Math SL P1 TZ1

Summer Glau

I found this exam to be a bit harder than most of the past P1 exams, actually. The question that really got me was question 10, where we had to graph the cosine function! I think I got two points right and the rest were probably wrong since there were like 5 minutes left so I just drew a wave across my paper haha.

The probability question was OK, just that I realized that there was one student who was taking neither art nor music! That threw off my calculations so I had to go back and fix those, which wasted a bit of time >.<

How did you guys find it?

i thought it was REALLY REALLY difficult...i'd done a ton of practice and still found it that way

i think they did a good job at being tricky/sneaky and combining concepts in unfamiliar ways, which is really unusual for the IB

i feel confident about my ability to get some method marks and follow through points though...

IB always combines concepts, which my regular textbook didn't do that often *sigh* It got harder towards the end, I thought Section A wasn't that bad. Do you think the whole paper was hard or just a few questions?

Yeah I hope I can get some method marks for what I got wrong, sometimes it's amazing what little things they give marks for :P

I actually thought Paper 1 wasn't too bad, I actually thought it was better than most of the other practice papers I had done (I also did all the papers from TZ1 and a few TZ2s) except that there was a tricky question at the end...I don't remember exactly which one it was, but it was strange. But I think it started off very easy (I love matrices :wub: ), anyone else agree?

What was question 10? I don't even remember anymore lol.

It was to do with a velocity function...don't remember the exact equation but it was a cosine function.

What did everyone do when it said to show D (the displacement) on the graph? Did you just shade under the velocity curve or did you actually draw the displacement function? I shaded under the curve :P

Oh I remember now. That one was a bit difficult. For part D I made the part of the line that contained part D squiggly, then labeled it as D. I don't know if you were supposed to shade the area under the curve, but I can't really change it now.

I found question 10 really difficult also. Left 12 marks in the whole paper.. :(

hi aren't you time zone 2 though which means you had a different paper

It was to do with a velocity function...don't remember the exact equation but it was a cosine function.

What did everyone do when it said to show D (the displacement) on the graph? Did you just shade under the velocity curve or did you actually draw the displacement function? I shaded under the curve :P

yep thatz what i am wondering about did it say SHOW or SKETCH does anyone remeber

hey guys,

i have a quick question what if you get a level 6 on paper 2 and 7 on paper 1 and a high 5 on the IA's what would you get overall??

any ideas

I HATED number 10. The good thing though about problems like that is that you can just do part of it and get credit for knowing how to do some of it. Other than that and one other question (7, I think), I thought the test overall was awesome! Everything else seemed really easy compared to the past IB tests that I practiced. But that's just me. It seems like a lot of my classmates thought it was terrible.

Shaded under the curve.

I recall slightly that it had something to do with integration right?

Thus the area under the velocity from x to __ , yeah?

:D

Shaded under the curve.

I recall slightly that it had something to do with integration right?

Thus the area under the velocity from x to __ , yeah?

:D

Yeah I believe you would have to integrate the function if you wanted to get the displacement function. And then I was thinking that the area under the velocity curve represents total distance travelled. Hopefully that is right :P

@sukh

You would probably get a high 6 or low 7. Your portfolio is only worth 20% and each paper is worth 40%. Depends on grade boundaries though :P

I found the exam comparable to the other Paper 1s that I practiced, except for the function we were expected to know how to sketch in question 10, 2t + cos2t

I did not know how to combine a linear and periodic function. I guess you just sketch both and then add them. I considered that, but had trouble deciding on a scale, because without my calculator, I can't exactly compute radians in my head and then use normal whole numbers as some coordinates too. Hopefully I got 1 or 2 points on the sketching part.

As soon as I was done the exam I went to see what the function looked like on my GDC.

But I wonder for the last part (D I believe) if it matters whether you used the area under the velocity curve or sketched the displacement function. They are the same thing and can both be represented within that set of axes- you have to antidifferentiate to get both (and so use the same skills and understanding), and they obviously represent the same function, just in different ways.

The only other question that took me a bit of time was finding the value of k in the last question of section A (# 7 I think?)- I eventually got it and proved it using the quadratic formula, but it definitely threw me off for awhile.

I found this significantly harder than practice exams that I had looked at.

The main cause of this though was vectors; it's the one unit that my teacher did a very, very poor job of teaching (handing us a 20-page package to "self-teach" and then one day of review the week before doesn't quite cut it), and it seemed like it constituted a larger-than-usual portion of the exam, which was unfortunate.

Not one of the better math exams that I've written in my life, that's for sure.

I found the exam comparable to the other Paper 1s that I practiced, except for the function we were expected to know how to sketch in question 10, 2t + cos2t

I did not know how to combine a linear and periodic function. I guess you just sketch both and then add them. I considered that, but had trouble deciding on a scale, because without my calculator, I can't exactly compute radians in my head and then use normal whole numbers as some coordinates too. Hopefully I got 1 or 2 points on the sketching part.

As soon as I was done the exam I went to see what the function looked like on my GDC.

But I wonder for the last part (D I believe) if it matters whether you used the area under the velocity curve or sketched the displacement function. They are the same thing and can both be represented within that set of axes- you have to antidifferentiate to get both (and so use the same skills and understanding), and they obviously represent the same function, just in different ways.

The only other question that took me a bit of time was finding the value of k in the last question of section A (# 7 I think?)- I eventually got it and proved it using the quadratic formula, but it definitely threw me off for awhile.

i thought so too that the integration can be drawn as a line or the area underneath so i am kinda confused

i have a very important question is error carried forward in the math exam

for instance in the vectors question i messed up with finding the cos x as i messed up a small addition

and which had to be carried over to find sin x

the question was out of 6 or 8

how many marks would i get??

also for the question 10 i forgot to add the domain how many marks will be taken off??

i just wanted to start discussing my exam here. So i am in the Tome Zone 1 region as i live in North America. Paper one was yesterday and i was wondering how everyone found it

there was a 'p' question about the range of k, what did people get??

the last question about the graphs how did you draw it?

i drew a cubic but forgot the domain how many marks will be taken off b/c i forgot the domain

and for the intergral did they say show the intergral on the graph or sketch i just wanted to know as i felt they werent very precise as i drew a line for the displacement while some people shaded at the bottom as it aslo represents the area

and also does ib have error carried forward for math because i made a silly counting mistake and my answer was affected