Should I take Maths HL

khalid

I got an A* in Maths IGCSE.. However, Id like to take maths HL, But people say its very hard and all.. Is it worth it? My target is 5 and ill be working really hard for that. Is it managable?

Thanks Alot :D

This is posted in the wrong forum.

There are countless threads on this topic, here are links to two of them:

Math HL is hard, and you're going to have to work hard to do well. If you do know all the material fairly well, you shouldn't have any problem getting a 5.

Edited by chrypton

Hey there,

Idk.. It's really up to you obviously.

One of my friend's who was this freak last year that got straight 6's in EVERY subject... This year took Math HL,

He's really struggling. He said that it's one of the hardest subject, and it's the only subject that he's not passing.

Really really hard working student. I honestly wouldn't underestimate it.

But if your just naturally really good at maths, then go for it.

Be ready for all the crap that comes though :S

Good luck!

Guest Red XII

As long as you can learn most of the content for Math HL, you should be able to get a 5. Getting a 6 or 7 is extremely difficult because of the problem solving skills needed to solve the harder problems - even if you know the math, it's often difficult to know how to apply it for the tricky problems. You can get a 4 or 5 without being amazing enough at math to solve lots of these problems, as long as you're good enough to solve some of them.

Absolutely agree with dubyawhy.

Why didn't you take A-Maths? Was it no offered or did you not want to take it?

Our school does IGCSE and IBDP too.

Our (internal) requirement for taking Math HL is at least a B in A-Math IGCSE. Having said that, if you think you are doing perfectly well in Math IGCSE, it's not enough for Math HL. However it is possible.. If you are really committed, you put in your best effort and work really hard.

You may be wondering why the heck you need A-Math IGCSE to take Math HL. It's because the basics of most of the Math HL topics are covered in A-Math IGCSE. Calculus, vectors, matrices.. My class skipped the intro of every chapter (except math induction and complex numbers, they are completely new), we just did some worksheets to review the intro (basics) and we moved on to the new stuffs straightaway. Hence taking A-Math IGCSE is very useful for Math HL..

Without having learnt those basics, it would be harder for you because it might take you some time (2 years of IGCSE...) to master.

We have the same problem in my school actually. Sooooo many students want to take Math HL! They underestimate it! They don't believe people who say that it's hard. Well, it is subjective; but I reckon only around 3-5 out of 100 Math HL students would say that Math HL is easy.

I suggest you to start IB with 4 HL subjects, one of which is Mathematics. For you to give a try. Then after you decide whether you are capable or not, drop one of the 4 HL subjects.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Depends if you did regular Maths or Add Maths for IGCSE. If you got an easy A* for Additional Maths, then you probably have a shot at a 5. If you have regular Maths at IGCSE, then you won't stand a bleeding chance in Math HL, sorry :(

Sorry to burst your bubble there, but I didn't even complete GCSE Maths (but I was predicted an A*) but I still managed a 5 in Math HL (a close 6 if I may add).

It's completely subjective. Are you good in Math(s)? Do you like Math(s)? If you tick both of the boxes as yes, then go for it. I like Math(s) so I've even done a couple of engineering math courses at university despite not being required to. If you don't like Math(s) then do SL because without any sort of motivation, it's very hard to get a good grade (this is true for any subject).

• Like 2

Depends if you did regular Maths or Add Maths for IGCSE. If you got an easy A* for Additional Maths, then you probably have a shot at a 5. If you have regular Maths at IGCSE, then you won't stand a bleeding chance in Math HL, sorry :(

Im going to have to disagree. My brother did regular IGCSE maths and got an A*.. he then got a 7 in IB Maths HL.. Soo it actually depends on the person. What if one is a complete genuis and the school only had regular IGCSE maths and he gets an A*? Doesnt mean he cant get a 5 or above. But, I decided to take standard :)

• 3 months later...

I totally disagree with you... I took IGCSE maths and got A and I don't believe i got A, I deserved A* my answers were all perfect and checked them with my friends after the exam. They got A* and I didn't... I love Maths and its my best subject and took it as HL and nailed it with a solid 7 in most of exams... But at the start its a bit hard that I got 3 and 5...

It doesn't matter what your previous marks are, what matters is do you like the subject and capable of doing it. Maths is not a hard subject nor an easy subject. As I say to everyone else... The key concept is to practice so you don't forget the working out methods etc...

And I 100% agree with Mahuta Khalid, If it is not required then take SL, its easier as I know you, you want to study Eco or business....

• Like 1

It doesn't matter what your previous marks are, what matters is do you like the subject and capable of doing it. Maths is not a hard subject nor an easy subject. As I say to everyone else... The key concept is to practice so you don't forget the working out methods etc...

Keep this in mind throughout IB, it also applies when you get a 7 in your mocks and a 4 in the real one. Also this is totally illogical, but Ive been told our school (my former one, TSS) is not big on Math HL teachers. Something I have been told by a teacher in the math department when I was in IB. As much this sort of thing shouldn't get in your way, it does matter to a certain extent. That being said, maybe the teacher was wrong and TSS has awesome very good math HL teachers with experience.

Keep this in mind throughout IB, it also applies when you get a 7 in your mocks and a 4 in the real one. Also this is totally illogical, but Ive been told our school (my former one, TSS) is not big on Math HL teachers. Something I have been told by a teacher in the math department when I was in IB. As much this sort of thing shouldn't get in your way, it does matter to a certain extent. That being said, maybe the teacher was wrong and TSS has awesome very good math HL teachers with experience.

I believe TSS has changed now. For the Maths HL we have a new teacher and he is good, very good actually. And the good thing is that there are only four students in the class only :o . So the teacher will have more time with us individually... Well, to be honest the others are doing well, they play all the time and I'm the only one who passed the mocks. The teacher helped them so they can get 4. and the good thing is that if the teacher couldn't help me or unavailable I use this website :Wolframalpha[/url... If you know how to use it, it will be helpful and shows how to solve the hardest calculus with steps you can find in IB. Also I have my brothers, and they are maths geeks, mashallah...

The problem is that students are afraid of Maths HL and when they go to the exam, they get confused and panic and then they can't concentrate and don't solve anything.

Take Math HL only if you have a strong passion for Math. No, five hours in class will not be enough. Yes, you will be working on it 2-4 hours a day, including your weekend. No, your teacher/textbook won't probably be enough, be ready to seek out for online websites, tutorials, explanations etc... And, most important be ready to work hard. Yes, I 5 in Math HL is achievable if you work, even 6s or 7s aren't impossible, it really depends on you.