Your Visual Art Theme

lishnaa

My theme is basically on Paths, in the sense of "where life leads us" it's overall very personal ... I don't even need a theme since I'm SL but my teacher is a ... :P

Hey, my topic was on the intricacy of Mechanical forms!

but I couldnt help noticing that you are going to GWU this fall.. SO AM I. I know this is completely off topic but I thought I should share :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello~

I'm was a SL student this year and planning on continuing to HL

My theme was originally The traditional family

Then.. it became Youth in the trad fam

Since I was an asian born and raised kid now living in the US, I thought it would be cool to focus on kids who were born elsewhere and grew up in the US in a non-American conservative family.

But who knows. Now I'd kinda leaning towards Escape from tradition, or something like that. XD

• 4 weeks later...

Mine's Juxtapostion.

Basically just any contrasting ideas about life. I don't really have to force myself into thinking of a subject, the ideas just naturally come.

So far my thematic works include: Science vs. Religion, Human Nature vs. Experiences, Dream vs. Reality, Urban Growth vs. Decay, and Vintage iPod (Vintage vs. Technology)

My theme is death because im TERRIFIED of dying, but im not so sure why. So im investigating as to why im scared of dying and im bringing my culture into it (somehow) because im indian but born and brought up in Zimbabwe. So far it's pretty interesting :rolleyes: oh and im doing higher level :D

• 3 months later...
Guest hellokitty818

I really want to focus on a natural theme like naturalism or just art revolved around nature but i do not know how i can tie that in with internationalism? Anyone have an idea to what i can do about my problem???

I really want to focus on a natural theme like naturalism or just art revolved around nature but i do not know how i can tie that in with internationalism? Anyone have an idea to what i can do about my problem???

heyyy:)

well if you want you can look at both seperately while you're still deciding/figuring out how to combine the both?? It will be quite interesting because then you'll be leading up to something really good! =D just an idea :)

I originally started with dance and then ventured into celebration( See above ^) but the thing is, too much is happening around me these days. My country is in the throes of political revolution, ministers are going to jail by the dozen and in this hubbub I'm finding it extremely difficult to stick to my original theme; it seems too superficial. So is it possible that I just abandon my previous theme and make my art based on personal reaction to all that's happening around me? Or will it be regarded negatively by the examiner?

Edited by Srishti Mehrotra

I originally started with dance and then ventured into celebration( See above ^) but the thing is, too much is happening around me these days. My country is in the throes of political revolution, ministers are going to jail by the dozen and in this hubbub I'm finding it extremely difficult to stick to my original theme; it seems too superficial. So is it possible that I just abandon my previous theme and make my art based on personal reaction to all that's happening around me? Or will it be regarded negatively by the examiner?

Hii there :) well since there is alot going on in India you CAN change your theme, i first started off with Global Culture <trying to fuse all cultures into one> then i realised this is boring and i just suddenly changed to death and emotions. There is nooo problem:) The IB Visual Arts course is meant to help you look at things that you want to, you have total freedom to express yourself, also to find out things about yourself that you didnt know. Also, political art is very good! If done properly, you can score really high marks :)

So, if you're considering changing themes, write about it in your IWB justifying WHY you changed themes and how you hope to go about, maybe 2 pages of this is MORE than enough :)

Good Luck!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest hellokitty818

I changed my theme but I'm not sure yet how to define it exactly.....but I want to focus on something like embracing your native roots...I feel like i can express myself through that theme because it is from my own experience but is that a good theme? Because society can bombard you with a picture of who to be or for me I felt accepted by another race than my own so i rejected my roots but it was hard to fight who i was.

• 2 weeks later...

Wait you need a theme? Do you really need to think of one as of now? Or can you think of one til 12th grade?

So far my works have been about:

1) Literature - archetypes, characterization, ideas within short stories

2) Social Change - the effect of media pressure on future generations, the beauty and fashion industry and its effect on body image

when do you start thinking about a theme?

Well it took me around a month or two to come up with a basic idea of what my theme was gonna be and it sort of grew from there. It's better to pick a theme early but you can spend time until you figure out what you feel really strongly about. The more focused, the better. I don't think a theme is necessary. One of the girls in my class doesn't have one but it helps to have one since it's easier to find a purpose or reason behind it and your art is more likely to have a great concept behind it! :D

I guess you'd be able to pick one in 12th if you would like to! :)

It helps to brainstorm with mindmaps or something. I branched off to feminism from human behaviour. :D

Hope that somewhat helped :3

• 1 month later...

Hi There!

Not sure if anyone still replied to this thread...but here I am.

I am exploring the loss of identity through sins, flaws, vulnerabilities and how they can be redeemed and regained. I have a couple of classmates doing topics such as S&M (Pain) and gender identities. I'm not the creme de la crop but I feel like this will be their downfall, simply because it is so generic and intangible and inaccessible. Maybe the gender identities one would be alright accessibility-wise, but S&M? In a school setting? It sounds interesting and all but I think she crossed the line a bit!

In all honesty, it is crossing the line, although the point of IB is to express yourself. If you have trouble deciding on a theme, my teacher made my do a self portrait thing at first - find my interests. I do a lot of portraits of women in particular so I explored feminism. Perhaps if you find out a subject in specific you enjoy working on , it might help you reach a decision. Maybe combine ideas from other subjects.

Your theme sounds pretty awesome though! :o As long as it has a good context based on strong research and reflection, you should be fine.

Not sure if that helps but I'm quite happy to :)