French

• 1 month later...

Hey man, it's been a while since you wrote this but for French B, revise the different writing structures (le Journal Intime, l'article, le discours, l'interview etc). Look over the 'soutenu' and 'familier' language so that you can use appropriate vocabulary for the various texts. For the Reading Comprehension part, you can't really study for it, but ask your teacher for a few practice tests (if you want); that helps. Hope you do well with your exams dude!

• 3 months later...

I've started revising my tenses and some reading. I also have a penpal and she constantly corrects my French and I with her English.

I'm struggling to take in the vocab though.

Any tips for that? :/

And can you recommend some French books that I could read? I'd prefer novels to magazines although magazines are just as good for taking in new words and things.... I'm just picky.. haha!

Thanks! :)

Hey! For vocab, try learning synonyms. It's an easier way to learn more words and helps in essays because you show how VARIED your writing style is - gets you points ;) For novels, try Oscar et La Dame Rose. I mostly read magazines, so can't help out much there.

And also, another good way to take in vocabulary is to talk to people fluent in french (if you have friends who are), watch french tv and movies in french. Just find a tv show you watch and start watching it in french, itll be hard at first but will definitely get much easier. Hope this helps!

I did A2 and just looked over past exam papers / my past exam answers / past exam markschemes.

Truth be told last-minute revision probably won't get you very far (with most languages). If you get straight 7s throughout the year, you'll know what to expect on the exam. Make that your objective.

• 5 weeks later...

Do alot of practice exams and write a lot of paper 2 responses. Challenge yourself and do some HL papers~ You'll find that when you go back to do SL papers, it's alot easier~ :blum:

You can build your vocabulary and grammar by reading the french news online:

http://www.lemonde.fr/

http://www.lefigaro.fr/

Be familiar with the styles of writing in paper 2, and use expressions to suit it. For example:

Lettre official:

Beginning with:

Je me permets de vous écrire car je suis inquiète pour certaines choses.

Ending With:

Je vous prie d’agréer Monsieur/Madame, l’expression de mes sentiments distingués.

Journal Intime:

Il est 2h du mat et je n’arrive pas à dormir.

J’en ai marre.

Ce n'est pas juste.

Rhetorical questions

Et moi, je n’ai pas le droit d’avoir une vie à moi alors?!

Also, be familiar with different connectors and idioms:

De plus

Toutefois

Groso modo

De toute facon

etc

Il y a du pain sur la planche (To have a lot of work to do)

Ce n’est pas la mer à boire (it's not a big deal)

Après la pluie le beau temps (same as - every cloud has a silver lining)

I created a giant review summarizing everything I learned in French class, including vocab. I also reviewed the formats for all the genres d'ecriture...

Ok I uploaded it here:

I have to say, I focused more on the areas I needed more review in, but I did cover everything I learned. This probably works better as a quick reference guide/ study review. If you haven't learned the concepts in my review, it probably won't help so much, but it doesn't hurt to take a look :)

You should also work through as many exams as possible, and check the mark schemes. IB is very specific about what they want (and don't want!) from your answers.

Also, I'd like to add that French is not something you can cram for. Pay attention in class throughout the year, read French books and watch French TV, try to make the language come more naturally to you... and you will do find :)

Edited by SmilingAtLife:)

• 7 months later...

How can i download a copy of the french grammar? Please help.

Hey, see these help topics:

http://www.ibsurvival.com/index.php?app=core&module=help&do=01&HID=17

http://www.ibsurvival.com/index.php?app=core&module=help&do=01&HID=19

In short: you need to be a VIP member to download files from this site, and the second link tells you how to go about becoming a VIP :)