Is it possible to get a 100% on math portfolio at HL?

Saud Hassan

My first post :)

I just did two of the IB Math exams at HL and quite frankly they were not so bad. :)

However I was wondering if it is possible to get 100% on portfolios because I have to have a back up in case the exams weren't as good as I thought/think. I've got 36/40 in total for both portfolios. But I don't know if my Math HL teacher was being lenient or not!

Do any of you guys know if you can actually got a really high score or even 100% after being marked by IBO? They always seem quite happy to downgrade but never really upgrade. :/

Edited by Saud Hassan

Ask your teacher if the portfolios from your school are usually marked down, stay the same, or are marked up. Usually the first two cases are true though. At my school apparently they always get marked down though. *sigh*

36/40 is a very good mark for a portfolio, though. Even if you are moderated down a couple of points you would still have a good portfolio mark.

It is very difficult to get 40/40, probably only a handful of people are able to achieve that each year after moderation. 36/40 is a very good score, so you shouldn't worry. But do expect to lose a few points though, because you never know. When I did Math SL in my first year of IB, our teacher marked us very strictly and so we were marked up actually.

Thanks for the responses!

Yeah chrypton, for my biology IAs, my teacher deliberately marked us down and is hoping that the IBO will mark us up!!! Was quite bad for me to be honest, spending all-nighters on it and getting her feedback which was intentionally quite harsh. But I hope it works as it did with you! Best of luck for these exams!

Summer Glau, the school I am currently in just started offering IB a couple of years ago? I hope the IBO don't mark us down because we're new to IB! Let's see what happens!

Guest Red XII

It is nearly impossible to get every mark on the Math HL portfolio. You're in excellent shape with your portfolio score as long as it doesn't get completely tanked when it comes to moderation. If your school tends to only be moderated a few points, that's an amazing score.

The portfolio is really out of 38, as it's nearly impossible to get a 2/2 in the "overall quality of work" section. Out of the two teachers I've had for IB Math, none has given more than one 2/2 in this section. Nobody has ever gotten a 40/40 on the portfolio at my school to my knowledge, because only one 20/20 has been given out for a task. The second overall quality mark is known in my school as "the impossible point."

Students that get a 40/40 are basically math geniuses. It usually requires you to do something your teacher wouldn't have been able to do.

I think what you are suggesting is whether you should do a the other options for Type I and II to try and improve you results and my honest opinion would be that you would be crazy. As said above, 40/40 is nearly impossible and 36/40 is still very good and pretty hard to improve. Also, the time you spend on the extra IAs is time that could be spent better trying to improve you mark in other subject's IAs or studying for Maths so you don't bomb out. Also, remember Maths portfolios are only worth 20% so don't stress, they are done so just focus on the other 80% of your mark.

I don't know if it's possible, but a friend of mine got really close to it two years ago. He got a 39/40 for his portfolios and eventually a 7 in HL Math. He went on to the LSE.

I've only gotten 17/20 on a practice one as my real ones aren't going to be until next year.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I managed one for Type I, but I have a sneaking suspicion I will be marked down, though my teacher has been doing this for 10 years so and she says she's usually no more than a point off either way. Interesting remark about the "quality of work" criteria, I really hope IB doesn't think that way. :D

I did the modelling Part II, I believe I did extremely well... My teacher gave me 20/20... this academic year I will do the other one part I which is about investigating the patterns. They say its easier than modelling. Also my teacher showed me a paper where someone got 20/20 in one of them and don't know about the other. So I think you can get 40/40 if you did extremely well... If you knew the maths in the portfolio the other marks like technology and the style are easy.

Though 36 is very good.. which is a solid 7 I believe.

• 2 months later...

I think it's achievable. If you do everything perfectly in the portfolio, get correct general statements, get excellent proofs, and do more than what is actually asked in the portfolio, you will get the "wow" criteria and get a 20/20 in the portfolio. So I think it's possible as long as you solve the portfolio perfectly.