Alternative Physics Books?

CodyGelb

I personally didn't like the Tsoko's book. However, if you can understand it, it's actually very very comprehensive.

Dude the Tsoko's Book is amazing I know that Understanding it is difficult however this book will be for ever one of the best Physics books that I ever read <3 and studied from this year we their was two question in the External IB exams exactly the same type of question I just want to say that it worth solving the example question in this book and studying from other study guides for the real IB exams ;)

I SERIOUSLY recommend Tsokos! In our Physics exams for SL, SO MANY questions came from it in the exam (P1, what are the conditions for conservation of momentum and me answering "no external forces act on the system" and it's just an amazing book overall.

However when it comes to Quantum Physics Option for SL. I'm having a sort of dislike for Tsokos since he doesn't explain the relevance of nuclear energy levels (which came on options) ;). Still Tsokos is awesome!

I prepared for my IB exam with the Giancoli Physics Book and I think I did quite well. Giancoli explains in a way that sticks in your head and the end of the chapter examples cover all grounds. It's very comprehensive and I don't know what I would have done without it. While Tsokos is quite good too, I found the explanations to be quite vague and simplified.

• 2 weeks later...

A point to watch in Tsokos' "Physics for the IB Diploma" is that, even in the latest (fifth) edition of his book, the Topic numbers do not all correspond with those of the current IBO Physics syllabus, and the material for IBO Topics 9-14 is to be found in Tsokos towards the end of the chapters for Topics 2-8.

Hence many of the equations given in the IBO Physics Data Booklet that you can consult during the exams are listed under different Topic numbers from those in Tsokos' book.

eg:

Tsokos Topic 8: Digital Technology

IBO Topic 8: Energy, power and climate change.

However, the Options A-J are labeled correctly in Tsokos' book, and all the topics are correctly identified in his "Physics Exam Preparation Guide", which was published more recently.

I don't feel like the Tsokos book has helped me much, but maybe for someone with a better grasp of physics it would be useful. Also, if you're like me and find that working backwards from the answer is helpful, check out my post with all of the answers to the Tsokos book.

http://www.ibsurvival.com/topic/20552-solutions-for-all-textbook-problems/

• 3 months later...