Can be a vet and eat meat?

Guest The Guardian of Asgard

Guest The Guardian of Asgard

Well this occurred to me since I'm an aspiring vet, do you think it makes sense to save animals lives and then let them be mass produced just to slaughtered? Can you image having a pack of sausages with your name on it since you were born? Isn't their existence futile in its purest form?

I'd say that so long as the meat is reared and killed ethically then there's no problem. I'm an aspiring naturalist myself, and I've often wondered whether or not eating meat is hypocritical, but I always come to the conclusion that it's a natural thing (provided it's ethical and not tainted by GM). Vegetarianism is a very personal thing, but I can see no more reason for a vet to be veggie than anybody else.

It sounds contradictory, but I think a vet can eat meat.

It is natural for humans to eat meat. The human body needs the proteins obtained from it. Vegetarians sometimes have trouble regulating this.

Lions and Wolves don't think it twice before eating meat, because they need it for survival.

If you are worried about how the meat you eat was treated, you could search which products are treated properly before being killed.

That's my opinion ;)

• 8 months later...

i feel like you should eat what you feel comfortable eating. if you are uncomfortable eating meat, then dont. theres no right or wrong.

I agree that it doesn't really matter what you eat- it's up to you. but there is a right and wrong. we have covered in TOK that there has to be a right and wrong. just like truth, there is an absolute truth and and an absolute "right" and there is no inbetween. however, i don't believe that we can have a full grasp of what is "right". as a Christian, I personally believe that God has the answers and we will find out when hopefully we achieve heaven. in conclusion, there is a right and wrong, we just don't have a full concept of what is absolutely right and absolutely wrong due to human error.

• Like 1

i feel like you should eat what you feel comfortable eating. if you are uncomfortable eating meat, then dont. theres no right or wrong.

I agree that it doesn't really matter what you eat- it's up to you. but there is a right and wrong. we have covered in TOK that there has to be a right and wrong. just like truth, there is an absolute truth and and an absolute "right" and there is no inbetween. however, i don't believe that we can have a full grasp of what is "right". as a Christian, I personally believe that God has the answers and we will find out when hopefully we achieve heaven. in conclusion, there is a right and wrong, we just don't have a full concept of what is absolutely right and absolutely wrong due to human error.

As a 'Christian' the 'right and wrong' are given in Leviticus 11 of the bible. But I don't believe choosing what you eat should be a 'comfort' thing. There are many weird people who feel comfortable doing weird things. Doesn't justify it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jun/01/suspect-ate-heart-brains-victim (not for the faint-hearted)

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm a vet, someone who helps treat animals and save their lives, eats an animal. Sounds pretty contradictory to me. But hey, you are free to chose and act how you want. And besides, it all depends on the culture you are brought up in and your personal values. For example, someone who was brought up in a Sikh religion are vegetarian due to their beliefs. Someone else can be a vegetarian because they love animals and wouldn't want to eat one. Someone can equally eat meat because nothing tastes better than a good ol chicken stir fry!

Its a personal choice :P