IB Math SL paper 1

Outis

I got one as 5/11, I think it was c, as for b....I think it was 11/21....not sure though...

how did you get 11/21? this is the one with the two white balls from bag A right?? I just multiplied the probabilities of getting white balls along the branches of the tree diagram so I got 3/7 * 2/6 = 1/7

not sure if I read the question wrong now, do you remember how many white balls there were in total in bag A?

Yeah I got 1/7 too

I forgot the question actually but if I recall correctly for the first part you were definitely supposed to multiply along the brances because it had something to do with getting two white balls right? Which meant white ball first AND second, meaning you multiply. So for part a it was something like 4 x 3 upon err 42 (6 x 7) giving you 12/42 so 2/7? Sorry if my values are wrong really don't remember, but I know it was about getting two white balls.

I believe there were 3 or 4 white balls in the first bag, and then 1 less or 1 more in the second bag. C part was slightly more annoying, or what is d part? Where conditional probability comes into play and you are rolling a die. But I'm pretty sure I did it correctly though I confused myself for a moment. You had to take the probability of rolling whatever particular numbers and multiply it into the probability of getting the white ball from that bag (Bag A?) and that give you the intersection between them, and then that upon total probaility of getting white ball from Bag A alone... or something. So it was the same probability you got from part a into the probability of like 2/6 (getting a either a 1 or 2 on a 6-sided die) upon something... haha sorry I tend to blip out papers from my memory until the scores come out.

Edited by ro_1293x

For TZ1, question #10 : Was the second point 5pi/6? Also, what did the final area under the curve turn out to be?

yes the second point was 5π/6.

regarding the question about final area, was that the last question 10 D, which asked for the distance he traveled between the π/6 and 5π/6.

I got one as 5/11, I think it was c, as for b....I think it was 11/21....not sure though...

how did you get 11/21? this is the one with the two white balls from bag A right?? I just multiplied the probabilities of getting white balls along the branches of the tree diagram so I got 3/7 * 2/6 = 1/7

not sure if I read the question wrong now, do you remember how many white balls there were in total in bag A?

Hmmm....I am really sorry...I do not remeber the question correctly and I am not sure about my answer either.

But yea, when I did it I multiplied along the branches of the tree, so I might have mistook the numbers (but I think part b asked for the probability of getting a white ball, either from A and B...not sure though....you are probably asking about parta which I got a 1/7 too for it)

Edited by Ageha

For TZ1, question #10 : Was the second point 5pi/6? Also, what did the final area under the curve turn out to be?

yes the second point was 5π/6.

regarding the question about final area, was that the last question 10 D, which asked for the distance he traveled between the π/6 and 5π/6.

Not to be a prick or w.e. but doubt that it was 5pi/6 as that is the point that was ALREADY given so we obv had to solve for the 2nd one not the same one. Personally, I didn't find an answer and lots of people thought it was a screw up, I just randomly wrote pi/2 and integrated to find distance (FT marks. :D)

Edited by apple.toronto

5π/6 wasn't given as far as i know, π/6 was. and the the points were limited to thoses between 0 and π.

And i didn't bother integrating. I used the distance fuction which was already given to find out the distance

.... ah how much i wish to take a look at that paper again....

For the final area under the curve i got 2pi/3 + root(3). I checked it on the calculator when i got home and it matched with what I got on the paper 1.

Edited by kahojonny

I did TZ1 too

pi/6 was given, you had to find the other solution, which was 5pi/6

For the last question (distance) I used the function that was already given, and I got 2pi/3 + root(3)

And I actually thought TZ1 exams were a lot easier, if not the same, as TZ2. Every SL Math student in my school thought it was really easy this year, and that's about 200 people =)

For the final area under the curve i got 2pi/3 + cubedroot(3). I checked it on the calculator when i got home and it matched with what I got on the paper 1.

I don't remember exactly what question 10 demanded. Would it be possible for u to post what u remember of # 10

I did TZ1 too

pi/6 was given, you had to find the other solution, which was 5pi/6

For the last question (distance) I used the function that was already given, and I got 2pi/3 + root(3)

And I actually thought TZ1 exams were a lot easier, if not the same, as TZ2. Every SL Math student in my school thought it was really easy this year, and that's about 200 people =)

Yea this year's paper 1 was easier than i thought... although i ended up spending 20 minutes on question10 T_T

What really surprised me was paper 2 though.

very little calc, a lot of probability and stats. TBH i found paper 2 easier than paper 1

I always find paper 2 harder than paper 1, just because of the rounding, significant digits. I was really mad that there wasn't much calculus! There were around 4 questions that involved trigonometry, and one integration! I finished with 10 minutes to spare, because I check my answers before I move on to the next question. I also spent a fair amount of time on 10! A lot of people at my school said they got 2pi/3 as their answer as the last one, and we have a huge number of SL students, so I'm glad someone has the same answer as I did! And I guess I'm glad I didn't have TZ2 because those questions look hard!

Yeah, I also believe that the grade boundaries are going to be harsh.. Failed with conditional probabilities in both papers, though.

When you say harsh boundaries, do you mean that the boundaries will go down?

Yeah, I also believe that the grade boundaries are going to be harsh.. Failed with conditional probabilities in both papers, though.

Since the general impressions of this thread are that the exams were difficult, I believe that the "harsh boundaries" imply it will be easier to obtain a 7. Just my take on this ...

I personally found both exams quite easy so I don't know ...

Usually harsh boundaries imply they will be higher, hence it will be harder to get a higher grade.

Personally I thought the paper was relatively easy, maybe it's because I've done so many past papers? I had a few friends who found it harder than recent years. The only year I found extremely easy was 2011, soo I don't know.

Usually harsh boundaries imply they will be higher, hence it will be harder to get a higher grade.

Personally I thought the paper was relatively easy, maybe it's because I've done so many past papers? I had a few friends who found it harder than recent years. The only year I found extremely easy was 2011, soo I don't know.

I found both papers pretty easy. I'm just going off the fact that many users here have said it was harder than the past few years. But I have a feeling the boundaries will be harsh too

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...