#7 "The vocabulary we have does more than communicate our knowledge; it shapes what we can know."

jonathan810

Could I use a psychology experiment for an example? I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say the researcher's name but it's quite well known for you psychology people. It's about the reliability of memory - basically, memory can be manipulated, I suppose, depending on how a question is asked (the vocabulary used). What area of knowledge would that be? Human sciences? And, if I used Chinese & English as an example... what area of knowledge would that be? I know it's language for a way of knowing but the question asks for AoK...

I think it's important that you remind yourself that the claim is not about communicating something you know through vocabulary. It's about the way vocabulary shapes the way you think - how it makes us see things, how it motivates us, how it influences us etc.

I've started writing my essay, and I realized all I was talking about was whether or not we need vocab to communicate something we know. But that's not what the claim wants us to evaluate.

"Vocabulary shapes what we can know. Evaluate." - this is what we should focus on.

Good luck everyone! :)

• Like 2

I am working on this topic for my final TOK assessment but am not quite sure how to go about it... Can someone post some Knowledge Issues on this site to give me something to bite my teeth into and work on my outline for my teacher... So far I have only one Knowledge Issue that relates to the topic and am struggling to find at least 4 more which flow with the first one...

Here is my initial Knowledge Issue: 1. To what extent is the truth in communicated knowledge dependent on the language at our disposal?

Thanks for your help.

I am working on this topic for my final TOK assessment but am not quite sure how to go about it... Can someone post some Knowledge Issues on this site to give me something to bite my teeth into and work on my outline for my teacher... So far I have only one Knowledge Issue that relates to the topic and am struggling to find at least 4 more which flow with the first one...

Here is my initial Knowledge Issue: 1. To what extent is the truth in communicated knowledge dependent on the language at our disposal?

Thanks for your help.

here u go :)

Possible Knowledge Issues

1. To what extent can vocabulary contribute towards knowledge?

2. Do issues of ambiguity and interpretation occur to the same extent in all areas of knowledge?

3. To what extent does vocabulary in each area of knowledge influence the knowledge aquisition in that area?

4. Does vocabulary give rise to knowledge that is only accessible to experts in areas of knowledge?

5. Is vocabulary transferable across areas of knowledge or is it only understandable in the context of an area of knowledge?

6. How do we know that vocabulary is not a hindrance to knowledge aquisition?

7. How do we know if our choice of vocabulary influences our knowledge construction?

8. How do we know if vocabulary shapes our knowledge or if our knowledge shapes our vocabulary?

9. Does some knowledge lie beyond language?

Isn't The Sapir-Whorf hypothesis states that the vocabulary does shape what we can know???

Am I wrong? :(

In the text, it says ' Language determines our experience of reality, and we can see and think only what our language allows us to see and think.'

.... OMG... TOK is so hard...

Could I use a psychology experiment for an example?

What area of knowledge would that be?

If I used Chinese & English as an example... what area of knowledge would that be? I know it's language for a way of knowing but the question asks for AoK...

I'll answer the questions chronologically.

1. That is the Loftus and Palmer (1974) Eyewitness testimony. What does memory have to do with the vocabulary that shapes what we "know"?

2. Human Sciences

3. That wouldn't be an area of knowledge unless the Arts included some form of language, such as literature. Use pieces of literature of the same book, translated in both languages, and see how it changes what you know about it.

Does anyone have any examples for how this topic relates to ethics?

I might be a little late... but in terms of Ethics, I remember seeing a video where they talked about the application of a culture's vocabulary in international relations. The example that they gave was that in one Chinese dialect, the words "power" and "right" (as in human right) mean the same thing. This ends up posing problems when Chinese diplomats try to communicate to diplomats from Western countries their concept of human rights.

Don't know, it might help :)

• 2 weeks later...