Physics HL Papers 1 + 2 TZ2

IB Smacher Glau

Anways any one attmepted the kinmatics question

The Kinematics question and the one with resolution and all? Yeah, I did. For the force acting I got 3.5 x 10^4 or something like that, for the time taken to stop something like 4.2 seconds, and the distance between galaxies to the order of 10^20.

Hm, so, let's see... At a certain point (think it was one of the Bs, thought I can't remember which) it asked me to calculate the period of the spring given its acceleration, mass and maximum displacement... Wasn't able to get that... Also, there was a whole part which required to calculate the energy radiated from the sun incident on the Earth's surface... Got 2/3 of that wrong, just managed the last part. :(

As for Paper 1, aren't 2-slit-openings excluded from the syllabus? In any case, I had no clue as to how to do that, and went random.

Hm, so, let's see... At a certain point (think it was one of the Bs, thought I can't remember which) it asked me to calculate the period of the spring given its acceleration, mass and maximum displacement... Wasn't able to get that... Also, there was a whole part which required to calculate the energy radiated from the sun incident on the Earth's surface... Got 2/3 of that wrong, just managed the last part. :(

As for Paper 1, aren't 2-slit-openings excluded from the syllabus? In any case, I had no clue as to how to do that, and went random.

Dude finding the period was really easy ! but the drawing the graph of displacemnt at 1.8 and explaining wt you drawed I had no idea how to tackle this question

for the peroid first you know that f=kx and f=ma

to find accelation a=f/m and you get f hence force by using the given values of k and x in the question pretty straight forward question and the answer for the accelation was important for the next question I guess c .

Dude finding the period was really easy ! but the drawing the graph of displacemnt at 1.8 and explaining wt you drawed I had no idea how to tackle this question

to find accelation a=f/m and you get f hence force by using the given values of k and x in the question pretty straight forward question and the answer for the accelation was important for the next question I guess c .

Yeah, I managed to find the acceleration by setting ma=-kx, but then couldn't find the period. To draw the graph 1.8cm later, I don't recall exactly but it was something along the lines of finding the velocity at which the pulse was traveling and then using such velocity to calculate how much time the pulse took to travel 1.8cm. At that point, you just shifted the graph you were given (it was a sine function I believe) by that value of t to the right.

2*pi/period = sqrt(k/m)

The period is 0.57 seconds I believe

For the 1.8 displacement

I divided 1.8 by the wavelength (2.4), the answer is 0.75

Multiply 0.75 by 360 = 270

So the graph must be shifted by 270 degrees

I found the question about the intensity to be easy

You divide the luminosity by 4*pi*d^2

Then multiply it by 0.7 (1-albedo)

For the next part you divide it by 4 to get 245 Wm^-2

For the double slit question

I'm not sure if it is in the syllabus

But I studied it anyways

Because I was doing option G

Edited by DeBrogliez

Gues

Yeah, I managed to find the acceleration by setting ma=-kx, but then couldn't find the period. To draw the graph 1.8cm later, I don't recall exactly but it was something along the lines of finding the velocity at which the pulse was traveling and then using such velocity to calculate how much time the pulse took to travel 1.8cm. At that point, you just shifted the graph you were given (it was a sine function I believe) by that value of t to the right.

I cant rembember the period question but overall it was good paper guess the boundaries will be really up !! ( maybe a 79 for a 7 )

For the thermodynamics question in section A i guesss it was easy right ! the final question asked for the total work done which is clacluated by area under curve ( 320 J if i can remember the correct value ) but in the first question I said that real gas is approximate to Ideal gas I said 1) high pressue 2) Low temp and it's supposed to be the opposite hope I will ge atleast a mark !!

For the thermodynamics question in section A i guesss it was easy right ! the final question asked for the total work done which is clacluated by area under curve ( 320 J if i can remember the correct value ) but in the first question I said that real gas is approximate to Ideal gas I said 1) high pressue 2) Low temp and it's supposed to be the opposite hope I will ge atleast a mark !!

I think this was B1

In section A they asked about the specific heat capacity

If I remember correctly!

I think this was B1

In section A they asked about the specific heat capacity

If I remember correctly!

ya btw for the specifc heat capacity are they joking or what what was the mass of argon ?

Random thoughts: I somehow feel pretty confident about P1, but then again past experience (mocks...) has shown that those feelings may not always be entirely accurate. :D

As to my P2, well, let's just say that it clearly was not the best of ideas to first not bother to do anything over the two years, and then only study for the finals the evening before P1 and P2... I guess I would have been fine had I just been able to sleep normally – but no, apparently this insomnia of mine just isn't going anywhere until the finals are over. I mean it was the basic mechanics questions in Section A that were the hardest for me, simply because my common sense was not working at all.

I really don't think I'll even get that 6. But maybe then, hopefully, a strong 5 – at least the grade boundaries in Physics are ridiculously low. Disappointing, but not surprising given the (lack of) effort I put in.

P1 speculation: For the phase difference question I got 3λ as well, by thinking that for each of the three dark fringes from the centre the OPDs must be 0.5λ, 1.5λ, 2.5λ, respectively. For the bright fringe after them it would then of course be 3λ – but I have very little clue about anything related to diffraction so I might be completely wrong with my thinking... Nonetheless, I guess this question could be interpreted to be more about the basic understanding of interference than double slits specifically?

How about the two wind turbines? I think I got 4P, but there was something slightly messed up about my calculations. The definition of renewable energy sources also gave me a headache – which one is it that matters, the rate at which the source is consumed or the actual renewability of the source? I ended up going with the latter (seemed the obvious choice), but yet technically even fossil fuels will be renewable if just a sufficient time span is considered, no?

P2: I chose B2 and B3 – I struggled with the first part about the intensity of solar radiation because I forgot the formula for the area of a sphere. :P So I did a reverse calculation of some sort, hoping for a lenient and careless examiner, and then managed most of the rest. About the Doppler effect question I can't remember a thing, but I have a vague memory about it being okay.

But could someone tell me what the two other questions in B2&3 were about? I really can't remember – that I think tells something about the level of sleep deprivation in which I was doing the exam...

I made many stupid mistakes. I did B1 B3 and B4 just cuz. I don't know why, it was stupid.

For the electricity question if they will collide, I calculated the change in potential and hence the kinetic enery reuired using eV=0.5mV^2.

I then calculated its kinetic energy by knowing its mass and velocity.

The required kinetic velocity was greater so they did not collide.

For the phase question I did 3 or 4, i don't remember which one, but I'm sure one of them is correct.

Hopefully the grade boundaries will be low.

P3: Astro was really easy, I got almost all the marks. Communications was very difficult, hopefully I got at least half the marks.

The kinematics and resolution/dopler effect was the easiest question in P2.

Random thoughts: I somehow feel pretty confident about P1, but then again past experience (mocks...) has shown that those feelings may not always be entirely accurate. :D

As to my P2, well, let's just say that it clearly was not the best of ideas to first not bother to do anything over the two years, and then only study for the finals the evening before P1 and P2... I guess I would have been fine had I just been able to sleep normally – but no, apparently this insomnia of mine just isn't going anywhere until the finals are over. I mean it was the basic mechanics questions in Section A that were the hardest for me, simply because my common sense was not working at all.

I really don't think I'll even get that 6. But maybe then, hopefully, a strong 5 – at least the grade boundaries in Physics are ridiculously low. Disappointing, but not surprising given the (lack of) effort I put in.

P1 speculation: For the phase difference question I got 3λ as well, by thinking that for each of the three dark fringes from the centre the OPDs must be 0.5λ, 1.5λ, 2.5λ, respectively. For the bright fringe after them it would then of course be 3λ – but I have very little clue about anything related to diffraction so I might be completely wrong with my thinking... Nonetheless, I guess this question could be interpreted to be more about the basic understanding of interference than double slits specifically?

How about the two wind turbines? I think I got 4P, but there was something slightly messed up about my calculations. The definition of renewable energy sources also gave me a headache – which one is it that matters, the rate at which the source is consumed or the actual renewability of the source? I ended up going with the latter (seemed the obvious choice), but yet technically even fossil fuels will be renewable if just a sufficient time span is considered, no?

P2: I chose B2 and B3 – I struggled with the first part about the intensity of solar radiation because I forgot the formula for the area of a sphere. :P So I did a reverse calculation of some sort, hoping for a lenient and careless examiner, and then managed most of the rest. About the Doppler effect question I can't remember a thing, but I have a vague memory about it being okay.

But could someone tell me what the two other questions in B2&3 were about? I really can't remember – that I think tells something about the level of sleep deprivation in which I was doing the exam...

Hey :D for the wind turbine question I ran out of time and I just choosed 4 :S hoping it will be correct .. but overall this year physics and math was much much more easier than the past year I think that the IBO is being lenient with the senior this year :P

I made many stupid mistakes. I did B1 B3 and B4 just cuz. I don't know why, it was stupid.

For the electricity question if they will collide, I calculated the change in potential and hence the kinetic enery reuired using eV=0.5mV^2.

I then calculated its kinetic energy by knowing its mass and velocity.

The required kinetic velocity was greater so they did not collide.

For the phase question I did 3 or 4, i don't remember which one, but I'm sure one of them is correct.

Hopefully the grade boundaries will be low.

P3: Astro was really easy, I got almost all the marks. Communications was very difficult, hopefully I got at least half the marks.

The kinematics and resolution/dopler effect was the easiest question in P2.

heyy :D I dont think that they will collide the examiner will be surprized by the mixed responses :P also for paper 3 it was really easy I almost finished communication and medical in half an hours maybe I will lose little marks only :P hoping for a 7 in that paper to atleast secure a 6 :!

I was screwed in paper 1 :(

I didn't know what to interchanged the position of the magntic field and force in the mass spectrometer

You mean the question about region X and Y?

If I remember correctly

Region X: Electric and Magnetic

Region Y: Magnetic only

You mean the fields needed for acceleration and deflection? I know this from my chemistry option and not physics - but for acceleration you need an electric field, and for deflection you need a magnetic field. I was tempted to say both fields exist in acceleration but I trusted what I learnt in chem more than my gut feeling :P

For the 1.8 displacement

I divided 1.8 by the wavelength (2.4), the answer is 0.75

Dafuq???? I got wavelength=1.7 -____- this is bad. Really, really bad.

In my point of view paper 1 will have relatively low boundaries

I really really hope it'll still be around 70% overall for a 7. Otherwise I'm really gonna cry.