Does everyone have to do English HL?

ezex

Ya I'm having problems with my IA's for English too...I really hate the whole English program in my school, mainly because we're forced to take HL in all our Humanities classes. Does everyone else around the globe have to take English HL? Or is it just our stupid school?

Not everyone need to no. There is an SL for a reason. I think it varies between the schools capacity and how much they can offer as well as well as students interest. We have A1 and A2 English HL/SL.

Sorry that you had to go through it :) I have a couple of friends who don't like English at all and they managed to escape having english by choosing another A1 language and then take another language B.

for my school we only had arabic A1, English A1 and those language in B, language Bs were only offered in HL as well. Depends on school policy tbh. My principle thought that everyone could do A2 SL but there weren't enough students interested in that, so she forced everyone to do B HL instead :)

Guest whatever

No no!

We have HL and SL =)

A1 , A2 , so four levels ...

i heard there is also English B ? or something i don't know what exactly is it..

But it's hard if all of the students have to take HL .Is it A2 or A1?

Ya I'm having problems with my IA's for English too...I really hate the whole English program in my school, mainly because we're forced to take HL in all our Humanities classes. Does everyone else around the globe have to take English HL? Or is it just our stupid school?

At my school everyone has to go HL in English. They don't give you an option and I didn't even know there was a SL English test.

I'm pretty sure we have HL and SL in all of our subjects(well, except ES and ab initio languages...). The not-so-good thing about it is that some classes are for both HL an SL, like Economics, psychology and Philosophy(And probably history, but I'm not sure). The result of it is that The HL students get to do things a bit less demanding than they should, or that the SL students get to do things a bit more demanding. Or both? I have no idea. I don't like the mixed groups, anyways...

(and we have 7 languages btw... 2 as A1 not self-taught)

Edited by Frei

• 1 month later...

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one who has to take HL for all of the humanity classes. Not that I mind, I'd rather have that than having to take all science HL, I don't even want to imagine HL Chemistry.

Our school required us to take HL English too, which sucks. We're also forced to take HL History, SL Math (no HL :D ), and our only second language option is SL French.

So pretty much the only choice we get is which two sciences we want; and even then, our school doesn't offer have HL physics :'(

ohmygod! The IB is hard enough without being forced to do certain subjects!

I thought my school was bad, but at least we don't get forced to do things! eeeek.

Although, i find if you're bad at english, you're bad at both SL and HL and if you're good, then you're good at both so i guess it's not TOO bad!

• 2 weeks later...
English HL for everyone... what a scary thought

I feel for you :P

Thank you :P haha. Yeah, english HL pretty much sucks but it's just gotten a lot better for me since I'm now done my world lits. And I agree that if you're generally strong in the languages, you'll do well no matter if it's SL or HL. I think I'm doing okay in english HL right now (lvl 6) but I think I could get a lvl 7 if I was doing english SL.

I really wish I could've taken english SL and biology HL instead of what I have right now (english HL and biology SL).