Urgent! I have my exam tommorow

FoodSta_PasTA

Hey, im one of the few students writing november standard level math exam, and i have my paper 2 tommorow.

I was wondering, to what extent are we allowed to use our GDC?

So for example, when you're finding the area between two functions, can we just use GDC to find the point of interception and thus find the area? or do we have to show this by hand and use GDC to check our answers?

because i just read a past exam marking scheme, and it didnt specify on usage of GDC, or whether or not you can use it

Edited by 2401 Tangents
No chat speak

My teacher normally says look at the marks awarded for that question. If it's like 4 points, then you do need to show how you worked it out. If it's a simple 2 point question, then just show the equations you are working with and work out the answer using the GDC.

Area between two functions, once again, if it's like 4+ points then show all working out even though you can calculate it using the GDC. If it's 2 or 3 marks, then I'd say that's just off the GDC and including the formula.

Normally what I used to do is make sure I write in brackets that I used the GDC for this. If I know I have time, I'll show at least a little bit of working out for each question. But to be honest with you, don't risk it. Finishing the math exam and doing it good isn't that easy.

I know you heard this before, but please make sure you skip a question if you don't know the answer, do not say "Ok, I am just missing one thing! I am so close to working it out", it's useless! Go directly to the next question!

No last minute exercise revisions, just take a look at the main rules and tips.

You will do fine, do not freak out and risk going blank in the exam, because I am sure you are capable of doing this. :P

Best of luck!

• Like 1

Hey, you're not the only one doing the math SL paper 2 exam tomorrow - so am I :P

You can definitely use your GDC whenever you want, but just be careful with how much you rely on your GDC. If the question is worth one or two points only and you used your calculator, write the answer the calculator gives you and write (GDC) next to it.

As for the Area bound by curves question, you can definitely use your GDC - In fact, in some questions you have no choice. If the question says "Show that ...." then just write your steps on your exam and then put them into your calculator. In the markscheme you will always get more points for showing the steps. Hope this help! and good luck!

did my math past paper 2 sl today. what did you guys think? mine went utterly bad. I think I'm getting a 4 again... and all that wasted work and months of 24/7 studying just to get a 4 -.- ugh. oh and I couldnt solve the integrals in section B without the use of a GDC. Did anyone else get a negative area for the curve of xln(4-x^2) or something like that or am I just being stupid. 4-5 it is for me then...

Edited by Supib

man, you can't discuss Paper 2 'till tomorrow. 24hrs, remember? anyway, as far as I know, you MUST use the calculator whenever possible (and if it's faster of course) if you intend to finish in time and you won't loose marks for it. If they intend you to do it without a calc they'll usually use symbols instead. It's perfectly normal to say:

x-y=3

4x+y=5

x = ... y= ... using GDC

or

X~N(60,42)

P(X<56)=0.16 using GDC

or

if you use a graph to find intersections and areas, you must sketch the graph. Don't forget 3 significant figures whenever you use the calc.