Struggling in Maths Studies

Vanderlyle

Alright, don't laugh... I've been struggling in IB math studies.

I got a 2 in my math exam for grade 10 and upon being recommended to do studies for IB I STILL got a low mark on the final exam.

I always did the homework, payed attention in class and thought I'd grasped the concepts and would be able to use them but whenever it came to a test I rarely did well.

Does anyone have any advice on what I can do? Like a guide or advice on studying? Honestly, anything is welcome.

First :o :o :o....

Maths is not about paying attention in class... You need to practice the questions always. Keep practising everyday... And after a month or less go back to the topic again and do it again. So you remember the methods of solving the problems... After time, you will find it a bit boring, well not me :P... But you have to work on that and keep on practising... do the question in the book and if you don't the solution ask the teacher to do it with steps and keep the paper of the hard questions solutions with steps with you and go back to it again if you can't solve it again or do a similar one

GOOD LUCK :D

• Like 1

Thanks Mr.Ahm, I should definitely be reviewing the concepts, even if there isn't a test coming up.

And PhatM, if I wanted to drop math I'd have to drop IB entirely. I'd rather stumble out with a shoddy mark in maths but having finished IB rather than get this far and stop. Even if I'm not going into a field that requires math I'd still like to do my best to get a good mark in it.

It doesn't matter because .. you have good taste in music.

Also, I saw them live!

More seriously you should always know where you are in maths, in terms of test readiness. Do exercises in the books. Take relevant questions from past papers. Then study accordingly ... you wouldn't drive with your eyes closed, right?

• Like 1

When you're doing your homework make sure you don't rush through it. Make sure that the concept makes sense in your head. It's hard to make a lot of concepts you never understood suddenly all make sense the night before your test (or heaven forbid, the night before your IB exam). If it doesn't make sense, ask your teacher or your friends to help you.

Yes, past papers are always a good idea. You can find them online or bug your teacher for them. Look through the papers and find questions pertaining to the chapter you're studying and do them.

When it comes time for exams, just take all your past paper questions and mix them up so that you're not always doing the same kinds of questions. In your IB exams you'll have questions from many different sections and you'll have to finish them in 90 minutes, so it's best to get used to being able to do a trig question and then a matrices question right after, for example. You'll get used to working faster and more efficiently, especially if you use a watch to time 90 minutes and see how much you get done.

get a teacher outside school to help you re-explain the concepts. I know you don't like maths but you study much more for the subjects you don't like than for the subjects you love.

ask your teacher for extra tutorials, and just ask them to go through past papers with you. ask them to show you how to do it so you know how you're supposed to deal with such question.

also, if you need help with any question go here and people will try and help.

Alright, don't laugh... I've been struggling in IB math studies.

I got a 2 in my math exam for grade 10 and upon being recommended to do studies for IB I STILL got a low mark on the final exam.

I always did the homework, payed attention in class and thought I'd grasped the concepts and would be able to use them but whenever it came to a test I rarely did well.

Does anyone have any advice on what I can do? Like a guide or advice on studying? Honestly, anything is welcome.

How much did you study at home? Math (particularly Math Studies and Math Standard Level) is about doing the practice. So create a good study plan, put in the hours, and work on your math. By working on it, you will find problems you can't solve, which you can then take to your teacher/friends/whoever. Don't "think" you've grasped concepts. Do lots and lots of practice and be confident that you did. Increased confidence will also get you better grades in tests. If it is still a problem, even once you've worked really hard on it, then consider getting a tutor. But try attacking the math yourself first, taking questions (hopefully there will be questions, and you will find areas of weakness) to teachers.

Like everyone else said, practise, practise, practise.

But quality is just as important as quantity: When you do your homework, before you attempt a question, make sure you are clear on how to do it. Don't guess your way through it and check the answers in the hopes you've somehow stumbled onto the correct answer. (I used to be sooo guilty of doing this!)

Also, try practice testing yourself. Give yourself a time limit, complete the homework, and grade yourself. For exam studying, take the old exams and work through them, simulating a real exam. Do as many as you can, and make sure you figure out the questions you get wrong. Also don't forget to check the mark schemes to make sure you know what examiners are looking for. I did this when studying for Math SL and it really boosted my test-taking confidence. I am usually a nervous wreck taking any kind of exam.

Good luck!

Edited by SmilingAtLife:)