Can you do an ab initio laguage even if you have learnt it at home

Nope you cant do anything...

not unless in the previous year that person learnt that particular language in the Board he was following (except IGCSE).

For example: A friend of mine did german in Grade 9 and 10 but it wasn't the IGCSE board, it was the Indian one (ICSE) So he cant take german ab initio now. He must take SL 'cause university's don't like this.

But for another person who has learnt german at home or elsewhere...he may do it.

Well I'll put in my two cents:

I'm taking French B SL, but I have spent 10 years studying French, so I'm almost fluent in it now. I would take French A2, but it isn't offered at my school so I would have to self-study it (my school doesn't even offer any other languages). Very few people at my school have self-studied a language over the 10+ years my school has offered IB, and they didn't do so well. I didn't want to take that risk, so I stuck with French B SL. I have yet to see if that was a good choice (I start IB this September).

If your school doesn't offer any other language or Spanish at B, A2, or A1 level, then I feel he/she has the right to take Spanish ab initio.

Nope you cant do anything...

not unless in the previous year that person learnt that particular language in the Board he was following (except IGCSE).

For example: A friend of mine did german in Grade 9 and 10 but it wasn't the IGCSE board, it was the Indian one (ICSE) So he cant take german ab initio now. He must take SL 'cause university's don't like this.

But for another person who has learnt german at home or elsewhere...he may do it.

Damn, it should be banned at my school too.

IB should make a rule about this!

Well, ab initio literally means "from beginning" in Latin so BAM!

anyway, ther's a big gap between French B Sl and Frenchn ab initio

this man is obviously a genius, I cannot comprehend the sick and twisted mind frame of anyone who would dare contradict him.

• Like 3

(Saunders is god, just remember that Saunders... is an IB god. Perhaps you should consult him.)

Really, Saunders is god, it is up to the IB coordinators and the school to come up with rules and regulations as to who can take an ab initio language. In your school's case, it seems anyone who has never LEARNT the language formally can take it. So you don't need to consult the IB Gods, just the IB Coordinator at your school.

IMHO people who have picked up a language spoken at home have somewhat of a disadvantage in learning at school as it does not necessarily guarantee knowledge of grammar structure, formal sentence construction, or formal written and spoken language, outweighing the advantage a student has in terms of vocabulary.

Edited by Schrödinger's Cat

IMHO people who have picked up a language spoken at home have somewhat of a disadvantage in learning at school as it does not necessarily guarantee knowledge of grammar structure, formal sentence construction, or formal written and spoken language, outweighing the advantage a student has in terms of vocabulary.

How true...but hey...perhaps you're better off concentrating on your own studies. Forget the others and what languages they know......do your own and remember "There may be god but no IB god."

Quoting uncylopedia=

IB Students worshiping their TRUE GOD:

4469_106429108447_777188447_2672529_8218072_n.jpg

Edited by Guest

• 3 weeks later...

It's not unfair at all it's just stupid if you do. It's like reaffirming the fact that you aren't good enough to take your mother tongue to A1. I could have taken French B HL and Swedish A1 SL or English A1 SL but I would have never wanted to do French B because firstly I want to prove i can speak and write as if I were French and not cheaply think that I can.

Shouldn't this rule of 'native fluency' be applied to B languages as well?