CAS Activities

Hello all,

I was wondering as to whether any one had any ideas for a form of 'action'- I am awfully uncoordinated, I couldn't play for a team (oh, I tried- but it went dreadfully)...hence, I wondering if there is anything aside from engaging in some form of physical activity that could count for action. Each time I speak to my coordinator she merely suggests playing a sport :yes:

Thank- you,

Pathos

If playing a sport didn't work out, you could always work out like on a treadmeel or at a weight center or soemthing. Orindividual physical activity like running in the morning or with someone. You could also try something you may like, like maybe drag racing or kayaking or something, that would probally count

Why not try something which requires minimal physical movement, such as a 'clean up' initiative. I know that in Australia, we have 'Clean Up Australia day' and I'm pretty sure it counts as Action as well as Service. Also, if you organise something like that, then you could include Creativity as well! :yes:

I concur about the fitness gym; you could fill up tons of self-development evidence entries with learning to use the new equipment. You could do 'softer' more hobbyist activities too. I have hiking down as an Action activity and it's mostly just walking up and down the mountain trails (though there are harder bits with steeper and rockier paths, which you can always avoid by choosing easier trails).

Well, since CAS supports students to do something they haven't done before - i.e. to challenge themselves, it would actually be a good idea for you to do some sports!? :yes: you could for example go swimming - it's not a team-thingi, you can do it for yourself, in your own tempo. And maybe you can find a pool which also has a sauna or something, so afterwards you could relaaaaxxx :P

or... what about cycling? you could just cycle to school now and then? that would make you wide awake in the morning :P

Although I agree with everybody else that the easiest way to get rid of action if you're not good at sports is to just do fitness sports (running machine, cycling machine, crosstrainer etc.) or solo swimming, I feel I should point out that even things like Yoga count as action. Or you can find the mildest activities class at your local gym and just sign up for it. I know here we have the "early morning workout" which is about as strenuous as your average walk, and vaguely entertaining because the activities keep changing. Action can be incredibly non-hardcore this way!

The big thing you need to find out is how your CAS coordinator deals with things -- do they like to have very official documentation? In which case going running by yourself at the weekends is probably out and you should aim for something -anything- with an instructor.

even things like Yoga count as action.

^ Precisely. You can sign up for activities that are ridiculously easy but they'd still count as Action hours. Also remember that you don't have to sign up for very many activities; a few hours a week from now on should build up to about just enough hours to satisfy the requirements and will give you plenty of Evidence space to write about your personal development and new skills. You could also do more frequent (but not necessarily more strenuous) activities over the summer so you don't have to worry so much about it in your final year.

Go to the gym on a regular basis, or join yoga if you are interested. Or go running on a schedulae, or with a club (or make your own club). It doesn't have to be a team, but you could join a beginners sport thing where you dont have to compete. Maybe start martial arts! It isn't as hard as you think!