IB Theatre TPPP content

Cool Beans !!

For our TPPP, how many theatre traditions and external productions and school productions should we mention? It is better to just mention one or two and go in depth? Our class did a unit on naturalism, devising theatre, commedia and bunraku... and I've watched about 5 external productions. How many should I talk about, because 30 minutes isn't actually that much.

And, how symbolic should our 7-10 images be?

Ideally, the pictures should be quite symbolic. Apparently the IB hates it when they're too literal (or cliche)

I think that as long as you know what you're talking about for the practices and not bsing, it should be fine : )

• 2 weeks later...

you should have around 3-4 abstract pictures (the IB does not simply like all photos to be of you performing a role, but they want you to be able to also make a more profound discussion of your experiences as an IB theatre student; the abstract pictures can aid you in sending the required message across)

I would also suggest you mention 2-3 productions that you have participated in (a tehcnical role should be included) and 1 that you have seen. Make sure you connect them to each other, for example, you can say that you have watched the play ____ and from it understood the importance of telling a story through gesture and you later on used this in your own portrayal of, lets say, the hyperactive arlecchino in commedia dell'arte. Also, make sure you have mentioned a non-text based theatre practice as well as a non-western one.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

okay so im doing my TPPP 1st in our class and we all have no idea...and i was just wondering if i could refer to theater and possibly bring in a different class and say how theater has helped me understand something [ex: we did director notebooks one presentation was on waiting for godot, we studied commedia and the importance of stance, currently reading godot in english, helps me understand?]

If I remember correctly your TPPP needs to have at least 3 productions, but it focuses on 1 or 2 main ones, 3 world theatre traditions or practices, 3 play critiques, and you need to tie everything together along with applied research since you are HL.

• 5 weeks later...

Is it just me or is Theatre really hard to score a 7 in? All the samples you'll see have scored really low usually and everyone seems to have a different take on what the criteria mean or what's expected.

My TPPP is in two days and i'm freaking out and I don't feel like i'm using metaphorical images enough because I just dont see how i'm supposed to relate them without feeling really cheesy or like i'm in english -.-

For our TPPP, how many theatre traditions and external productions and school productions should we mention? It is better to just mention one or two and go in depth? Our class did a unit on naturalism, devising theatre, commedia and bunraku... and I've watched about 5 external productions. How many should I talk about, because 30 minutes isn't actually that much.

I only managed to talk for 25 minutes :(

Pictures, rather than being symbolic, I think should show a practice you've studied. (for my RI, I looked at artauds jet of blood and I looked at ignites version from a few years ago, so I whacked in a picture of the ignite theatre company performing jet of blood). Also, pick 2-3 defining moments of the IB theatre course, mine were: ipp, finding out about a company called Paratheatrical Research; RI, Artaud and theatre of cruelty, and ppp, edward Gordon Craig in stage design. but you still need to link to different cultures, I linked to commedia, noh theatre, and Laban. I also talked about what I was before I began IB theatre and what I am now. Talk about at least 2 performances and make sure you have a nice little metaphor.

My metaphor was that theatre is like a geode. Another metaphor from my class was that theatre is like a painters pallet and the practices are the paints.

I made up a few words during the course of my presentation - don't be afraid to do that, it's cool and choreographication is officially a word (you heard it here first)

Hope this helps :)

I only managed to talk for 25 minutes :(

Pictures, rather than being symbolic, I think should show a practice you've studied. (for my RI, I looked at artauds jet of blood and I looked at ignites version from a few years ago, so I whacked in a picture of the ignite theatre company performing jet of blood). Also, pick 2-3 defining moments of the IB theatre course, mine were: ipp, finding out about a company called Paratheatrical Research; RI, Artaud and theatre of cruelty, and ppp, edward Gordon Craig in stage design. but you still need to link to different cultures, I linked to commedia, noh theatre, and Laban. I also talked about what I was before I began IB theatre and what I am now. Talk about at least 2 performances and make sure you have a nice little metaphor.

My metaphor was that theatre is like a geode. Another metaphor from my class was that theatre is like a painters pallet and the practices are the paints.

I made up a few words during the course of my presentation - don't be afraid to do that, it's cool and choreographication is officially a word (you heard it here first)

Hope this helps :)

You get marks deducted for mentioning your IPP and I don't really think you are supposed to talk about the RI either since TPPP is more about the things you have learned during your class stuff and RI is obviously something you did on your own and its not something you would have performed...

I just presented my TPPP a few days ago and managed a high 6 and my teacher is an examiner so I guess whatever we did made sense. Look the criteria says focus on 2 areas only but honestly its easy enough to talk about 3 (more than that is impossible in detail, you can only mention other things in passing) What I and most of my class did was focus on like 3 main units we studies, in my case it was Comedia Del'Arte, Realistic Theatre, and Greek Theatre. I focused on each one like the very technical research based stuff (since its a criteria) that I learned and then a lot about my actual role in the production, all my sucesses and fails (reflection is a criteria too, so that means a lot of talk about ups and downs and whatever it taught you as an actor/theatre maker etc.) and even though i sort of broke up the 3 of the units in my bullet points I still kept linking them together like when I spoke about masks in comedia I mentioned how in Greek as was mentioned before we used masks BUT in this case was for a different purpose, had different features and so on. Then when I got to realistic I went on about how different it was in terms of acting style and how Stanislavki's theories came in to play blah blah blah.

Then towards the end (though i definitely messed this up a bit because i ran out of time so i rushed) I sort of generally spoke about random productions I had been in or seen (like other students IPPs or stuff seen outside) and how they utilized different techniques and elements, like in different styles and did different set designs blah blah blah. So I showed that I understood how all of these seperate styles work BUT I also understand how everything can be combined and morphed to fit the production ( as long as its logical ) and I tried to speak about when it sometimes worked and sometimes didn't because of whatever reason.

You are supposed to show you critical thinking and analysis in terms of how you have grown of course, how all of the elements of theatre come together (synthesis as criteria calls it) and how you have learned from your research and thus can critically think about your performances and others productions and that sort of thing.

And as for images, a lot of people tend to just give images of themselves or their productions I am tellin you the IB wants this metaphorical crap. I had about 5 images that were total cliche's about my growth and process of learning and blah blah blah, and 1 of one of my performance and 1 more of a costume design I had made last year. And I only put those two because I felt like they were really relevant to what I was saying. You have 10 images if you are HL so you can definitely include enough symbolical stuff with your literal stuff. Its not your IPP where they wanna see evidence of everything you've done, it really doesn't help.

It's not THAT hard but you just have to be careful not to get too sucked in to any one particular area else you lose out because 30 min is not that long apparently. DO NOT try to fit your entire course into the 30 minutes! It is impossible and pointless I gurantee you. So try to pick a few styles you really liked or know very well and talk in terms of those majorly.

Hope this helps any future TPPP givers?

Edited by ro_1293x

Yeah, I did my tppp a few weeks ago and one of my classmates was bombarding me with information, so I ended up shutting myself in a closet and I think I looked at the marking criteria once... I didn't do so much work for my tppp, and I think it's probably my worst assessment but I did cover everything I needed to cover mentioning just the most important bits, a lot of things were just made up though...w