Can you start CAS hours before IB1?

Hey everyone :) I was just wondering if most people are allowed to start CAS hours the summer before IB1 starts. My school allows it, but from what I've seen on the forum, some schools don't allow this. I don't plan on starting them yet though :(

Just interested :)

Edited by fire.realm

• 9 months later...
Guest Soiboist

I am going to ask my rather experienced CAS teacher about it and see what he says. It seems a bit like something that they IBO would prohibit though, I mean you could theoretically spend more time studying instead of doing CAS which would result in better grades. :P

(We didn't get pre-IB)...

There were some students (with siblings in IB) who had done some activities during summer, and even made sure they had their proof and everything... but they were unable to use it as hours because our CAS hours had not started yet. I was told that your hours need to be completed regularly (3-4 hours/week), during your 20 months in the IB program :)

And so, in our school, they did not allow CAS to begin before IB :(

Guest Red XII

My school used to let students start the summer before IB, but then changed it so we can't start until the first day of IB. Apparently they decided it's against the IB rules to let us do that, but I'm not sure whether that's actually the case.