Philosophy

Frei

From what friends taking Philosophy have said, the course is much more content-based than ToK, at least at our school. We begin with the knowledge issues, discuss them, bring in arguments, and then our teacher will mention any relevant thinkers. In Philosophy, they begin with the thinkers and explain their arguments, as well as going into more depth with the historical context.

Sorry for interrupting, but while speaking about philosophy, could someone tell me about the exams and IAs and so on? I'm starting the diploma in August and have chosen philosophy SL and our teacher hasn't told us anything about the assessment.

• 1 month later...

Phil IA is an essay. You get to choose any subject, sort of, and make a lot of arguments... I think the essay is supposed to be about 1600 words... might be 1600-2000, I've forgotten... I could give you some more info on it later, just got back from the holidays, and I'm not really back into the tracks of the IB yet. But if you have specific questions, shoot, and I'll answer them soon enough. ATM, I'm working on my phill EE.

In my philosophy class, we spend most of our time discussing on big philosophical issues like ethics, identity, truth and human nature. It is usually quite fun. But it gets really boring when we have to read and discuss the works of philosophers like Descartes meditations. It is quite repetitive.yo It feels like he could have written all what he had to say in a few words.