Reflective statement

Bhagyashree

A reflective statement is used in English after an IO, and it's just what it sounds like. You reflect on the presentation of the book(s) that were presented. You will use information from either this or your "supervised writing" to come up with the topic for the World Lit paper.

• 1 month later...

For each work that is read in Part 1 of the course you have to write a reflective statement. You write it after interactive orals have been done on the work in your class. The interactive orals can be done individually but it usually involves a group discussion. Your reflective statement should be based on the interactive orals as the interactive orals addresses the following:

• Ways in which the setting matter in the work
  • What was easy and difficult to understand in relation to social and cultural contextual issues
  • Connections between issues in the work and your own culture(s) and experience(s)
  • What aspects of technique were interesting in the work

Your reflective statement should be, as aforementioned, 300-400 words and should be based on the question "How was your understanding of cultural and contextual considerations of the work developed through the interactive oral?".

As the name implies you have to do some reflection upon yourself in order to expound upon your development of the context and culture involved in the work.

Good luck! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Do you think they will be hard with the gradings or will it be easy to score a 3 on it? They don't explicitly explain what it it should include so it's quite hard to guess what they would like... (The IBO)

I think it won't be a walk-over but it's definitely not impossible. I think what they're really looking out for here is signs that you've developed a contextual understanding from the work. There were some sample reflective statements that were given to us and I found that IBO graded rather toughly on them (when I predicted a 3 they graded a 1 :\ ).

That's what my teacher said too. She said she though the sample given should get a 3, but it was only given a 2, and she couldn't figure out why it was not given a 3.

Did the sample you received come from an English A1 textbook? Cuz that's where I found the sample reflective statements.