Sciences+Math Combination for Medicine?

vineet777

Don't do the second option. Chemistry is seen as fundamental for any medicine courses (esp. here in the UK), therefore taking it at a lower level will hinder your chances of getting into those selective universities. If you're good enough to take HL Maths then just take SL Maths. SL Maths will be enough to get you into a good university for medicine as long as you score well in it (5+), but seeing as you're good enough for HL anyway, I'm guessing you could maybe score a 6/7?

• Like 2

Guest Lexie_

Chemistry is much more important for medicine that Mathematics and even Biology as far as I know, so I would advise you to take both of the sciences at HL, if you can :) Also, if you think you are able to do so - some people take 4 HL subjects.

You should think about what YOU want, and not what your teacher wants you to do :)

I started off taking all three as my highers, HL Maths, HL Biology, HL Chemistry, as I thought that's what unis and medical schools would prefer in an IB student but after about three months of HL Maths and University research, I dropped to SL Maths and moved up English. I can honestly say that with reference to doing the IB, that's the best decision I've made.

If you feel that Maths is your forte, then definitely go for HL Maths but be aware, it might push you further than you want to be pushed. The same can be said for Chemistry, but in applying for medicine, it's far more important than HL Maths. For example, out of the top twenty universities for medicine in the UK, most of them are looking for average scores of 36 in the IB with a 6, 6, 6, in HL Chemistry and one other science (Maths or Biology).

If you already have an idea of which universities you'll apply to, it would be worth checking out what they're asking for and making your decision based on that, but if not, go for what you think you can cope with for two, potentially l-o-n-g years :-D Good Luck!

• Like 1