IB MYP - Plagiarism - I seriously need help...

jw10029

Hi everyone, so I'm now in my final year of the MYP Programme and I heard that there will be tons of assessments sent for moderation. I recently finished a science research essay that will be sent for moderation and I copied quite a lot of stuff from an online essay. I submitted my work through Turnitin.com and surprisingly, the system detected only 10% of plagiarism. Will IB find out that I copied most of my stuff from an online source? Thanks!

If you cited all your sources then you should have no problem. Turnitin picks up strings of text that match text in other files in its database, but if you've acknowledged your sources, it's not considered plagiarism. 10% similarity is pretty low assuming you have cited your sources.

Edited by ninety
  • Like 2

Thank you guys so much for your responses. Your replies are extremely helpful and valuable to me. After all, I realized that I should NEVER EVER cheat or plagiarize on my assessments. By the way, I heard that if you are caught for plagiarizing in DP, you will get a big fat zero. Is that true? Thanks!

It`s possible, but probably unlikely. You should,hopefully, learn from this and stop cheating though... Cheating in MYP is probably like a slap on the wrist, but it`s not something you want to do again.

Thanks Vol de Mort, but what if they do find out that I cheated on my essay? Will I get kicked out of school or fail my MYP? Thanks!

Yes, if the IB catches you with plagiarizing on something they are moderating such as world lit, extended essay etc, they will not let you get the diploma that year so you have to sit for the following exams. Happened to a student at my school, and he lost his diploma, apparently it was absolutely ridiculous and he should not have been accused for plagiarizing, the school even tried to convince the IB but there was nothing they could do.

• Like 1

Yes, if the IB catches you with plagiarizing on something they are moderating such as world lit, extended essay etc, they will not let you get the diploma that year so you have to sit for the following exams. Happened to a student at my school, and he lost his diploma, apparently it was absolutely ridiculous and he should not have been accused for plagiarizing, the school even tried to convince the IB but there was nothing they could do.

Thanks glorii, but what about MYP? Will I fail my MYP if IB catches me for plagiarizing? Thanks!

http://ibo.org/become/guidance/documents/MYPGeneralregulations_e_FINALFILE.pdf

read this link, it gives you everything you need to know. If an assessment moderated by the IB is accused of plagiarism, they will not moderate it and tell your school to deal with the issue. So thankfully it is not as strict as it is in the DP program. Good luck!

• Like 1

If you cited all your sources then you should have no problem. Turnitin picks up strings of text that match text in other files in its database, but if you've acknowledged your sources, it's not considered plagiarism. 10% similarity is pretty low assuming you have cited your sources.

well i have to say this really depends on what they mean by copy if you blatently do it then yeah you will get call out. a kid from my school got expelled for it ( he did it reapeatedly) and another kid did it like 2 and he had to redo everything one week before the dateline. thats for IBMYP

normally they are not as strict as the DP.

• Like 1

Thanks glorii, but what about MYP? Will I fail my MYP if IB catches me for plagiarizing? Thanks!

just FYI, i strongly suggest you dont copy anything paraphrase it even it you cited it dont do that. what glorii is talking about is DP but to be honestly the MYP system is not super strict and also the school DOES NOT send all your papers out, they pick a couple from each subject so not everyone papers are moderated. and the moderation is for just checking whether school grades it correctly not about plagiarism. your won school is supposed to look for that in the first place.

• Like 1

It`s possible, but probably unlikely. You should,hopefully, learn from this and stop cheating though... Cheating in MYP is probably like a slap on the wrist, but it`s not something you want to do again.

Thanks Vol de Mort, but what if they do find out that I cheated on my essay? Will I get kicked out of school or fail my MYP? Thanks!

Once again, what's done is done. If you do or don't get your MYP Diploma, think of this as a lesson. Hopefully, you will get something out of this, regardless of the outcome.

just FYI, i strongly suggest you dont copy anything paraphrase it even it you cited it dont do that. what glorii is talking about is DP but to be honestly the MYP system is not super strict and also the school DOES NOT send all your papers out, they pick a couple from each subject so not everyone papers are moderated. and the moderation is for just checking whether school grades it correctly not about plagiarism. your won school is supposed to look for that in the first place.

Thanks alisonfaith297, I was wondering how will the school choose papers for moderation? Will they choose, for instance, student A but not student B for moderation? Thanks!

Thanks alisonfaith297, I was wondering how will the school choose papers for moderation? Will they choose, for instance, student A but not student B for moderation? Thanks!

The school doesn't choose the papers for moderation. IB sends your school a list of students whose work they want, and your school sends the work off to IB. It's a completely random process. IB won't deliberately pick on certain students. HOWEVER, they usually take a group of students with varied grades (say, someone who got a 4 and someone who got a 6) to make the moderation fairer.

And referring to my previous post, I DON'T mean that you can copy a source word for word as long as you cite it.

I wonder if they do this for DP. Do they? :hmmm: