Mathematics HL Paper 2

kevinsheng

I absolutely hated the last question with f(x)=(a+bex)/(aex+b), I stopped at part c... and the one in section A about finding the gradient m and point of intersection of curve and tangent. Those two make it harder than paper 1 for me but otherwise it was almost same difficulty.

• 11 months later...

:( damn...I found paper 2 so much harder than paper 1...

I could do almost all of the question in paper 1 and I know I've got most of them correct..but paper 2...

I simply just blanked out on the stats and that modulus/argument question, wasted so much time on section A, didn't get time to consider much for section B, made a few weak attempts and I hate vectors now :(

Where is calulus for paper 2?! >:(

not enough calulus imo.

I definitely thought paper 2 was easier than paper 1, probably because there was virtually no calculus :P

Screwed up the very last question as well as trying to solve u in the complex number in section A (I only got one solution LOL :unsure:)

For the arctan question did you guys solve it using your calculator or by using compound angle formula?

For the arctan question I basically took tan of it then took the arctan again. Not sure if ur allowed to do that. Did anyone get the sequences question part b? I spent soo long trying to do it but failed.

Don't really understand you sorry about the arctan. YES! Only right at the end, didn't get it the first or the second time I looked at it but had an epiphany with 5 mins to go. Using u1=a^2(1-r)^2 and r=r^2 and substitution into the sum formula it re-arranged itself.

For the arctan question I basically took tan of it then took the arctan again. Not sure if ur allowed to do that. Did anyone get the sequences question part b? I spent soo long trying to do it but failed.

Don't really understand you sorry about the arctan. YES! Only right at the end, didn't get it the first or the second time I looked at it but had an epiphany with 5 mins to go. Using u1=a^2(1-r)^2 and r=r^2 and substitution into the sum formula it re-arranged itself.

Omg thats what I did too but I thought that I was way off so I decided to give up. I got up to r= r^2. Would u guys say that paper 1 and 2 was hard compared to other years. I wanna know if it'll be likely that they lower or raise grade boundaries. I really need a 7 for maths, it's a prerequisite for the unis I'm applying to

Omg thats what I did too but I thought that I was way off so I decided to give up. I got up to r= r^2. Would u guys say that paper 1 and 2 was hard compared to other years. I wanna know if it'll be likely that they lower or raise grade boundaries. I really need a 7 for maths, it's a prerequisite for the unis I'm applying to

where are you applying to with that high maths requirement? :eek:

erm..the arctan one...was straight from one of the past paper question...

where are you applying to with that high maths requirement? :eek:

erm..the arctan one...was straight from one of the past paper question...

Yeah but it was originally from a paper 1, so you had to use compound angle formula. To stick in paper 2 was odd because you could simply solve it on your calculator....

I'm applying for economics at cambridge and london school of economics and its "ideal" to have a 7 in HL maths, which basically means i need a 7.

For arctan question, it was like solve arctan(1/2) + arctan (1/3). what i did was tan(arctan(1/2) + arctan (1/3))= (1/2 + 1/3)/ (1- 1/2 x 1/3)= 1

then i took tan(1)= pi/4. i didnt do the past paper which had that question on it, so i completely guessed it... :(

nah that's how u do it.

U did it the right way! Congrats! :D

Although I think u may have used the wrong formula?

But good luck for your uni application :D

I'm applying everywhere...Has to do my SAT right after the exam finishes...

SAT's on 3rd December and my exam finishes on 11th Nov...

Haven't done any practices...so...20 days to get above 1350/1600 for math+english in SAT :D

It will be fun...

I want to go to Wharton college for finance or stanford for fiance or university likewise..So...pretty ambtious of me :P

I'm applying for economics at cambridge and london school of economics and its "ideal" to have a 7 in HL maths, which basically means i need a 7.

For arctan question, it was like solve arctan(1/2) + arctan (1/3). what i did was tan(arctan(1/2) + arctan (1/3))= (1/2 + 1/3)/ (1- 1/2 x 1/3)= 1

then i took tan(1)= pi/4. i didnt do the past paper which had that question on it, so i completely guessed it... :(

Cool thats what I did except I thought the question was arctan(1/2)-arctan(1/3)= arctan(a)? :hmmm: so I ended up with tan(1/7)= a.... Hope I got method marks.....

Edited by United4Life