Question about Canadian Universities

supershivz27

Hi everyone,

Whenever I look at university admission websites, they say you need to have a total of x points to get into the program. Which is fine, but my question is - does that mean as long as my final total is 36, for example, I'm in?

Like I'm a poor math student, but I excel in courses like biology, history and chemistry. And the worst case scenario is getting a 3 or 4 in math, but can I still get into a Life Sci program here?

Thanks guys, I'm just super worried.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Whenever I look at university admission websites, they say you need to have a total of x points to get into the program. Which is fine, but my question is - does that mean as long as my final total is 36, for example, I'm in?

Like I'm a poor math student, but I excel in courses like biology, history and chemistry. And the worst case scenario is getting a 3 or 4 in math, but can I still get into a Life Sci program here?

Yes, I believe so. My understanding is that in general Canadian universities will only require you to do well in your main subjects. I got a 3 in chemistry SL because I hate chemistry but that didn't pose any problems for me.

• Like 1

You can get into quite a few Canadian unis for life sci with a 3/4 in math SL. For example UBC science only requires a 3 in math SL for consideration, and UBC is pretty reputable.

But if you're from Canada, they will look at your percentage grades before they consider your IB grades. They may not even consider your IB grades at all if your percentage grades are good enough for admission.

But if you want to have a look at the IB requirements, here you go (I'll list the ones you tagged in your post)

McGill requires a 6 in math (SL or HL, they don't care) and a 6 in two science courses (SL or HL). http://www.mcgill.ca...g/standards/ib/

U of T requires 28 points overall (they don't seem to have specific subject requirements, but you would need more than 28 to be considered competitive as life sci is one of their more competitive programs) http://www.artsci.ut...ool-students/ib

McMaster: they require 33-34 points overall: http://www.mcmaster.ca/oia/IB.htm

Like chrypton said, you just have to do well in your main subjects, they don't really care if you get a 3 in French or some subject not related to your course of study. However, I would say math is relevant to life sci.

You won't get into every uni with that score in math but you stand a good chance at many of them.

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

To answer your first question...

That total of points you see on their admission websites is the minimum credit score required for consideration. This means that if you have a lower credit than the one they suggest for that specific program, you are most likely not to be considered for admission. However, if your mark is higher, then they will consider it, and the more chances you have on getting accepted compared to someone who has an IB credit of 32.

Note: In Ontario for example, the universities will look at my Ontario grade first prior to my IB grade. However, if my IB grade is higher than my Ontario grade, they will consider that instead. (Some will convert that IB grade into a percentage grade. Like a 5 IB is equivalent to an 82%) An example of a university that does that is University of Toronto.

To answer the second question...

After they consider your admission, the Canadian universities will see if you have the appropriate prerequisites and grades for certain subjects. Most prerequisites for any life sciences program here in Canada is:

English

Calculus (So Math)

Biology

Some others might require:

Chemistry

or Physics

Most universities will want a minimum of a 5 IB for the courses listed above.

The websites that Summer put are very useful!! You can also check out http://www.aucc.ca/canadian-universities/ Which is like a directory for all Universities here in Canada. Browse around and you can find loads of information!

P.S: All the information I posted here are from booklets I have received from a university fair I went to a month ago this year. I also consulted the University representatives there, like ones from UofT and McGill. So hopefully this helps! :)

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I've heard a lot about how tough life sciences are at UofT, and how a large number of students drop out the first year. I was accepted into UofT for the fall semester, and was wondering if doing IB adequately prepares you for what lies ahead, and how the workload compares.

Yes I have to. Well I believe, the reason as to why many applicants simply drop out the first year is because they were not prepared for the workload awaiting them.

I mean I cannot say wether or not IB prepares you for university because I am still in highschool and have another year left. But this is what a few of my friends in Uni (who graduated IB and go to uofT) have said:

• SOME recieved transfer credits, and jumped a couple courses (or skipped) because they had the prerequisite/grade to do so. So, they are ahead and are considered 2nd year students or take less classes.
  • One friend of mine who takes engineering at UofT (which is also very challenging) says that IB definetly prepared him for the workload and it isnt so much of a schock to him. He said that the workload he recieved in IB compared to in uni are relatively the same however, uni is obviously more challenging.

So in the end, I think IB just really helps you with time management specifically at UofT. But in the end, you just have to do your readings and self study because there will be a lot of liberty (like time) which may tempt you to slack off.

Hopefully I helped with ur question.. but still ask around for someone with more knowledge than I. :P

Edited by funny10sport

I've heard a lot about how tough life sciences are at UofT, and how a large number of students drop out the first year. I was accepted into UofT for the fall semester, and was wondering if doing IB adequately prepares you for what lies ahead, and how the workload compares.

I think the above poster is right in a way, people drop out after first year because they aren't prepared for university. But why do a larger proportion of UofT life sci students drop out than at life sci programs at other unis? It's because UofT accepts a LOT of students into first year. Much more than they have space for. So, they make first year hard to weed out weaker students and cut down on their class sizes.

However I think doing IB would give you an advantage because if you don't take the transfer credit and do first year courses, it will mostly be stuff you have already learned in IB. So you won't be spending as much time studying hopefully. UofT life sci may not be so bad for you in first year. But for the subsequent years, I have no idea...

• Like 1