is it necessary to take Physics, Maths and Chemistry as HLs for doing Engineering?

Harshil.P

Universities normally require you to take Physics/Chemistry HL and Math HL. That means you definitely need Math HL and then you may have either Physics or Chemistry HL, or both.

Dropping to Math SL will hinder you from getting into Engineering. Don't do that if you still want to be an Engineer.

Guest Soiboist

It depends entirely on the university and the engineering course. For UK I know that the better universities require or at least find it desirable that students have taken Mathematics and Physics at HL or equivalent. You can still get into engineering without Maths HL, but certainly not into any university and perhaps not into any part of the world. You should start by saying where you are interested to study and what kind of universities you would prefer. That would make the replies more precise.

You should first look into which university you would like to go to and then ask them about prerequisites for the engineering courses you're interested in. As far as I know and based on where I live (Australia), most universities accept Maths SL, usually the minimum is a 5 or 6 depending on the 'prestige' and 'popularity' of the university. For Maths HL it's a minimum of a 4 or 5 (and sometimes even 3) for engineering. Chemistry and Physics is desirable but still optional.

I don't think it's necessary for Canadian universities, afaik. Sometimes you may get credits and such, but I haven't seen it being an admissions requirement, but that may just be because I'm at a Canadian high school. In terms of IB vs University, a lot of my teachers have told me that while HL courses cover a substantial amount of 1st and sometimes 2nd year courses, you've still not learned everything. And really what that means is if you take Math Physics and Chem at HL, you'll be at an advantage in university, perhaps, but how well do you think you'll do now? I don't think it's wise to burden yourself and hinder your chances at getting into university in the first place, forget actually succeeding in university.

I took Math and Physics at SL and I've been accepted into the U of Waterloo for Engineering. That could be because I've got Canadian equivalent courses as well, though, but not taking these at HL hasn't hurt my chances :)

Guest Red XII

It's not necessary at US universities, but it would give you a significant edge in admissions, as most students interested in engineering will have taken Calc. Further, taking Math SL will mean you have to catch up at the university level.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...