Historical Investigation

Lilbailey

Hey guys. For my Historical Investigation I somehow want to connect music and war. I know music therapy was created during the end of WWII, and I was wondering if a good topic would be how music therapy has affected war veterans, or how music has affected [insert specific war here]. Comments, questions, concerns? I know I have all 3 =)

How music therapy has affected war veterans is not history. I don't even know what it is, maybe psychology or something, but I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with History and for IAs you need to focus on sources, you'll not get a lot from this topic. The second one is not that bad but I highly doubt you'll be able to state it did affect a war since it basically affects the people involved in it but not the course of events. I'd search for other topics. I think you'd be able to do a succesful IA if you talk about how [instert specific historic event] developed the arts (music, painting, dancing, whatever) For example, "To what extent was the mexican revolution the principal cause for the rise of different artistic movements in Mexico during the first quarter of the 20th century?" Something like that. :)

Procrastination

Here's what I'm thinking now. 3 different topics.

1. analyse the theory that the spanish weren't the fist ones that came to America

2. to what extent did the CIA know about 9-11 and to what extent could they have prevented it?

3. How does the re-education of the youth during the Chinese Cultural Revolution compare to the formation and educating of Hitler's youth?

Here's what I'm thinking now. 3 different topics.

1. analyse the theory that the spanish weren't the fist ones that came to America

Who would you say was the first?

2. to what extent did the CIA know about 9-11 and to what extent could they have prevented it?

This looks like an analysis of conspiracy theoeries

Maybe someone better at history will help a bit more

Would you say the portuguese? Or those polynesian indians with their awesome boats?

Yep. Too much conspiracy. You can be sure most of 2013 students will do their History IA's on 9-11 since it happened 10 years ago.

3. How does the re-education of the youth during the Chinese Cultural Revolution compare to the formation and educating of Hitler's youth?

This is actually very interesting! I don't think there have been many people who have made a comparison, indeed there has been many students in the past who have selected some of your topics but joining them?? Exquisite. I like it! Talk to your teacher and tell him about it

Yep. Too much conspiracy. You can be sure most of 2013 students will do their History IA's on 9-11 since it happened 10 years ago.

I agree: it's conspiracy all the way. I don't even think it would be possible to actually research it, if they knew about it and didn't prevent it, I highly doubt they announce it everywhere.

Why would 2013ers write about 9/11? 10 years is not that much of a history, I remember sitting in front of the TV and watching it all live, it would be weird writing a HI on it...

My history teacher told us that those who do their Historical investigation on something they are currently studying are more likely to get better grades because they are able to do the following;

a) Spend more time on the essay and less on finding resources because they already have some to hand.

b) Be more prepared and knowledgeable personally about the topic because they have studied in (hopefully in depth) in class.

They also find that they are more prepared on that topic in their exams because they have gone beyond the syllabus.

Question 3 from what you thought of seems the best from the choices. The others aren't historical enough or as has already been said too focused on conspiracy and will be popular by 2013 as it is viable for use as a historical investigation.

9/11 isn't even taught in class, but that's beside the point. Trust me, nobody in at least my class would think about 9/11. They'll do whatever is easiest. Haha, anywho....Thanks for the imput guys. =)

Actually there is a lot of people who are going to do their HI on 9/11 because of the 10 year gap. It'll be like the most popular topic for 2013 since it would be "History" according to the IB and people will be able to find a lot of primary sources. It is not that original. Whenever someone in IB taking History thinks about the 10 year gap they inmediately think "Oh! So I can do my HI on something that ocurred in 2001. OH WAIT. 9/11. Hellyeah!". Anyways, I think you've got the correct IA with the one on Hitlerian Youth and Chairman Mao's China.

• 3 weeks later...