What do you do in Music?

MinaDoan

I am thinking about changing Chemistry HL to Music HL because may be Maths HL + Physic HL + Chemistry HL is too much for me.

However, i will not choose it if there is ANY WRITING assessment task (both hand-in or in-class). >> just practical so i can do more piano XD

So yeah, what do your class do??

We have 4 components in our class.

Our teacher used to teach music appreciation at the local college, so he's teaching that exact course to us. That's the survey of historical music, or something like that.

Then we do the survey of world music.

Once a week we go to the computer lab and compose.

At some point we start analyzing the prescribed pieces.

Once every month or so we make a recording of a piece from the time period we're studying.

Our tests consist of listening to pieces we know and listing characteristics about that piece, then writing an essay about some topics. Pretty easy; the essay doesn't have to be well spoken/fluid. It's more of a science essay than an english one...

We don't do very much writing at my school, your school might.

My school is in it's second year of IB.

We currently have a IB music class of 8: 3 2nd year student and 5 1st year students.

• 1 year later...

Wow. My class was laaaaaame especially compared to all of yours.

It was called music theory class, but we pretty much just played with the school orchestra every day, and we were required to read a textbook and take notes on our own time. Starting in the spring, we started to meet every week to begin studying the prescribed pieces and did about 1-2 hours of studying the characteristics of musical eras. Oh and the IA, everything on our own time.

It probably isn't like this at any other school... Our teacher didn't give a crap or know anything about IB, so. Except for the people who already knew about music beforehand, no one was prepared....

• 4 weeks later...

Ok...what you should do is go find someone from your school that takes IB music and talk to them...every school does it how ever the teacher sees fit. when i was reading through this topic non of the responses were even close to what my school dose. for example in my school the music class is over the duration of two years(many school do not have such extensive programs, one year max). next we have two teacher one is for that historical part of music and another does theoretical side. we interchange between them two. also i know that allot of school will not go over the musical peaces that you are going to be tested on. they will expect you to do it your self, but in our school since its a two year class we study those peaces in great detail...it's not against the rule, its just that most teachers don't want to put all of that time in to studying the peaces!!! so if you talk to your class mates you should get a good picture of how your school dose it.

P.S. if you want to take a HL Music you should have a strong musical background---because they will expect you to play a solo(s) for 15 min(vocal or instrumental)...and those solos have to be really advanced music(not twinkle twinkle little star)...

• 2 months later...

Not to necrothread this or anything, but I thought I'd comment for others who see this.

I don't know about Music HL but for SL, we had TONS of writing . First year, we did nothing but music era study and listening essays on the music of the era. We studied a little bit of theory. There was a ton of homework.

Second year, we had score study and CONSTANT in class music essays to mimic section B of the official SL exam. Anything we did was geared at the test. It worked well though, cause I just took the test this evening. I think I did well, but some wise words of advice... memorize those dang scores! You will ace section A.