#7 "The vocabulary we have does more than communicate our knowledge; it shapes what we can know."

jonathan810

• 2 weeks later...

Emotion is said to be one of the most pure yet meaningless ways of knowing. So yes you are correct to query the validity of emotion as a way of knowing. However, if you feel an emotion, it must exist, agreed? Emotion usually has a trigger. So if you feel an emotion after the trigger, can you not infer something about the trigger? But then again what does that emotion really mean in relation to reality? I would argue it requires heavy inductive reasoning to grasp what each emotion feels like. But even then, each trigger is likely to cause a slightly different emotion. How would you be able to tell the similarities and differences between each occurrence and generalise effectively? I guess I've explored too many counter-arguments to emotion which shouldn't be the main focus within your essay but they still need a brief mention if you do use emotion.

You said that emotion should be mentioned at one point within the essay, i also understand that you're a history student like myself. Do you think it would be possible to incorporate this whole 'vocabulary' concept to that of history. I mean could I talk about the failure to communicate between nations in the interwar years due to the limited vocabulary, which could be put into an 'information context' being vocab, if that makes sense! Would it be viable to incorporate this example within this time perios as a representation of the how the vocabulary we have shapes what can know/communicate it?

Hopefully that makes even the littlest bit of sense : P

thankyou!

Emotion is said to be one of the most pure yet meaningless ways of knowing. So yes you are correct to query the validity of emotion as a way of knowing. However, if you feel an emotion, it must exist, agreed? Emotion usually has a trigger. So if you feel an emotion after the trigger, can you not infer something about the trigger? But then again what does that emotion really mean in relation to reality? I would argue it requires heavy inductive reasoning to grasp what each emotion feels like. But even then, each trigger is likely to cause a slightly different emotion. How would you be able to tell the similarities and differences between each occurrence and generalise effectively? I guess I've explored too many counter-arguments to emotion which shouldn't be the main focus within your essay but they still need a brief mention if you do use emotion.

You said that emotion should be mentioned at one point within the essay, i also understand that you're a history student like myself. Do you think it would be possible to incorporate this whole 'vocabulary' concept to that of history. I mean could I talk about the failure to communicate between nations in the interwar years due to the limited vocabulary, which could be put into an 'information context' being vocab, if that makes sense! Would it be viable to incorporate this example within this time perios as a representation of the how the vocabulary we have shapes what can know/communicate it?

Hopefully that makes even the littlest bit of sense : P

thankyou!

I'm unable to give you a detailed response at the moment due to my exams. However, I think you should look at what the question is trying to get you to do i.e. the 'demands of the question'. You have to break the quote up. "it shapes what we can know": This is the bit where the knowledge issue is hidden. It is basically asking: "Does language hinder our ability to learn about new things?" If your real life examples supports a either 'yes' or 'no' to the question then it is a valid example, if it implies 'yes' and 'no' then it is a very good example as it allows you to claim and counter-claim using the same example. If if doesn't saying anything, then its a rubbish example and doesn't help you in answering the knowledge issue.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm doing this title too, and I have to hand in my draft in a bit more than week.

My teacher gave me a brainstorming sheet, and I'm trying to fill that in now, but I have no idea what would be 2 controversial issues surrounding this topic? Maybe someone can help and tell me where to start my research?

Absolutely, maths is considered a language; think numbers, symbols and tallies and their meaning. Basically anything that conveys a message can be considered language.

I agree that math is a language, however I'm not sure we can say that the numbers and symbols in math can be considered vocabulary. Since vocabulary is defined as the WORDS in a language.

Also I really don't think we can consider a smiley/emoticon vocabulary

• 2 weeks later...

People’s choice of vocabulary can assist in the following:

1- Knowing if the person is educated (use of words)

2- Knowing how to use a LARGE variety of words to express our emotions.

3- Whether that person’s personality is positive or negative. By using his choice of words.

4- Pompous words can show just how educated you are (measure).

Limiting our vocabulary: by using words such as lol, lmao….. etc.

How does it affect the younger generations?

if this increases, then how would the world end up in? words are dying out everyday. They limit us to a certain point. Where we wouldn’t be able to express who we are, and what we want.

If you look at books, then you can notice that out time has gone from famous writers such as Paulo Coelho, Agatha Christie, to authors such as Justine Bieber?? and Stephenie Meyer. With all do respect but what they write is hardly considered literature, and what is sad is that most of the younger generations are in love with them.

My definition of vocabulary: our own private dictionary, collected by us throughout our lives. As we grow older and learn more we store even more words in our mind, this increases our knowledge and wisdom, because then we are able to express ourselves by using different words.

good luck :)

• Like 2

hi, I'm also doing this topic for my TOK essay. Correct me if I'm wrong but when I read the quote what came to my mind was that language can be shaped by us so when we transmit an idea through language we can not be sure it will be true or if it might be simplified. For this I used the idea of euphemism. If we all think differently and express ourselves differently how can we transmit a thought and expect others to understand it as we do if they might not recieve it in the same way?(which is what happended here, each one of us thought the question in many different ways)

I used biology as an AOK because it is not the same to say "I love you" or "I feel attracted to you" than to say "The pheromones in my body react to the scent yours produce"(just inventing how our bodies react but it is something like that actually)

If someone could give his/her opinion I'd be really happy because I'm kind of stuck in this work :P

well, i see some point in what you are saying, but the thing about TOK, is that there are many angles of a question. to me the question states that with the way we use our vocabulary can identify us, and show us a way to our future.

hi, I'm also doing this topic for my TOK essay. Correct me if I'm wrong but when I read the quote what came to my mind was that language can be shaped by us so when we transmit an idea through language we can not be sure it will be true or if it might be simplified.

language can be shaped by us, we as people are the ones who make up new words, and new ways to communicate, and if we are fully aware of what we say and show, then the right message will be transmitted. it is like saying there is a four legged feeling drinking water. you don't specify what it is hence the wrong message can be interoperated, but saying there is a cat drinking water; it is different you are communicating something fully.

simplifications can be more accurate, but when using words with a large vocabulary not a lot of people may understand you, and this isn't a fault way to communicate it is actually the person on the other end who is not on the same level as your vocabulary.

• 4 weeks later...

A possible counter claim that I can think of is sarcasm. Of course, the words are important when when using language as a way of knowing, but the tone with which the words are said is equally important.

Two scenarios:

1: A student writes an essay and the teacher pats her on the back and says, "Very nice!"

2: A jealous classmate looks at the essay, gives a dirty look to the girl, makes a face and says "Very nice!"

In both cases, the 'vocabulary' (as in the words said) are the same. Yet, one is genuine and one is mocking. As a result, although vocabulary IS important, we need to combine language with other ways of knowing to actually acquire knowledge.

What do you think?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi!

Can someone please advise me on which AoK goes well with this title? And also provide an explanation why?

I already decided to have Natural Sciences as an AoK - I'm planning to discuss the new/different words/expressions that are invented for simmilar things - in physics to be more precise.

Thanks and your help will be very much appreciated!

x

Just to point out that if anybody intends to submit their TOK essay on this title, DO NOT POST IT HERE. Until your essay has been through the examiners and you've got your hands on the flimsy bit of paper which will constitute your IB Diploma, don't post it.

I came on this topic largely to point interested people in the direction of a very intriguing bit of information I saw on a TV programme the other day about how the vocabulary that we have (and indeed having vocabulary at all) influences the way we see colours. It's really worth watching!

That's part 4/4 (it's still currently on the BBC iPlayer for those with access to it) and has the most relevant bits to this essay (in my opinion) contained within it, but the whole programme is worth watching. Really interesting :yes: Basically it seems that your vocabulary does indeed shape what you know! About colours at least.

I still didn't choose my TOK topic, but this one is at top of my list....

I have been reading a lot of the comments of saying the Maths symbols and stuff like that, are they considered Vocabulary?

My answer is yes. For several reasons, Language is a way of communication and language uses words. and those words are considered vocabulary. And in Maths, chemistry etc... the symbols are like the words of the language but in a different style. Which means they are vocabulary... And also those symbols in mathematics and chemistry have names like the "E" which means sum. Its vocabulary word "Sigma" So that means those symbols are vocabulary. And they are used because they look understandable more than if they are written. And takes a shorter time.

However, I don't know how this is a way of tackling the question. What I mean if the argument is that if we posses the vocabulary does that mean we know about things. And the counter argument is that if we don't have such vocabulary does that mean we don't know it.

Like i know the word "Love" and read lots of poetry and stories about it. does that mean I know love. But if you are 6 months baby and don't know a single word, in other words "NO Vocabulary" doesn't he know the meaning of love. Doesn't he love his mother

• Like 1