Subject choice help PLEASE! (regarding Chem HL)

alisonfaith297

HELLO!

i am in the midst of my first year and i'm am doing extremely badly with IB in general.

I know at this point it would be stupid to change subjects but i'm seriously worried. these are my scores as they stand for my lastest term grade

Bio (HL): 5

Chem (HL): 3

Psychology(HL): 6

Maths (SL): 6

Eng A lang and lit (SL): 5

Mandarian B (SL): 7 (also i'm pretty sure i dun deserve this cause my teacher is taking material and testing us using a abinito TB, she is seriously wasting my time but i think if i were to measure up to real chinese B SL then would probably be a 5)

Well, as you can see it is obvious that i suck at chem. For my school we still have a month to change out HL and SL but we cant change subjects. i was orginally thinking considering my test scores, i might change chem to SL (so less damage), and take eng as HL. but then i not sure considering that the eng HL class has already moved really far ahead.. i may be ranting but i need some advice, i really feel like i have messed IB up when i just started...

Hey well, i wouldn't advise taking maths at a higher level because for me that's suicide :P unless you have a thing for maths and can cope with it. Can you take Mandarin at a higher level? If you don't feel like doing english at HL then mandarin B would be your only option (unless you're considering maths too). But in my opinion, you should take english HL, that's your best bet and well just make up for what you've lost, get the books they've been doing in HL and read them. Get to where the english HL class is as of now, and i'm sure you'll be fine :)

I'd recommend going with English HL. It is one that can help you in all the areas of IB. Also it seems to be your only option, unles you want to take Mandarin to HL, which is rumored to be quite hard. English HL is also hard, but if you're willing to put the work in, then it should be fine. As for being behind, well if you read the books, and just go over someone's notes from HL, I'm sure you'll be fine. In my school HL and SL English are together in one class and we haven't done anything different till now so I'm sure that should be fine :)

hey thanks guys for your help!! i have another qn, in general would you day as your term progresses and you get more report cards, do your grades typically slide or go up, because i have heard many answers from the IBYR2 in my school.

uhm well, it will differ from person to person. But as for me, they've been climbing although there were times when they went down by a point or two, they always went back up. And this only applies to 3 of my subjects, business, psychology and maths :P

• 1 month later...

Hello!

I just started using the IB survival.

I would like to share my IB sujbects which I will choose for next year, and I want your opinion/ thoughts on it!

• Language A : English SL
  • Language B: Swedish HL
  • Humanities: Economics HL
  • Science: Physics HL
  • Science: Chemistry SL
  • Mathematics SL

​So what do you think?

How is Physics HL? is it very difficult?

Should I take Math. HL? and is that difficult as-well?

Do you think those choices are fine to get me into a good university ?

Hello!

I just started using the IB survival.

I would like to share my IB sujbects which I will choose for next year, and I want your opinion/ thoughts on it!

• Language A : English SL
  • Language B: Swedish HL
  • Humanities: Economics HL
  • Science: Physics HL
  • Science: Chemistry SL
  • Mathematics SL

​So what do you think?

How is Physics HL? is it very difficult?

Should I take Math. HL? and is that difficult as-well?

Do you think those choices are fine to get me into a good university ?

yes physics HL is difficult. maths HL is even more difficult. what do you wanna study at uni? whether your choices can get you into uni depends on the course you want to take up. if you want to take something like medicine then clearly your choices won't help you at all.

• Like 1

@Desy Glau

Thank you for your response! Well I am not really thinking of taking Math HL, it's too much for me. I am not yet clear for what to study in university, probably electronic engineering, or computer science. I have no idea what are the requirements for that.. Thank you again!

Electronic engineering will require Physics HL. I would have thought that computer science would require Maths HL, but don't quote me on that

@Desy Glau

Thank you for your response! Well I am not really thinking of taking Math HL, it's too much for me. I am not yet clear for what to study in university, probably electronic engineering, or computer science. I have no idea what are the requirements for that.. Thank you again!

what a coincidence! I applied for Comp Sci as well.

where do you intend to continue your study though? (which country?)

for all Engineering courses you'll need Maths and Physics HL. for Computer Science you'll need Maths HL (note that some top universities would be even happier if you have Further Maths or Physics HL on top of Maths HL). at least that's the typical requirements in the UK.

I suggest dropping Swedish down to SL because it's irrelevant. but if you feel that this language is worth learning at HL, drop your Econ.

talk to me if you want more info on Engineering or CS. (I initially wanted to apply for Engineering so I am quite knowledgeable)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I would honestly just stick with it and try your best...you are doing well in your other two HL and as long as they equal 12 with only one 3 you are good to go. Try getting a tutor and just study really hard, ask your teacher for previous tests and stuff :) Good luck with whatever you decide to do!