Meditation; Mind Relaxing or Wasting of Time?

Fatih313

Hello. Some find that meditation is good to be practised, especially by IB students since IB students are always being stressful. It is said that meditation keeps your mind relax and you'll feel better if you undergo meditation. But some also find that meditation is a waste of time. I'm a Muslim and I am on Sufi meditation. I spend about 40 minutes per day for meditation alone. But within the 40 minutes, some do find that it is better to do assignments, to study, etc... So, what is your personal viewpoint regarding to meditation? If you are on meditation, how much do you spend per day for meditation alone?

Edited by Abbas al-Qadiri

Mediation can be good but for me it's not that effective when I do it for too long. It becomes pointless :teehee:

I rarely do that though... i've done it like 5 times in yoga but it I just imagine i'm a butterfly that's ruling the world :proud:

All in all, just chillin' for a little bit is a better alternative to 40 minutes a day meditating :yes:

• Like 1

I meditate for 10 minutes every day even though im not stressed..its a good habit :)

Plus i do 30 minutes of yoga every morning when i wake up..you fell much more energized to take the day on :D omg AWB i had nooooo idea you did yoga hahahahaha nice one bud lol

But i agree..isn't 40 minutes a bit much??

• Like 1

Mediation can be good but for me it's not that effective when I do it for too long. It becomes pointless :teehee:

I rarely do that though... i've done it like 5 times in yoga but it I just imagine i'm a butterfly that's ruling the world :proud:

All in all, just chillin' for a little bit is a better alternative to 40 minutes a day meditating :yes:

The meditation that I practise is not the same as yoga. Its more to reciting Quranic verses and chanting God's name. :)

I meditate for 10 minutes every day even though im not stressed..its a good habit :)

Plus i do 30 minutes of yoga every morning when i wake up..you fell much more energized to take the day on :D omg AWB i had nooooo idea you did yoga hahahahaha nice one bud lol

But i agree..isn't 40 minutes a bit much??

Lol but you spend 40 minutes for meditation everyday too (10 minutes of meditation and 30 minutes of yoga in the morning). XD

But, yeah. Maybe I should reduce it to half an hour.

I don't think I could ever meditate, daily at least, my mind is always racing wondering what I'm going to do next, and then what I'm going to do after that, etc. It's a never ending cycle :panic:

Try it. Start with 5 minutes of daily meditation. And feel the difference. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Waste of time! You could be achieving things in that time. Or if you need to relax, maybe do some exercise rather than just sitting around randomly chanting things. It'll help your mind and your body that way. Exercise well, eat well, sleep well, think well :D Also drink well but that doesn't necessarily lend itself to the other 4...

For me it doesn't work. I'd rather use that time chatting, procrastinating, etc.

I don't know any IB student that meditates.

Now you've known some. :)

On the other hand, I think meditating (and the opinions about it) may be a cultural thing. It is not a western thing.

It's a religious thing. Christians also meditate though. Try to search for hesychasm and lectio divina. :)

It's a religious thing. Christians also meditate though. Try to search for hesychasm and lectio divina. :)

Make sure that you know it isn't just linked to religion. Many many many people who aren't religious can and do meditate if they want to. Meditation just calms people down. That's all it does in the end, there's no link to a divine authority (though some people falsely claim that religious meditation proves god lol, sorry, off topic).

Edited by Award Winning Boss

Coming from a very multicultural background, meditation is something very common amoungst my indian side of the family because its part of their culture, or upbringing you can say. So yes it can be a cultural or religious aspect, but it also something commonly practiced by others too.

As for IB though (and in my life) I don't find it that effective. I like to take 5 min brakes inbetween my study time to destress and breathe. But as for meditation, I feel more productive if I go to the gym, dance or play sports. So basically some physical activity. And after a good workout, I feel so much more pumped! (counts for CAS hrs too!)

But don't get me wrong, if meditation works for you, to destress and all, I say go for it!

Make sure that you know it isn't just linked to religion. Many many many people who aren't religious can and do meditate if they want to. Meditation just calms people down. That's all it does in the end, there's no link to a divine authority (though some people falsely claim that religious meditation proves god lol, sorry, off topic).

Lol. Of course people who are not religious do meditation too. I'm not religious myself. :)

• 2 weeks later...

ok, in my point of view meditation is waist of time...personally i would recommend for you to take a run, it increases blood flow to your brain, keeps you healthy, gives you a brake, and personally when i run i tend to not think about homework. Good Luck

Meditation has always been interesting to me, but I never seemed to do it. It's not that I don't want to. I don't know how to, and... well... what to think during meditation? I know this sounds completely stuupid, but how can you not think for 30 minutes? How can you relax enough so that you come to that state of *I don't know what is it called* where there's just you and yourself left? I tend to do that when I listen to some songs, or draw, but I think then... my mind just wonders to some other place :D. Can someone introduce this to me? XD. Maybe the things I just said are completely wrong. But when it comes to meditation, I'm such an... well. ignorant :D

i also just found this website and when i saw it I immediately thought of this conversation... it lasts for 90 sec and sometime that can be enough before you start some scary and big essay or something to that extent. It has the concept of slow music that is peaceful and graceful...http://thequietplaceproject.com/90seconds# please check this out and tell me how it works. In some way this is a form of meditation, it stops you for those 90 seconds from the hectic life and helps you forget your problems for some time...