IB Prep?

Globe

Hi guyyyyss. I'm new here.

Anyways, I transferred to a bigger school mid-last year so I could start IB1 this year, as a Junior. I skipped a grade though, so I'm a little young. (Still 15..) I'll be taking: Math SL (we don't offer HL) Bio HL, English HL, History HL, Physics SL, and Spanish SL, and of course ToK.

What should I be doing in-prep? It starts in oh, a month. As it is I've taken and aced Math 252 (More or less Calculus AB) through the Uni of North Dakota, so Math SL shouldn't be a problem. I'm fluent in Spanish as linguistics is a hobby for me, and I've been studying a lot of Bio (I want to go into Evo Devo and neuropsych) so I've been reading a lot of books on evolution. I re-read A people's History of the United States by Howard Zinn as prep for History HL. My CAS hours won't be a problem, I'm done with the Service hours and I do 2 varsity sports so Action won't be hard. As per the EE I want to write it something on the lines of Mitochondria and how they pre-program cell death.

I'm a bad student, you could say. I got B's in classes I wasn't interested in, and don't hold a 4.0, (Closer to a 3.6..) But this isn't my fault. I spent my last 2 years getting, say, a B in Advanced Bio, even though Biology is my love. I spent my time reading a college level bio book rather than doing the bull****ty high school stuff. I think IB will bring out my passion for learning, because it's there, I just need to actually be presented with something I don't yet know.

I've already read books like The Great Gatsby, and Grapes of Wrath. Actually, about half the books I'll be reading in English HL I've already read at least once. Any tips? I want to be a 40+ point diploma student, as my GPA as it stands won't show I'm a good student, even if my SAT scores are 2000+

Thanks, :blum:

Edited by Run

Lol, youth and its hilarities. The prep you have should be enough. Your bio ee will need work though (It has to be a lab if I remember correctly).

For History HL you should read Rise To Globalism by Stephen Ambrose. It is the best book you can possibly read for History of the Americas HL. Easily trumps Zinn's work (And I love Zinn)

Physics is easy peasy if you have a decent teacher and you are decent at math.

If you are truly fluent in Spanish than Sl will be a waste of your time I think...provided you have some knowledge of Spanish culture.

The best thing you can do for English HL is to read the books, so you should be good there.

Umm, I think you have to complete the CAS hours while you are an IB student... in the DP.

And a 3.6 is not bad on a 4 point scale.

For getting forty plus, I recommend A LOT OF STUDYING haha but your prep should be just fine. Seems excellent to be honest.

To be honest, you don't have to do any preparation at all for the IB. If you get bored by learning things more than once (understandable) then it seems to me like the less preparation you do beforehand, the better! I hate doing things more than once as well, and it's for exactly that reason I'd never do anything knowing I was going to have to cover it again later :P Provided you pay attention during the time you do do it, you save yourself death by boredom. A little bit. Certain things will always be boring anyway xP

The way to succeed in the IB is to do your coursework very well, stick to the syllabus and make sure that everything you do sticks to the IBO's criteria like proverbial glue. I reckon that if people are taught to approach the IB from the right angle, regardless of ability, they should be able to get at least 36 points, and plus some extra effort on top of that, 40+ is certainly achievable by a lot of people (unless taking some suicidal subject combo). So based on what you've said, my advice is that you stick away from trying to read a load of extra stuff. Learn only what they tell you to learn on the syllabus, and follow any exemplar stuff you're given to the letter. If you do that well enough, I'm sure you'll be able to get the grade you want. Extra reading won't help you at all with anything in any subject except for your EE where you have to do all your own reading anyway, so unless you enjoy reading history books etc., I'd not worry about that kind of thing. IB isn't University-level stuff or University style learning and researching except for in a few key areas (like the EE and perhaps some things like the Historical Investigation, Philosophy IAs etc.). Don't assume that the IB isn't mostly standard hoop-jumping, because it is. It's the ultimate hoop-jumping :D If you don't put the effort into something because it bores you, you'll get a lower grade in IB just like you'd get a B instead of an A in whatever programme you were doing before.

If you're fluent in Spanish, I assume you're taking A2 Spanish rather than Spanish B?

Also, as the person above me said, you're not going to score well in your Biology Extended Essay unless you do an experiment. It's some kind of special rule. So I don't think you'll be able to study mitochondria unless you manage to rent out University/research facilities. Or you have an AMAZING school lab with an electron microscope etc.! :P All in all, your topic doesn't sound plausible to me. Incidentally, I don't suppose that topic was inspired by Nick Lane at all? It sounds kinda like it, but if somehow it's not, I'd really recommend you read Oxygen and Power, Sex, Suicide for your own totally-non-IB related fascination. I cannot explain how brilliant his books are, and I'm sure you'd enjoy them if you're interested in these sorts of questions! :)

If you're fluent in Spanish, I assume you're taking A2 Spanish rather than Spanish B?

Sadly, my school only offers Spanish B SL :/. I'd want to take something along the lines of a SL Japanese course or something, as I've been learning Kanji, or maybe Italian, because that's my third language, but my school's sorta small.

It sounds kinda like it, but if somehow it's not, I'd really recommend you read Oxygen and Power, Sex, Suicide for your own totally-non-IB related fascination. I cannot explain how brilliant his books are, and I'm sure you'd enjoy them if you're interested in these sorts of questions! :P

Yes! I love Nick Lane. I own that book, and Life Ascending, and Oxygen: The Molecule that made the world. All three of his books really inspired me to go into Evolutionary Development. Ah that's sad, guess I'll talk to my IB Adviser about my topic then, thanks.

For History HL you should read Rise To Globalism by Stephen Ambrose. It is the best book you can possibly read for History of the Americas HL. Easily trumps Zinn's work (And I love Zinn)

That book has been on my reading list for awhile! Thanks for recommending it, once I get through the final 6 chapters of Zinn's book and finish reading 1984 I'll get on it! As I remember, though, Rise To Globalism covers 1938 to clinton? Right? First year of IB History HL is history of the Americas (conquistadors & 1492 up through most of today) while second year is IB 20th Century history, and will cover more recent things (WWI-present) right? It would seem as if Rise To Globalism would be something I should read in a year, as prep to my second year of the HL course?

If you are truly fluent in Spanish than Sl will be a waste of your time I think...provided you have some knowledge of Spanish culture.

Yeah, my school only offers Spanish SL, I grew up in a largely spanish speaking portion of NYC though, and so yeah, I'm truly fluent.

Umm, I think you have to complete the CAS hours while you are an IB student... in the DP.

Yes, I'm doing them the summer before IB1 (Junior) year, that's what my IB Adviser told me to do.

Thanks guys :P

Edited by Run

Yes, I'm doing them the summer before IB1 (Junior) year, that's what my IB Adviser told me to do.

Thanks guys :P

You can't do this. These hours have to be done continuously during these two years (or one and a half, rather).

You seem very well prepared. If you've read the English books already, you'll be fine, Spanish SL won't be a problem at all, physics is not to hard all and the other subjects will probably be fairly easy as well.

The main thing to remember is to revise continuously! Don't just reread stuff the week before the test. Revise the harder topics for HL subjects as often as possible (within reason). Also, plan your time. If you get an IA assignment or a lab report, start to work on it the same day. For orals, practise them as many times as you need. It's quite possible to practise unprepared orals as well, and probably most useful.

However, good grades are important, but they are not everything in the world. Don't get to stressed out. You seem very ambituous, which is good, but it can be too much as well.

:P

Yes! I love Nick Lane. I own that book, and Life Ascending, and Oxygen: The Molecule that made the world. All three of his books really inspired me to go into Evolutionary Development. Ah that's sad, guess I'll talk to my IB Adviser about my topic then, thanks.

Ahhh another Nick Lane lover :) His books definitely inspired me to study a field related to Biology too :D You've got one more than me though! I'll have to try and order Life Ascending. I didn't realise it when I applied, but he's actually at my University and I had this crazy excited moment the other day that I might get lectured by him! Lame as it is :P Only I think he's only a research fellow and doesn't teach :/ Still, I keep my eyes peeled as I walk around :P

It would really be the coolest thing to work on that kind of material!

Ahhh another Nick Lane lover :) His books definitely inspired me to study a field related to Biology too :D You've got one more than me though! I'll have to try and order Life Ascending. I didn't realise it when I applied, but he's actually at my University and I had this crazy excited moment the other day that I might get lectured by him! Lame as it is :P Only I think he's only a research fellow and doesn't teach :/ Still, I keep my eyes peeled as I walk around :P

It would really be the coolest thing to work on that kind of material!

This is so off-topic but that's awesome!!

Life Ascending is his best piece, it covers the scientific approach to how many things evolved from DNA to Photosystems 1 & 2 to consciousness to death and whatnot. Definitely an intriguing read and is what inspired me to study more into the evolution of consciousness and more particularly how the brain evolved to have a memory. University College London then I take it? Sweet. I really enjoy his writing style, and I'm sure I'll be referencing the highlights I made in those books during IB Bio.

You can't do this. These hours have to be done continuously during these two years (or one and a half, rather).

I'm volunteering as a cardio attendant at the local gym for my service, then once Cross country starts I'll be getting my action hours (somehow varsity sports count?) and then I'm continuing my acoustic guitar lessons next summer to cover my creativity. I guess that's more.. continuous than I previously said.

The main thing to remember is to revise continuously! Don't just reread stuff the week before the test. Revise the harder topics for HL subjects as often as possible (within reason). Also, plan your time. If you get an IA assignment or a lab report, start to work on it the same day. For orals, practise them as many times as you need. It's quite possible to practise unprepared orals as well, and probably most useful.

Yeah, put my gaming computer in the closet the other week. D:. Not going to procrastinate this time.

Oh, how do the options for IB Bio HL work? I was looking into the topics of evolution and apparently it's "Option D" and there are other options? How does that work?

Life Ascending is his best piece, it covers the scientific approach to how many things evolved from DNA to Photosystems 1 & 2 to consciousness to death and whatnot. Definitely an intriguing read and is what inspired me to study more into the evolution of consciousness and more particularly how the brain evolved to have a memory. University College London then I take it? Sweet. I really enjoy his writing style, and I'm sure I'll be referencing the highlights I made in those books during IB Bio.

Oh, how do the options for IB Bio HL work? I was looking into the topics of evolution and apparently it's "Option D" and there are other options? How does that work?

Yep. I don't know if you'll be referencing anything during IB Bio, I'm afraid xP It's not that detailed about the sorts of things in Nick Lane's books. Incidentally, have you tried reading The Private Life of the Brain by Susan Greenfield? I read it around the same time as the Nick Lane ones and it's pretty cool -- a lot of stuff about consciousness and a bit on memory too :]

For HL Biology you take two options. Your teacher might pick which ones to teach you, but at the end of the day you can do any of them if you're willing to teach yourself, you'll get an exam paper with questions on every option so you can just pick and choose. Evolution isn't very interesting for the IB at all (I didn't think so) but I really enjoyed the options we did -- Further Human Physiology (H or F, I think?) and Opt E which was the Neurobiology and Behaviour one. Some options cover a lot more new and interesting things than others :P E was my favourite.

Yep. I don't know if you'll be referencing anything during IB Bio, I'm afraid xP It's not that detailed about the sorts of things in Nick Lane's books. Incidentally, have you tried reading The Private Life of the Brain by Susan Greenfield? I read it around the same time as the Nick Lane ones and it's pretty cool -- a lot of stuff about consciousness and a bit on memory too :]

For HL Biology you take two options. Your teacher might pick which ones to teach you, but at the end of the day you can do any of them if you're willing to teach yourself, you'll get an exam paper with questions on every option so you can just pick and choose. Evolution isn't very interesting for the IB at all (I didn't think so) but I really enjoyed the options we did -- Further Human Physiology (H or F, I think?) and Opt E which was the Neurobiology and Behaviour one. Some options cover a lot more new and interesting things than others :P E was my favourite.

Nope I actually have not got around to reading that book! I've read Journey to the Centers of the Mind: Toward a Science of Consciousness by her, though, and The Private Life of the Brain is on my reading list. Okay, Neurobio and Evolution sound like compelling options for me. Sadly it seems like the Evolution option doesn't go very in-depth to how specific traits and whatnot arise. :/. Further Human Physiology might be nice, just to expand my knowledge, ah. I'll figure something out. Fairly excited to have a high school bio course that goes further than "Mitochondria make ATP." and not even go into how ubiquinone and cytochrome bc-1 and whatnot work in the ETC.

For History of the Americas there is no way that you will cover everything. Almost all teachers will focus in on specific topics. If your teacher chooses the cold war as a focus of study Rise To Globalism will be the best possible book to read. I read it over the summer to prepare for this year (My school does cold war second year) but others do not. I recommend it because I recently read something that stated that almost all History of the Americas classes in the U.S. cover the Cold War.

And what Tilia said is true~about revision/review and CAS.

For History of the Americas there is no way that you will cover everything. Almost all teachers will focus in on specific topics. If your teacher chooses the cold war as a focus of study Rise To Globalism will be the best possible book to read. I read it over the summer to prepare for this year (My school does cold war second year) but others do not. I recommend it because I recently read something that stated that almost all History of the Americas classes in the U.S. cover the Cold War.

And what Tilia said is true~about revision/review and CAS.

Oh oh oh oh of course! Now I get it. That makes perfect sense, kay, I'll get started on that book stat. Thanks for the recommendation!

Hahaha I love your enthusiasm! If you do not mind me asking are you going to an IB school in Minnesota? Two of my very good friends go to an IB school there and I am somewhat curious.

I strongly feel like my enthusiasm will die the first night I have like 3 IAs to do but for the moment I'm excited.

Nope, I'm way out in Oregon

Haha I'm in the same boat as you (starting IB in September). I'm volunteering this summer and hopefully counting it towards CAS, but that's about it for me. I may start reading some books but I don't know which ones my class will be doing in IB.

You sound more prepared than me :P Though I've been told by the IB kids a year older than me to enjoy this summer, because next summer I'll have to do the EE and maybe some reading.

Good luck to you XD Hopefully we can help each other out.

Lol I been there. My physics teacher forgot to assign the IA's till the last minute (as we later found out, to screw with us) and I had five to do in a week. Not fun.

And hmm nvm then

Ha. My physics teacher/calculus teacher is a mormon pastor. Lol.

Haha I'm in the same boat as you (starting IB in September). I'm volunteering this summer and hopefully counting it towards CAS, but that's about it for me. I may start reading some books but I don't know which ones my class will be doing in IB.

You sound more prepared than me :( Though I've been told by the IB kids a year older than me to enjoy this summer, because next summer I'll have to do the EE and maybe some reading.

Good luck to you :( Hopefully we can help each other out.

Kayyy! Added you as a friend, or whatever. Yeah. That's what my friend Neve told me, but I figure reading now means less reading during the school year and maybe being able to focus on State championships for track D:

You sound more prepared than me :no: Though I've been told by the IB kids a year older than me to enjoy this summer, because next summer I'll have to do the EE and maybe some reading.

Really? I heard you should prepare ahead as much as you can. That way you'll be more confident for the exams, but not over-confident because you realize that you still have to study. But it's up to you I guess, I don't mind keeping myself a bit occupied with books.