(self taught) The Perfume + The Picture of Dorian Gray

bLub

Hi there,

basically, my oral presentation is at the end of April. I'm doing self taught (German) and I started writing the presentation on 2 books (the perfume and the picture of Dorian Gray) presenting the theme of obsession. However, now a friend of mine, who has studied literature, said, that obsession isn't a good theme to pick (it's hard to define what obsession is...). But I've already written so much on it (I mostly flicked through and picked out every bits that are connected with obsession...) and don't want to start it all over again. What do you think??

are you another self-taught student as well? have you already had your oral? Was it hard...?

Thank you so much for your help!!

Edited by bLub

I do self-taught and I'm only in year 12 so haven't done my oral nor read the books. You do know for your presentation you need to talk about 3 works.

I'm going to do perfume for my part 4 too, I love the story. Anyway, I think the theme on obsessions is great, ignore your friend. As long as you can reference and give concrete examples from your works denoting well drawn examples of obsession than your more than alright. In fact if it's something that may seem intricate like 'obsession' it is a plus since it shows you can talk about things less tangible and as a result your originality is present.

What's your 3rd book?

I agree with Sandwich. You have to compare at least two works. So you can do three [or four, if I remember correctly] but my teacher definitely recommended 2 or 3 so that we could go more in depth.

My teacher also warned against talking about themes. This was just to get us away from superficiality so that we could analyze more critically. Plus a theme is really broad. So if you present your theme in different light and focus your topic, I guess you'll be fine =) G'luck.

Edit: I did mine on two works. I loved it! This might have been my favorite IA across all subjects. I did an informal lecture type thing, and I wrote out what I wanted to say and read over it and tweaked it til I was fairly comfortable with the material. It took about 3 good days.

Edited by sweetnsimple786

Well, in the "New self-taught oral procedures, first examinations may 2010" it says about the presentation: for this section, 3 works are studied (my 3rd one is "Woyzeck" - :) :) ).... the student prepares notes for an oral presentation on 2 of the 3 works studied... the presentation should take the form of a discussion of two works (WHAT DO THEY MEAN WITH DISCUSSION??? do I have to compare them, i.e. say how differently obsession is represented in the 2 books??)

• 3 weeks later...

Mine is in 2 days and I'm freaking out. I just chose my theme for the Part 4 oral - or the idea that I want to discuss. But now my question is, how do I lay out this oral? Do I just say "yeah so this is the difference as you can see in these quotes" etc? What else do I need to say?

• 10 months later...

I take self-taught and my IOC&IOP are coming up this week.
According to the New self-taught oral procedures for May 2010, IOP is a discussion of 2 of 3 books from Part 4.
And for IOP you have to clearly define your thesis in the beginning,, and remind the thesis in between when you start talking ..
I have a question about IOC.. did you guys whose session is May 2011 take the questions of IOC from the procedure for May 2010?
I'm wondering if the questions are different for this year from last year..

• 1 month later...

Hello fellow IBers,

I am still in my first year but we have already done a few IAs and my oral, I'm working on "The Perfume" from Suskind. However, we weren't told to compared two of the 3 or 4 novels... should I be worried? I mean, most of us only took one aspect of a book of our choice (IB books we've read) and analyzed in depth (some on the surface, which was not what they were supposed to do) the aspect tha they chose. Some chose to analyze a segment in their novel/play and others chose a main theme. I am doing mine on the comparison of the protagonist Grenouille to a tick. (Suggestions on different paths to explore are greatly appreciated... I have the standards ones ready to go).

If I should be worried, then I will tell my teacher (first year IB teacher-- it's HL too!) about it. We have "time" to do another one, since this is still our first year...

[quote name='egr12resa' timestamp='1303511840' post='111240']
Hello fellow IBers,

I am still in my first year but we have already done a few IAs and my oral, I'm working on "The Perfume" from Suskind. However, we weren't told to compared two of the 3 or 4 novels... should I be worried? I mean, most of us only took one aspect of a book of our choice (IB books we've read) and analyzed in depth (some on the surface, which was not what they were supposed to do) the aspect tha they chose. Some chose to analyze a segment in their novel/play and others chose a main theme. I am doing mine on the comparison of the protagonist Grenouille to a tick. (Suggestions on different paths to explore are greatly appreciated... I have the standards ones ready to go).

If I should be worried, then I will tell my teacher (first year IB teacher-- it's HL too!) about it. We have "time" to do another one, since this is still our first year...
[/quote]

You can do a comparison of two/three books if you want but it's also fine to do an IOP on an element/theme in one book. Don't be worried, doing one book is perfectly fine. I also only did one book for my IOP :P

• Like 1