Achieving 7 in Math HL

sid1729

Generally the advice is practice like crazy, never get behind, practice especially on old exam papers to get used to the evil manner of questioning and make sure you do as well as possible in your IAs because they may well end up saving your grade :)

...also don't take HL Maths, do Studies :) But few people already doing HL follow that recommendation for some reason!

HAHA... thanks for the tips,

but guess too late to stop doing HL... to be honest HL isn't all that bad... but its a Huge portion!.. well i have decided to take out an hour and a half everyday for math..... think that its fine?

And which book to follow.... currently we do Hease and Harris in school... but many say IBID has better problems to solve.... but i like the explanation presented in hease and harrris

I used to do HL Maths. HL maths is alright if you have a reasonable IB. But I didn't. So my advice to you is get the Oxford Math Textbook and possibly the Cambridge one and use them in case the problems in your current book aren't that great as I've heard that H&H aren't great. 1 hour and a half should be fine but depends on how well you grasp the material. 2 things you need to know. The syllabus and your calculator inside out and the key to success is past papers and timing yourself. Good Luck. FOr me dropping HL maths was the best decision of my life but then again I wasn't great at Maths. I was predicted a 5.

Hey... in response to the books... just purchased the IBID press book and glanced through it... problems are good.. but for understanding the concepts.... Hease and harris is awesome... so i guess... a combination of both is the best thing i can come up with.... im still open for any more tips on how to go about learning and practicing... and even which chaps to give an higher weight-age to.

Hey... in response to the books... just purchased the IBID press book and glanced through it... problems are good.. but for understanding the concepts.... Hease and harris is awesome... so i guess... a combination of both is the best thing i can come up with.... im still open for any more tips on how to go about learning and practicing... and even which chaps to give an higher weight-age to.

Revise your options like HELL also.... Revision guides?

Umm.... we are doing statistics for option... and i have no idea about any revision guide... is there one for math??

Yeah revise your option and try to get about 90%+ in it. Do practice tests.

Yes there is if you look

There are quite a lot of websites out there that can give you acces to past papers and question banks.

Just choose your subject area and follow through :)

--Blind

I'm almost halfway through my first year and it isn't so bad. I guess my advice would be to do as many past paper questions as possible, that is a great way to prepare for the IB exam itself. Also, try to beast your IAs since this takes some pressure off of you to perform ridiculously well on the actual papers.

Edited by adletaY

Umm.... we are doing statistics for option... and i have no idea about any revision guide... is there one for math??

There are OSC Revision Guides for the options, but they are just a summary and in no way a textbook, so don't waste your money on that. I have found the option books from Cambridge to be quite good, and if you have the Pearson Baccalaureate book, you get a link where you can download all options in PDF format.

BTW, what are the options for HL?

And what are the IA's (Ithink I'm supposed to be taking something equivalent to Calc 2). I don't know, the IA's for HL and SL are different, right?

The difference between the HL and SL IAs are minimal if anything. I would know since I did an IA in IB1 whilst I was still in HL and 1 IA in IB2 when I was in SL.

Hey guys...

Math is definitely a huge syllabus... and i really hope to achieve a 7... any tips, advice... would be great?

Solve Solve Solve :P

First you will need to take the entire syllabus, review it, solve a little on each topic and then once you're done with that and everything is fresh in your mind, start solving previous papers and don't stop until the 4th of May :P

Your aim is to turn Maths into skills. It should not be something that you need to study or even revise..

What I am trying to do right now is solving around 2 Maths papers each week under exam conditions

Find the papers online and try to do this, within the week you can solve a single section each day if you don't have time.

This is really what Math HL requires, it's all about getting used to this style of questions, getting used to this way of thinking and most importantly getting used to doing this in just 2 hours. When I started solving past papers for example, I would lose concentration after the first hour (I still do but its becoming easier for me :o ). When you correct your exam papers this will help you understand better how the marking works (sometimes its necessary to right certain steps, sometimes there are marks for reasoning)

My aim right now is to become as familiar with math exams as possible and this is really helping. Try giving it a shot!

GOOD LUCK :P & YAAAAAY ALL OF US (those aiming for a 7 in Math HL)

• Like 2