How can I rewrite my hypothesis to seem "more appropriate?"

Aquamarina

Recently, my teacher gave back our IA outline sheets that had basically everything our project was going to be on. I got mine back with a big, fat, REDO on the top of it. Naturally, I went to go talk to my teacher, who said my hypothesis wasn't "appropriate" enough. My topic is seeing if there is a correlation between colour preference & gender. My hypothesis was quite simple: "Males will prefer the darker colours as opposed to females."

My teacher, however, wasn't thrilled. She said, "Well, there are people in Paris who wear black just because everyone wears black. & what about the people who are gothic? They wear black because they want to & it's part of their movement." I wasn't going to choose another topic, because I had already collected my data & my hypothesis was proven, so I asked her what I could do. She said I could attempt to re-word it to seem more appropriate on a worldwide basis.

So, I understand where my teacher is coming from, but now I'm left with a dilemma: how am I gonna re-word this? I was thinking something along the lines of specifying what kinds of people I'm surveying, like saying "Among American high school sophomores, males will prefer darker colours to females," but I'm not sure.

Any suggestions?

Edited by Aquamarina

• 4 weeks later...

I also see where she's coming from though IMO it doesn't seem like THAT big of a deal.... regardless, maybe incorporating some social historical information to back up your hypothesis would help? Like for instance maybe something along the lines of "Males will prefer the darker colors as opposed to Females due to the fact that in pre-historic times, men were drawn to the darkness because of .... " or maybe "Males will prefer the darker colours as opposed to Females because psychologically females associate darker colors with bad things ..." . I would do some research on this sort of stuff, see what you can find out ! good luck !