How many points in order to pass maths sl?

eoclevin

Hi Everyone,

I'm doing some past papers in Maths SL and was wondering how many points I should get in them in order to "pass" (get 4, that is)? I'm quite nervous and I just want to pass. I'm not aiming at 7.

Hope you guys can help even though it's hard to tell (with the boundaries and all). I just need an indication that I'm doing alright!

Well, you can get a 3 in one subject and a 5 in another.. it just all has to add up to at least 24 points.

Plus, if you are taking 3 HL then the total of HL must be 12, if you are taking 4 HL then 16.. and so on.

Edited by Peachez
  • Like 1

@Abbo: I thought we have to get at least 4 in every subject in order to get a total of 24, which is the "passing" mark... :sadnod:

This:

Well, you can get a 3 in one subject and a 5 in another.. it just all has to add up to at least 24 points.

Plus, if you are taking 3 HL then the total of HL must be 12, if you are taking 4 HL then 16.. and so on.

Which is why I said:

but there are stipulations to getting the diploma, you can only have one 2 or something.

I can't find the bit in the Handbook of procedures that states all the stipulations.

HAHA ok :sadnod:

Thank you for the clarification

Thanks for your reply guys. But what I was asking for was how many points should I get in the respective papers (Maths paper one+two) in order to pass my Maths SL only. I am retaking maths as I didn't pass it last time (and I already got a 3 in physics). My other grades are fine, though.

Check out the Grade Boundaries thread on the General IB Discussion Board

The best you can do is look at the boundaries for past exams and estimate what the rough boundary is from there. Of course as none of that will help you do better in the exam, if your exam is May 2010, my advice is to just do as many practice questions and papers as you can instead of working out a hypothetical mark. It's not going to be helpful or improve your overall grade to know what kind of a mark means what grade!

Good luck :sadnod:

• Like 1

I believe it changes depending on which test you are taking. Once you calculate the Total Marks for Section A and B you just take it out of 7 I think, like a 40/70 would be a 4, passing.

EDIT: opps nevermind :sadnod:

Edited by 2401 I Hate Tangents

Thanks, Sandwhich. I've seen the boundaries for the last two-three years before, but I thought there would be some kind of informal indicator of how your grade would "turn" if you get a certain amount of points in the papers. Or, say, I get app. 50% of the papers right, would that be a pass (excluding the boundary info etc.)?

But, yeah, I do see the fact that one cannot estimate these things...

I'm doing lots of past papers, yes. :sadnod:

May I ask as simple question? According to the grade boundaries that I saw from 2009 for Maths HL(I know that they can vary) (1) is 0-12; (2) is 13-25; (3) is 26-37...etc. Does this mean that from the 20% internal; 30% p1; 30% p2 and 20% p3, my grade will be determined according to a similar scale, depending on the percentage from the 3 papers and the internal? For instance, if I had a total percentage of 35%, I would have 3 as a final grade?

Check out the Grade Boundaries thread on the General IB Discussion Board

The best you can do is look at the boundaries for past exams and estimate what the rough boundary is from there. Of course as none of that will help you do better in the exam, if your exam is May 2010, my advice is to just do as many practice questions and papers as you can instead of working out a hypothetical mark. It's not going to be helpful or improve your overall grade to know what kind of a mark means what grade!

Good luck ;)

Are these boundaries correct? How much they can deviate?

Are these boundaries correct? How much they can deviate?

It depends on the test. A hard test might have lower boundaries and vice versa. But usually only one mark or so.

Edit:

Actually I just realized that the chemistry HL P3 TZ1 required 37 points for a 7, M09 TZ2 wanted as much as 40 points, and the November test only 36.

So apparently it varies more than I thought.

Edited by Tilia