Oxbridge for Australians

i love ib lol jk

I'd just like to start a thread for this for my fellow Aussies either 2012 or 2013 entry. What are your thoughts? I had Oxford pay a visit to my school (Wesley College, Melbourne, Victoria)last week and I gotta say it looks amazing. He told me that 7 undergraduates got in from Australian so that gives me a lot of hope *sarcasm*. Does anyone have a good idea about how predicted grades work?

Good luck to everyone

Hi there! Thanks for making us a thread, I'm in the same situation as you, Australian applying to Oxford for Law in 2012.

I'm under the impression they use your predicted grades to work out if they interview you or not, and as another factor in your application.

Did you get any advice from your school/elsewhere about writing personal statements? There's an awful lot of information on the Internet, but I'm not sure how much of it is particularly credible.

Best of luck with your exams and application :)

Hi there! Thanks for making us a thread, I'm in the same situation as you, Australian applying to Oxford for Law in 2012.

I'm under the impression they use your predicted grades to work out if they interview you or not, and as another factor in your application.

Did you get any advice from your school/elsewhere about writing personal statements? There's an awful lot of information on the Internet, but I'm not sure how much of it is particularly credible.

Best of luck with your exams and application :)

Yes I did receive some advice, and that was not to get someone else to write it for you because apparently they can tell the difference between what an adult has written from an adolescent (albeit highly talented ones), and also to have some chutzpah because you really need it to stand out from the pack. I have also been told by some that it matters little when it comes to the applications (especially at Cambridge since my English teacher went there and she said they counted for pretty much nothing). I found out a stack of info about predicted grades from my IB co-ordinater (who does predicted grades but this may vary for your school) and apparently it is judged on your academic record from year 11 onwards with assessment and exams, it is done for every student, not just us wanting to study overseas but they are not told this score unlike us. They work out an average and they factor in if the teacher thinks you have upside. They normally go on the conservative side since parents tend to complain if their kid gets below that mark since their kid's school files are accessible to parents but apparently they can mark up for us if we look to apply overseas. This is only relevant for getting an interview and from there you will be a) accepted with an unconditional offer (very rare), b) conditional offer or c) rejected. Obviously for us we will need to take the LNAT as well on top of that, which doesn't look too bad since TOK is great training for that type of critical thinking.

Good luck to you too, where are you from?

Edited by i love ib lol jk

From the looks of it, LNAT actually didn't seem to bad (famous last words! *touches wood nervously*). Justifying your opinion and discussing opposing opinions? Us IB kids have been doing it for 2 years in TOK (and EE, depending on your subject)!

I hope they predict my grades on the less conservative side, especially considering that we're not given any time off to study for our mock exams, so it's not precisely indicative of the real thing.

From what I've heard, the system at my school is to base your predicted grade on your results in mock exams and what they predict you'll get for internal assessment. So fairly similar.

It's a bit pathetic that people feel the need to lie/have someone else write their personal statement. To me, it seems like the part of the application which you can influence the most! I'll probably get friends/teachers/parents to have a read through it though too :) Argh and I am extremely jealous of the people at your school being visited by overseas universities- we get nothing at all except propaganda from the local uni.

Feel free not to answer, but are you making an open application? I'm personally not sure what to do about college choice, they all seem equally amazing!

And I'm from the UK originally, just attending school in Australia. Unfortunately, I'm still counted as an international student for UCAS.

• Like 1

Hey guys, I was thinking of applying to Oxford med (I think I can get IB 43+) but then I realised that the fees are horrendously expensive.

I tried looking up some scholarships and funds but there aren't many. Are you guys all considering the fact that the fees are really really expensive?

I'm under the $30000 AUD income bracket, and I don't think I will be able to afford the international fees.

Is anybody else in same situation as me?

• Like 1

Yep I am, I've looked at the Cambridge Commonwealth Fund/Trust, there's some support there but I'll probably take out a 10% interest loan and pay it back ASAP.

Didn't know about that fund! I'll look in to that. Thanks!

But still the medicine program is:

£28,632 for Cambridge which sadly is about 45,363.97 AUD. Now that's just the 'tuition fee'!!!

At least some Ivy league school offer a need-blind financial aid to international students who are under a certain income bracket!

This is shocking for me.......................bawling.gif

Oxford is £14550 for preclinical (3 years) then £26500 for clinical (3 years).

That's like 23,052.73 AUD for 3 years then 41,986.07 AUD for the rest.

I feel sad now that my childhood dream is over.

Edited by ecieee
  • Like 1

What was your IB score?

Of course you got in Daed! You rock at English!wub.gif

Thanks.

Have I dated you?

Hahaha let's just say I have been your secret admirer for a long time, although you wouldn't have a clue about me.

What subjects did the -2 come from? I thought you would get 45 no doubt.

Edited by ecieee

Hahaha let's just say I have been your secret admirer for a long time, although you wouldn't have a clue about me.

Wow, my very own secret admirer! That's awesome! (as long as you're a girl.) The 43 is deeply embarrassing, I know, only partially made up for by a 7th subject ;) -1 in an A2 language and -1 in chemistry hl..

Wow, my very own secret admirer! That's awesome! (as long as you're a girl.) The 43 is deeply embarrassing, I know, only partially made up for by a 7th subject ;) -1 in an A2 language and -1 in chemistry hl..

Yes yes don't worry I'm a girl

43 is not embarrassing at all! (although maybe for you it might be a bit disappointing sad000.gif since you are a genius)

Wow you did a 7th subject? That's like...................suicidal!

Ouch for -1 in A2 language. It's so close! You even got a 7 in the notorious English A1 HL.........

It doesn't matter, you still are the best no matter what!