IB courses you wish you could have taken, but couldn't

JoeG

Would have loved to take Japanese an initio (forgot if there was such a course) or just Japanese SL. Really wanted to learn the lang, but couldn't balance it with my other subjects. The school wouldn't allow me to take it as it was only available as an option in the next year (when I would  be in yr 13).

Also regretted taking physics, would have changed to bio if possible :(

HL Mathematics :((((

This is sad because it will close me out from engineering in university, and I must now study it on lower third degree school. That does contain less things I'm interested about so it's bad :(((

Update: Math HL is offered! <3

.... However I'd like to do Further math.... #worldisnotenough

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Not really courses I would have taken, but a very interesting list (found them on an official IB pdf document , so they seem legitimate). But they are listed as "School based syllabus subjects". but i believe  they would  still count towards your IBDP.  Does anyone here actually take any of them?

-Brazilian Social studies

-Astronomy

-Human Rights

-Marine Science

-Peace and Conflict Studies

-Political Thought

-Turkey in the 20th century

-World politics and international relations

All SL only.

my school offers film studies (HL only) and turkey in the 20th century but i don't take those classes

I would have loved to study World Religions or Peace and Conflict Studies. Sadly our school doesn't offer these subjects. I also would have chosen Psychology but our school did not find the best teacher for the subject and the three students studying that subject currently are struggling so I'm glad I didn't choose it, but I'd have loved to. 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest beyondtheimagine

I would of loved to take physics HL, but my school doesn't offer it. As well as to take Spanish SL than french SL, once again not offered in my school only Spanish ab. 

I wish I could have also taken Mandarin ab initio, Spanish B, and film, but my schedule was full. Then there are some things we don't offer at my school like chemistry and physics (I took these, just not in IB), Latin (having to teach myself instead), history of Europe and the Islamic world, history of Africa, other histories in general, as many languages as possible, and further mathematics. Next year, we might be getting Russian ab initio and/or German ab intio and I am definitely jealous. Next year, the IB students (in my grade) will have two non-IB periods. If I can, I want to take an AP math class and/or another non-IB language class like Arabic or Mandarin Chinese.

English A Lit SL → English A Lang and Lit SL

Korean B SL → German B SL or Korean B HL

Economics HL â†’ Psychology HL

Mathematics SL → Mathematics HL (maybe?) 

I have some regret, but most of the subjects I want to do isn't even available.

I don't know, though. I would really want to change my language choices.

Hmmm. I wish I could have taken history, for sure. I did IGCSE and got an A*, and the option I chose (Germany) would have been repeated because the IB option my school offers is also Germany. I also wish I could have taken Spanish ab because French B is killing me. I also wanted to take physics SL, but they wouldn't let me do all 3 sciences :'(

I'm actually pretty comfortable with all my current subjects, but also a bit bored. I genuinely wish we could take subjects for a year then switch around. That would be interesting..!