IB Smacher Glau

Yea its the first time for me to encounter such a question

I'm used to questions about fixed/lose ends

But this one was different!

By the way, I think 24 hours have already passed for Paper 3

So we can discuss it

I did Astrophysics and Electromagnetic Waves

They weren't bad at all :)

In paper one, there is +150 and -150, how do u know which way point goes?

The question did not ask for the direction the "point" goes to, but it asked for the direction of the FIELD at the point (doesnt make a difference, but noticed like 2 secs before time was up and was afraid it could change everything, ofc I couldnt think straight ^^)

Both astro and medical physics on p3 were great, I could answer every single question and am pretty positive I can get a 7

I think I got 300 moving to the left. Because the positive field would be repelling and the negative field would be attracting therefore they would add together and become 300, no?

Yea but you have to divide by the distance between the plates, which is 2 meters.

The answer 150 is correct!

• Like 1

Guys what about the question about the thick and thin wire

And we have to know what happens to the reflected and transmitted pulse

I answered:

Reflected: Inverted

Transmitted: Not-Inverted

What do you think?

Seems right! http://www.acs.psu.edu/drussell/Demos/reflect/reflect.html (Hm, I hope posting links to external sources isn't against IBS rules, if so, please accept my apologies!)

If I remember correctly, the second medium was denser than the first... (The rope was thicker, correct?) Feeling a little bit more confident now. (Just a tiny tiny bit)

Overall, I find it really hard to judge how my papers went... Do you know whether sooner or later it will be possible to access the examination papers (clean copies I mean) online?

Do you know whether sooner or later it will be possible to access the examination papers (clean copies I mean) online?

Some might be available by october (cuz at this time ard some nov11 papers are alrdy available on the net) but if you want a quicker access, ask your IB coordinator or your teachers. They have some copies.

I answered:

What do you think?

Seems right! http://www.acs.psu.e...ct/reflect.html (Hm, I hope posting links to external sources isn't against IBS rules, if so, please accept my apologies!)

If I remember correctly, the second medium was denser than the first... (The rope was thicker, correct?) Feeling a little bit more confident now. (Just a tiny tiny bit)

I'm quite sure that it was from thicker to thinner which from that simulation means that both are non-inverted. I just thought of it as a loose end of a string and explained it that way but in the end I think the IB would have wanted you to compare it with a pipe.

Also, just a couple thoughts on the questions of the particle colliding with the sphere.

If I remember correctly, the question gave the potential difference between the two. Thus the energy the particle needs to collide with the sphere is the potential difference * the particles charge. I then compared that to the particles kinetic energy (1/2mv^2) which was less and thus the two won't collide. Sound about right?

I answered:

What do you think?

Seems right! http://www.acs.psu.e...ct/reflect.html (Hm, I hope posting links to external sources isn't against IBS rules, if so, please accept my apologies!)

I'm quite sure that it was from thicker to thinner which from that simulation means that both are non-inverted. I just thought of it as a loose end of a string and explained it that way but in the end I think the IB would have wanted you to compare it with a pipe.

Also, just a couple thoughts on the questions of the particle colliding with the sphere.

If I remember correctly, the question gave the potential difference between the two. Thus the energy the particle needs to collide with the sphere is the potential difference * the particles charge. I then compared that to the particles kinetic energy (1/2mv^2) which was less and thus the two won't collide. Sound about right?

You might be true but I don't know I just wrote they won't collide from basic view that they have same charges :S

P2: I chose B2 and B3 – I struggled with the first part about the intensity of solar radiation because I forgot the formula for the area of a sphere. :P

Haha, that's exactly same what happened to me :D It's so frustrating when you forgot something so simple and then cannot finish the question. Nearly all students from my school felt that the Paper 1 was very easy and the Paper 2 was quite hard.. So I don't know yet what I'm going to get...

The answer to that question is 150 from (150-(-150))/2

Ohh wait you asked where it's going... I think should be to the left because the field is from positive to negative right?

Are you sure you divide by two? Recall that the field is uniform. It doesn't matter where the charge will be, there always be the same force on it.

Think of it this way, it gets closer the to the attracting charge, but farther away from the reuplsice charge, so the force is constant!

I'm pretty sure then that it's 300, and not 150. but I could be wrong.

The answer to that question is 150 from (150-(-150))/2

Ohh wait you asked where it's going... I think should be to the left because the field is from positive to negative right?

Are you sure you divide by two? Recall that the field is uniform. It doesn't matter where the charge will be, there always be the same force on it.

Think of it this way, it gets closer the to the attracting charge, but farther away from the reuplsice charge, so the force is constant!

I'm pretty sure then that it's 300, and not 150. but I could be wrong.

I asked my teacher and yes that's how you do it, coz you have to divide by the distance (formula is in the data booklet, the one at the bottom)

• 5 months later...