Self-Taught HL Psychology?

elmar

You can't do HL self-taught and you can't do 2 self-taughts either , just to let you know.

Would this not just depend on your school's own regulations re: what they're willing to let you do? I wasn't aware the IB knew whether or not you'd self-taught a subject or not. At least, if they are meant to know, I have some complaining to do about the amount of stuff we had to self-teach!! xP

What I would say is that to my knowledge, Psychology is quite a lot to do with the manner of approach. Ideally you'd want at least some coaching and direction so you know you're taking the right sort of slant on things. I don't know if it's significant enough to discourage you -- I mean I didn't take Psychology! -- but certain aspects like the advice they give to people wanting to do a Psychology EE suggest that the approach is very important. So it's something to bear in mind :D

Finally, whether they want you to have studied Psychology or not does depend slightly on where you apply. This is only for places in the UK that I can speak with any knowledge, but some Universities prefer you not to have done any Psychology before -- they'd rather you had a good foundation in other subjects than had done a simplified course in Psychology for 2 years. Or so I've been told!

It's an IB rule that you cannot do a HL self-taught that's why for instance your only allowed to Language A1 self taught standard. I also wanted to do Italian B HL self taught but it is not permitted. I guess you could arrange to officially 'claim' to do it in class but in theory the IB doesn't allow it.

• 4 weeks later...

Am I insane for even considering it?

I'd like to major in Psychology in uni and the idea of taking HL History like the rest of my IB class following my AP World History class is enough to drive me off a wall.

To be honest, I think you can. My teacher has been pretty useless, only really giving us resources. We've had to teach ourselves.

So I think that if you do have the right resources, like textbooks and things - and I think this is very important - then I'd say yeah you can probably teach yourself.