UK conditional offers

Teddy_The_Bear

Yea, I'm starting this coming September. This year I'm in Pre-IB and it's already tough! But it'll pay off, I'm sure of it. Also, we're the first batch of IB students, only 41 compared to like 1300 people in the school :)

anyways, here's my desierd courses, in ranking order, 1 being wanting the most:

1.)Veterinary Science

2.)Zoology

3.)Wildlife Biology

4.)Marine Biology

5.)Anything to do with animals

dream universities

1.)Cambridge

2.)Imperial (for Zoology)

3.)Royal Vet. College

I mostly like older schools, like cambridge and such, with a..medieval look to them

But i think I might be getting my hopes up :P

My math is poor, but I need to do SL, apparently not enough people want to do math studies to open the course.

Edited by Dr. Polaris

:ban:....if you want to apply for zoology, then you will have to apply to the natural science falcuty. they are not the same courses but during 1st year, everybody from different course in the faculty will study together. we only divide from 2nd year :P

remember to check the online prospectus for th requirement because in some unis they have some specific requirements about your subjects :)

Hey Bassist guy from Belgium, I think I saw you on facebook!

In any case, what you are saying about oxbridge being lax on their offers is news to me; I have always heard that they are very strict and that every year they make more offers than there are places because of this. If what you say is true, then there may still be hope for me, otherwise I can definitely forget about it. 42 777. Im prolly one of those extra offers they made.

Nickel, which college do you have an offer from? Your offer sounds like a typical one from Christ's :P(yeah, they wanted that from me, and I know other people too).

I guess you can't really say that they are lax or that they aren't. I'd say that Oxbridge is a bit more lenient about missing their offers, because they don't give that many more offers per places than other universities as they can be pretty sure that those whom they have given offers will accept it as firm, as most other universities don't know that (for example LSE is very strict about meeting their offers since they give many more offers than they have places).

I can at least comfort you a bit, since I had a similar offer and got 43 and 776 instead of 42 and 777 and they were very fast to accept me anyway.

And bassist, there's no need to brag about being given fast offers or something, it probably doesn't mean that much, the unis tend to say a lot of stuff on their web page (for example KCL saying that they will interview all candidates to whom they give offers, and yet had little problems about giving me an offer before their interviews had even started). In the long run the universities know that it won't make a difference in whether you accept their offer or not if they made it fast.

Let's hope all of you meet your offers, but still remember, each applicant is considered on their own and you always have a chance of being accepted even if you don't meet their offer.

I got an offer from Pembroke College. Didn't really know it was one of the top colleges when I applied. But ye, I'm just hoping I will make the offer, so there is no doubt. Can't do anything about it anymore really, all the exams are almost over. But why does a Cambridge student and IB graduate stick around the IB forums :P? Nostalgia?

I guess I'm just having hard times in moving on :P

Well, actually tbh, I haven't yet started the university since I had a semi-compulsory gap year, due to completing my military service. Since my 9 months of service are now over I'm having a problem of how to fill my free time :D

Yeah, you're right there's not much you can do right now and you shouldn't stress about it.

However, if you happen to fail to meet the conditions I think it is wise to ask your referee or IB coordinator or someone of influence from your school to write to the college (I had my coordinator write). I don't know if it actually helps, but why not.

Also, there's always the summer pool :D

I guess I'm just having hard times in moving on :P

Well, actually tbh, I haven't yet started the university since I had a semi-compulsory gap year, due to completing my military service. Since my 9 months of service are now over I'm having a problem of how to fill my free time :D

Yeah, you're right there's not much you can do right now and you shouldn't stress about it.

However, if you happen to fail to meet the conditions I think it is wise to ask your referee or IB coordinator or someone of influence from your school to write to the college (I had my coordinator write). I don't know if it actually helps, but why not.

Also, there's always the summer pool :D

about the last point. There are some universities who accept that, but some don't. For example, if you failed to meet the offer from Cambridge, you can explain to them with your reference of teachers saying how difficult this year exam was, what might came as one's difficulty and why it should be understood. But Oxford does not accept that; you simply have to wait until A-level results come out.

However, I agree with you that Oxbridge are a bit lenient about their conditions and their fulfilment. As long as you are taken from the interview, according to my teacher, they 'want' to take you. We had this girl who got an offer from Oxford reading Classics, and she did get in even though she was 2 points away from what they asked her.

• 1 year later...

I got an offer from Imperial of 39 points but they want a 7 in Math HL, I know I can get a 6. But I'm really concerned about whether or not they'll still accept me if I don't manage that 7. I've been told Imperial is very strict?

first of all congrats! that's quite a low offer by Imperial btw, which course is this for? they must like you so much! anyway, yes of course you'll be rejected if you don't meet your offer conditions. a place at Imperial is too competitive, a 39 is already very low for them so if you're not getting what they want then they won't admit you.

• 2 weeks later...

I got an offer from Imperial of 39 points but they want a 7 in Math HL, I know I can get a 6. But I'm really concerned about whether or not they'll still accept me if I don't manage that 7. I've been told Imperial is very strict?

first of all congrats! that's quite a low offer by Imperial btw, which course is this for? they must like you so much! anyway, yes of course you'll be rejected if you don't meet your offer conditions. a place at Imperial is too competitive, a 39 is already very low for them so if you're not getting what they want then they won't admit you.

Imperial is not that strict. Whether or not he will be accepted (even if he doesn't meet the entry requirements) depends on how well the rest of the offer holders have done on their final exams. My classmate had an offer by Imperial for Computer Science asking him to get 41/45, 7 in Maths and Physics but he got 6 in Maths and 40/45 yet he was still accepted - and now studies there. You can never be sure even though the chances of being admitted without getting the required scores are slim.