History HL - Paper 3

Ika Lob

Manstein, it depends really on what your topics were/how many topics you did/ what you revised for. Did you study a lot of topics ?

We did... Prussia/Germany (18??-1933), Russia (1854-1924) and Italy (18??-1943) (which I loathed and swore not to do, and did not study for).

In my opinion paper 3 was poorly done by IBO from two reasons:

1) You could write 3 questions solely basing on Weimar Republic and Hitler.

2) The question about provisional government was a joke. Did you notice how it was formulated? I believe it was something like: "Two revolutions were the effect of failures of provisional government" To what extent do you agree with this statement. As far as I know provisional governent didn't exist before February revolution, so what was I suppose to write about ? I know that some people managed to deal with this question but come on!

I don't know what was IBO aiming for when planning this paper...

I agree, also the provisional government failed in 1917 therefore all you could do was base it on short term causes in terms of the PG. it was a horrible question!!

Could discuss long-term & short-term structural weakness, organizational strength, tactics, and popular appeal - or lack thereof - of the Bolshevik party, ministerial clashes and other crises, and the failure to implement policies. So there was quite a bit to do.

It was worded a bit strangely, the way I read it was that had the PG not been weak, there would've only been one revolution, but now that it was, there were two. Probably some historian's words that were much clearer in context.

I did Stolypin's reforms, the PG question, and Hitler's domestic policies.

Manstein, it depends really on what your topics were/how many topics you did/ what you revised for. Did you study a lot of topics ?

We did... Prussia/Germany (18??-1933), Russia (1854-1924) and Italy (18??-1943) (which I loathed and swore not to do, and did not study for).

are you tz1 or 2?

In my opinion paper 3 was poorly done by IBO from two reasons:

1) You could write 3 questions solely basing on Weimar Republic and Hitler.

2) The question about provisional government was a joke. Did you notice how it was formulated? I believe it was something like: "Two revolutions were the effect of failures of provisional government" To what extent do you agree with this statement. As far as I know provisional governent didn't exist before February revolution, so what was I suppose to write about ? I know that some people managed to deal with this question but come on!

I don't know what was IBO aiming for when planning this paper...

Aw I really loved the prov gov question, I think it was asking why they were 2 revolutions in 1917 and not just the one in february/march. It was what I'd just managed to learn the night before so I knew a ton of details about the failures of the provisional government and ended up writing that there really weren't 2 revolutions, because the second was a coup (challenging the assumption of the questions :) ) and I think it was one of the best essays I've ever written.

Other than that I found it easy, although I freaked out because our main option was imperial russia and I didn't really know anything about Stolypin's social reforms, the questions about the effects of the Great Depression and the effects of the First World War were really open ended and nice :)

Edited by lexie

are you tz1 or 2?

I'm guessing TZ2? Europe.

• Like 1

are you tz1 or 2?

well then you were really lucky, there were loads of questions on germany that you could do and one or two on prussia, i did spanish civil war, mussolini and the tsars, therefore there was minimal to do! its all dependent on what topics you do....

are you tz1 or 2?

well then you were really lucky, there were loads of questions on germany that you could do and one or two on prussia, i did spanish civil war, mussolini and the tsars, therefore there was minimal to do! its all dependent on what topics you do....

Why would your teacher ignore Germany?! That's madness (and no, not Sparta)! It's like... the centerpiece of Europe, both geographically and in the historical period covered!

it was sooo hard. The hardest IB has ever published. Any quetions on Nicholas II? No. Alexander II or III? No. so I had to settle

for provisional govt one, effects of world war one and Mussolini:

But it was the day everyone say is unlucky. Figures!

Edited by lola
  • Like 1

are you tz1 or 2?

Why would your teacher ignore Germany?! That's madness (and no, not Sparta)! It's like... the centerpiece of Europe, both geographically and in the historical period covered!

we did germany luckily in the sl (paper 1 +2) lessons so i did hitlers domestic policies from 33-39 but other than that it left out all my main topics

History has never been my strong point and I didn't put much effort at all into studying for this subject, but I lucked out :blum: pretty much the only topic I know in depth is the Arab-Israeli conflict (my school's subject for paper 1) and there were two really good questions related to it. I chose "compare and contrast two conflicts between Israel and her neighbours between 1945-1980" and the one about WWI Allied diplomacy as a cause of the instability in the Middle East. Also I happened to go through Russia the night before so for my third essay I managed to throw together something decent about the weakness of the PG in Russia's revolutions. Overall, an easier exam than I expected it to be!

Edited by meh

@iotabebraindead;

I know! I was looking at that question during reading time and wondering what the hell... it seems there's always some very random question, I expect it got like one or two responses worldwide if any lol

@000;

tbh you've mainly got either yourself or a really terrible teacher to blame for only going through a third of one topic and 2/3 of another when you should've done three whole ones in preparation for paper 3... ;)

@iotabebraindead;

I know! I was looking at that question during reading time and wondering what the hell... it seems there's always some very random question, I expect it got like one or two responses worldwide if any lol

@000;

tbh you've mainly got either yourself or a really terrible teacher to blame for only going through a third of one topic and 2/3 of another when you should've done three whole ones in preparation for paper 3... ;)

we have a brilliant teacher and i worked really hard. we in fact did 4 whole topics: french revolution and napoleon, alexander II and III, the Spanish Civil War, and Mussolini's rise/rule. those were our higher topics

and for paper 2 we did: rise and rule of hitler, mao and lenin and causes, practices and effects of WW1, WW2 (europe and pacific), Spanish Civil War and Chinese Civil War

We covered more than enough, way more than we needed to and i worked really hard. our class was just incredibly unlucky with the subjects that came up.