How difficult is Math Studies?

Guest westfallc

shouldn't your question be the other way round? how difficult is math studies! ha.

but anyway, please be aware that some of the prestigious universities do NOT accept math studies so if the course you wanna study doesn't require a lot of math it doesn't mean you should take studies. taking math SL will give you the opportunity to think critically and creatively, and see new things that might interest you.

frankly speaking I also don't need any humanities subject and literature for the course I want to study at uni but I still have groups 3 and 1 subjects...so try math SL if you can.

Just a note: aforementioned means something that hasn't been mentioned before. It doesn't make any sense in your post, because you repeated the question, which is the opposite of aforementioned. (Grammar Nazi and Proud.) >.<

Math Studies is ridiculously simple. Students in my school claim to sleep through the class, yet receive perfect scores on the tests. I'm not sure how this will work for the exam, but my school has an exceptional rate of 6's/7's in the entire course.

But, as suggested before, you should take Math SL because Math Studies will often not be accepted for college credit. I would honestly say that you should not even consider taking Math Studies because, while it does give you more total points, it does not prepare you for math in college.

Edited by elmar
  • Like 1

Very easy. I think people don't get 7s because people who are genuinely very bad at Maths and people who can't be bothered so joke around or sleep tend to pick this option. I see your location is the UK - Maths Studies is barely more than GCSE Maths. Maths Methods SL is quite a big step up! But if you're even mildly good at Maths, Studies should be an easy 7 for you.

To be honest, with the other subjects you've picked, you've not chosen any that require loads of work, they're all either medium or low content in terms of the time and effort you'll have to put in, so I would let your level of Maths determine which one you pick rather than worry about workload. History is about the only subject you'll probably have to write any significant number of essays for throughout the 2 years.

If you don't need Maths for sure for Uni, then take Studies definitely. Easy 7!

Well, I kind of agree with Sandwich however HL english and history are a ton of writing. I think the majority of my work for both years came from english until our teachers finally slowed down on the writing a commentary for every single reading we did. But SL Bio and SL Math you will probably laugh at honestly. If you can wrap your head around basic bio you'll be fine there. If you can get around with the basic chain rule of derivatives, well that's the hardest part of math studies (xn, nxn-1, that thing)

elmar's definition of aforementioned: aforementioned means something that hasn't been mentioned before.

dictionary.com's definition of aforementioned: cited or mentioned earlier or previously

You are a bad grammar nazi, if you can even call yourself one.

At least he added a comment to the posters original question...

This forum doesn't have "grammar nazis" rather than people who want to make sure they don't fail it in an actual essay. And definitions aren't grammar, they're vocab.

Please try to be somewhat helpful if you post...

Edited by Drake Glau
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
Guest kenshi64

Lol, about as easy as having negative thoughts about the IB... -_-

On a serious note, its pretty easy for me I have an IGCSE maths background (no, not core) And its pretty much a repetition of the same stuff! I can score with my eyes closed! 6-7 all the time, so don't worry! and I'm always happy to help! :D all the best, you're about to embark on one heck of a memorable journey! WOO!

• 2 months later...