IB music possible in one year?

Dominic Wolf

I am close to finishing my IB year 1 and I might be changing schools next year to do my second year of IB, the problem is that in my new school they do not offer Psychology HL and I would have to replace it by music HL.

I have been playing guitar for seven years and I like to think I have mastered the instrument, nevertheless I do not feel confident reading music sheets or doing solfege. is it possible for me to do music HL in one year ?

Let me know what you think about my situation.

• 3 weeks later...

In my school we only offer Music SL. We only have class twice a week over the two years, making it possible for some to take it in one year being in both the first year and second year class. This is only possible because we have it structured where the first year is largely theory and the second year is history. As for HL, I'm not sure how this would work because I don't know how much more you have to do. Most of the class does not matter too much about your instrumental skills, more of your comprehension of sheet music and what you hear. I'm fairly sure you could do it if you work hard enough though, assuming the school does allow you to do the class in one year.

Ok, well, at my school we take grade 11 IB music semester 1, and grade 12 IB music second semester, so it definitely is possible. It's not preferred, since it's very fast, but it is possible.

IB music is 50% performance, 30% exam and 20% MLI (musical links investigation), so a good understanding of an instrument/how to sing is a must, and being able to pick up and remember music theory and history is a good thing to have. If you think you can do that, than you'll do fine in IB Music ;)

It is possible to it, but you have to put in a lot of time and effort into working on your music theory. If you're just doing SL, where you need only a performance and the prescribed work, rather than a composition you should also focus on whatever history you're told to learn.

I don't think you'll have TOO much trouble if you work hard.

However I do think you aren't anywhere close to 'mastering' the instrument. It really isn't possible to master an instrument, you should always be learning. I've been playing for 9 years now, starting from classical and moving on to my electric. I don't think anyone can really master the guitar.

Unless their name is Shawn Lane :P

• 4 months later...

At my school we only offer it as a 1 year class, twice a week and we always score really well. SL students tend to do better because of SL Music group, our choir and band tapes almost always get sevens. HL is more of a 5 or a 6. It really just depends on what the school provides. If they teach a 2 year course, you'd have to be enrolled in both years to get the full extent of the curriculum.

• 1 month later...

I know that a lot of people have already commented on this post, but I'll just add my two cents. =P

A lot of people take IB Music at my school, and the people who do the best are the ones who have natural musical talent (?) because they have extremely good aural skills and can compose very well, not the people who are really good at playing an instrument. So, if you think you have those skills + a basic background in theory, there's no reason why you can't accomplish IB Music within one year.

I just started taking IB music SL and it's only a one year course at my school also! It's every other day, from what I've seen you guys say I feel like we should be working on a lot more than we actually are! There's only two in the class (me and one other) and we both have extensive music theory backgrounds since we are both in band! I know this was posted months ago but I wanted to mention that if you've had musical background before and are involved in some sort of music group it will help a lot!