What's the hardest and easiest HL Maths option?

scstdnt

it genuinely does. But the difference is that the series and diff eq. and statistics option questions are fairly predictable (one chi square, one expectation algebra, one hypothesis tests in stats, and one homogeneous, one impossible limit comparison tests, and one easy L'hopital's in S&D), while sets and relations and groups, discrete maths are hard to predict which to come. but Sets and relations are really hard to get as it goes down to the purest part (yet the most fun and applicable) of maths!

It also depends on the exam year. Some years Series was nearly impossible but in May 2009 it was surprisingly easy while Stats was somewhat harder. That's why IB has recently introduced SEPARATE grade boundaries based on the option you write in Math HL - so there isn't a disadvantage based on an option being more difficult one year. So it depends more on interest. If you plan on going into engineering in university then definately series and diff eqns is the best option to take.

Easiest: Series and diff. Eq because you simply needs to practice to apply the equations.

Hardest: Sets, Relations and Groups because it's really just pure mathematics, I saw people start learning it in 2nd or 3rd year university math.(Or course they learn it deeper) My math teacher chose it simply because it's the easiest topic to teach. Anyone can teach it without understanding it.

Discrete can be hard to some ppl because it's like logically thinking.(Not implying anything.)

• 2 months later...

Haha, tdubthebassist says series and diff. equations is the easiest, and i hate tangents says its the hardest.

I guess it really depends on the person

I does not depend on the person but on the teacher teaching the option (:

We are doing series and differential equations because our teacher loves this chapter and he knows it very well. I heard that the other math HL class at my school is doing statistics & probs, but from what I know series & differential equations is NOT the hardest.

It all depends on what you like, and it is therefor very hard for me to say which topic is easy or hard, because that might not be applicable to you. I know I would never even think of doing the Stats and Probability topic, simply because I hate it. Discrete Maths, is the one we did, and I found it very fun. The sets option introduces a lot of new and abstract mathematics, which is always interesting. The series and differentials option is quite foreign to me.

Bottom line is; Don't go with the easiest option, because there isn't one. Go for the one you think will be the most enjoyable, because that will make things a lot easier.

I agree with cornflake, go with the option you'll enjoy the most, and preferably one that you actually understand. You'll be that much more motivated to study, and therefore get a higher mark on the HL exam.

Former IB students from my school said that discrete mathematics is the easiest, but not necessarily.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...