1984 by George Orwell

bigbangfan

On behalf of this thread I intend to discuss the infinite themes and motifs of one of the greatest dystopian novels of the twentieth century.

I read 1984 for IB english and found it very interesting, it opened my mind to the reality of the world and existing power relationships. As an IB history student, it contributed to my understanding of single party leaders. It is a novel full of symbolism, suspense and emotions. It made me realize about the freedoms that we nowadays enjoy and made me wonder how long will these liberties last, as well. I absolutely loved it and I believe it leaves certain issues open to readers to question such as the abuse of power from the authorities and outstanding philosophical concepts such as doublethink.

I'm willing to discuss and read about new perspectives and impressions about the novel.

On behalf of this thread I intend to discuss the infinite themes and motifs of one of the greatest dystopian novels of the twentieth century.

I read 1984 for IB english and found it very interesting, it opened my mind to the reality of the world and existing power relationships. As an IB history student, it contributed to my understanding of single party leaders. It is a novel full of symbolism, suspense and emotions. It made me realize about the freedoms that we nowadays enjoy and made me wonder how long will these liberties last, as well. I absolutely loved it and I believe it leaves certain issues open to readers to question such as the abuse of power from the authorities and outstanding philosophical concepts such as doublethink.

I'm willing to discuss and read about new perspectives and impressions about the novel.

When i first read it (Last year, i wasn't in the IB then), i thought 1984 was rubbish, but i started to truly appreciate it. A fascinating aspect of the novel is the resignation of the main character, W. Smith, to the Internal Party. The loss of hope of Smith is truly amazing, as it happens in such a reduced period of time, and all of his "revolutionary" character was completely drained, and he became just like the others: "He loved the Big Brother".

Winston means that he won the battle against the party, as he surpassed the boundaries established by the party, and the thinkpol didn´t get him during his rebellious acts with Julia. Winston controlled himself and didn´t let the party control him. As the novel progresses we interpret that this situation reverses as he betrays Julia and is re-educated by the party.

• 3 weeks later...

First time I read it I was 12. I think I wanted to read it because we had read Animal Farm in school and I figured I would like it because they had the same author. I loved it. It's one of my favorite books and my original copy is so worn down the cover has fallen off. Definitely changed my perspective of the world.

I'm curious as to what you think the reader is supposed to/does take from Winston ultimately succumbing to Big Brother?

I know the first time I read it I felt as if resistance was futile to such mammoth forces, but that may be because I'm a trekkie :)

• 4 months later...

Hi

I have Orwell's 1984 for my WL 2 essay in language A1 and I need some help forming a title. I was thinking of doing the 2c-analysis of key passage. The passage would be a chapter from book 3. But that is as far as I got. I'm really bad at languages, I’m more of a natural science type of person, so writing an essay is hard for me, but choosing your own title… So if you have any sort of suggestions…. Don’t be shy ;DD

Otherwise the book is quite interesting. For me the most shocking thing was the way they torture people to get what they want.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I reda this book after it was mentioned on 'Community'. I'm very happy that I did. It is a really great read, and made me think. Especially about the power of government, potential manipulation of the human mind, the power of language and whether double think is acctuall possible. I've realised that, to a lesser extent, I do it a fair bit myself

I'm not a big fan of dystopian fiction either, but I think that 1984 is chillingly scary. It's so plausibly twisted and terrifying - even though '1984' has already passed as a date. I find it difficult to read without feeling monumentally bleak, so despite all it's intelligence and insight and whatnot, I can never truly enjoy it. I prefer Animal Farm - similar social satire/critique, but more lighthearted I guess.

• 10 years later...