Philosophy

Frei

Anyone in here taking philosophy?

I am in the first group to take philosophy at my school, which makes me feel more like a guinea pig than a philosopher.. Therefore, I'd like to hear about what other people in other schools do in their philosophy classes.

We mostly talk about old philosophers(Plato, Kant, Freud, Marx) and do some less historical work with.. examining life? what is a human being? I don't remember the subject :D But it's some more practical work, and mostly historical.

What's it like in your classes?

We don't offer philosophy at our school, but it sounds a bit like TOK to me. That would be kind of redundant for Diploma students, though, so I was just wondering what is different?

Uhm.. I have the same teacher in philosophy as well as in ToK, so i guess he makes sure that they are different...

ToK is mostly about logic... Like arguments and how we know things, right? That is philosophy for sure...

But philosophy is so much more, such as the history and a lot of other dilemmas... I'm not really sure how to answer the question, to be honest. If you are interested, please specify your question and try again! :P

I've taken philosophy :rofl: My teacher doesn't teach TOK, just philosophy. We are doing philosophy of religion it is quite interesting, but as I know there are some other options. Obviously we are talking about "what is the human being?" :D as it is a part of philosophy, tok and I think it is a question of every person living this life :D

In my opinion it's a subject which can help you self-develope, becuase you need to look on the dillema from different sides (a bit like in TOK) and be creative in formulating your opinions ;)

At first I also had the "old" philosophy (you should to have some basis to know what are you talking about) and now we talk more about the modern times. What is much more interesting for me.

This is our second year with Philosophy at my school. If you take one year it's SL, two years is HL. I'm not sure how that really works out (I don't take the class) since all the Philosophy students are in the same class... But from what I hear from my friends who are taking the class, they all love it. And they've all become obsessed with Plato and <i>The Republic</i> :rofl:

It seems like Philosophy is more focused on examining works by philosophers than TOK is? Or at least at our school, since our TOK classes are really more centered on I guess, more "concrete" (for lack of a better word) things. Our discussions tend to be based mainly on our own experiences, songs/books/poems we read, etc. Philosophy class on the other hand, centers around metaphysical works and such.

The Philosophy teacher is also our IB Coordinator/Euro History HL Yr 1 Teacher/TOK Teacher.

I'm sort of wishing I had taken the class =(

At first I also had the "old" philosophy (you should to have some basis to know what are you talking about) and now we talk more about the modern times. What is much more interesting for me.

I sure do hope that we will do some more "practical" things... Such as philosophical "experiments". But one can only hope.

This is our second year with Philosophy at my school. If you take one year it's SL, two years is HL. I'm not sure how that really works out (I don't take the class) since all the Philosophy students are in the same class... But from what I hear from my friends who are taking the class, they all love it. And they've all become obsessed with Plato and <i>The Republic</i> :D

It seems like Philosophy is more focused on examining works by philosophers than TOK is? Or at least at our school, since our TOK classes are really more centered on I guess, more "concrete" (for lack of a better word) things. Our discussions tend to be based mainly on our own experiences, songs/books/poems we read, etc. Philosophy class on the other hand, centers around metaphysical works and such.

The Philosophy teacher is also our IB Coordinator/Euro History HL Yr 1 Teacher/TOK Teacher.

I'm sort of wishing I had taken the class =(

oh dear, The Republic... I don't think anyone in our class is that interested in it :( . The philosophy teacher in your school seems kind of hardcore... :)

• 5 weeks later...

In TOK attention is put on the problems of knowledge, ways of knowing etc. Generally, I think we can say that these are only"grains" from philosophy. During the two years all you do is based on these. However, on the subject 'philosophy ' despite you have history of philosophy and biographies :D things you can hear on tok are more widely said, you also study in details particular philosophic systems, compare them with each other. What's more as I know philosophy lessons vary with each other in different schools, e.g. I have philosophy of religion. We talk a lot about different ethical points of view and about current events.

There are also some things about which you talk on tok and don't on philosophy. (e.g. ways of knowing).

Sample TOK vs. Philosophy lesson:

TOK: you have said what utilitarianism ( definition) is and then the TOK dilemmas starts ^^ why yes? is it good? why not? what if...?

Philosophy: you have from the very beginning how it developed, genesis, what was philosophers attitude to it, what does it mean in real life, if it's possible (here it's similar to tok)...

I think it's like that. What do you think?

• 2 weeks later...
Philosophy sounds like a nice course, but it isn't offered at my school. I used to take philosophy club but there was only about 6 other people in it so it died after sophomore year.

I definently would be interested in taking a philosophy class.

Start a new, better club, then? There are usually some people interested in philosophy, and so I think the reason such a club will not work is not because people are not interested, but because there were not enough activities/cookies/whatever..

• 1 month later...
philosophy is just the hardcore version of TOK

TOK seems really fluffy to my philosophy class. maybe its just the way they teach tok at my school?

Maybe. In our ToK class we do some "fluffy" philosophy, sure, but about our other subjects... We have done it about History and maths so far. I would really not say that they are the same thing, and I don't think they should be. But good for you, ToK without extra work. ^^

Anyone in here taking philosophy?

I am in the first group to take philosophy at my school, which makes me feel more like a guinea pig than a philosopher.. Therefore, I'd like to hear about what other people in other schools do in their philosophy classes.

We mostly talk about old philosophers(Plato, Kant, Freud, Marx) and do some less historical work with.. examining life? what is a human being? I don't remember the subject :D But it's some more practical work, and mostly historical.

What's it like in your classes?

I took philosophy and just completed my mock exam two days ago. If you need any help with anything let me know. However, philosophy looks at diffrent philosophers and their arguments and beliefs. By learning their arguments you then analyze works and also create dialouges based on what you know and create your own arguments.

• 2 weeks later...