Suggestions to make the site more friendly!

Taigan

Hello. :P

I'm relatively new to this forum, however, when I first registered I was kind of put off at first because of the vastness of the site. There are so many forums and posts that maybe someone new wouldn't know where to start. Therefore, why don't the IBS send a "Beginner's Guide" (using e-mail) to the new users, stating where they could get started, where they could introduce themselves etc. The IBS does have access to e-mail addresses of the users, right?

The guide can be made very friendly and stuff (maybe include an example of one of the more entertaining threads or a screenshot of the arcade). It would state all the basic rules and stuff as well. That way, new users would know not to post spam and stuff. Also, you could talk about all the positive things about the site and include quotes from the users.

I think this would encourage users not to lurk. It would also draw more people in and is great to advertise aspects of the site that may not be noticed when someone immediately registers. :P

What do you think?

Is this not already in existance? I received a PM to exactly this effect when I joined up! :P Did you not receive one?

Hi Sandwich,

Welcome to IB Survival!

Regardless of whether you're a current IB student or thinking of doing IB in the future, you've come to the right place. Even if you're a past IB student, you're more than welcome here as well, since current and future students will definitely benefit from any advice and experience you can pass on.

The purpose of IB Survival is not only a place where IB students, past, present and future can interact with each other, it is also a place where we can help each other, not only to survive, but thrive in what could be the two most stressful years of your lives so far: the years of the International Baccalaureate.

There are many resources available to IB students here at IB Survival. We have downloadable notes on a variety of subject and topic areas, as well as sample works from past IB students. Also, more importantly, we are here to offer you support and friendly advice through your IB years. Our IB alumni members are more than happy to share their IB experience with you and answer any question you may have about this programme.

To make your time at IBSurvival more comfortable, we advise you read the Rules before you post. Please be aware that spamming will not be tolerated and will be strictly dealt with. The FAQ also answers some common question about site functions (such as file download, upload and contacting administrators) so it would be helpful to have a look through as well.

Feel free to look around and get acquainted with the forum and other members. Tell us about yourself here, in Who Are You?. Liven up General Discussion with talks on interesting topics around you or just relax in Chat. You can also get right into talking about IB in General IB Discussion or other subject specific forums.

If you have any enquiries or suggestions for the site, don't hesitate to let us know through the About forum.

Have fun! :P

Together, we shall survive!

Best regards,

The IB Survival Team.

• Like 1

I do not think that I recieved such a message when I joned. Oh well, I am pretty good with such things so it was not a problem for me to find my way around the site. Although, I think it is a good idea to send out such messages for new members, to make them feel more welcome here.

I think the idea of the arcade is also really great. IB can be really stressful so having something like that nearby can be great. It gives the site an advantage over other help sites that do not have arcades or other fun stuff. Also, it would obviously draw more users to the site. I can only see it as a bonus. The only problem is that it can be a distraction, but with the IB, distractions are usually welcomed. :P

• 7 months later...

This is actually so funny. I was about to make a thread about how amazingly friendly and welcoming everyone is on here.

On this other forum I go on, 90% of you would be brutally insulted and ridiculed in public from your first few posts. The mods would proceed to stamp little warnings on everyone's posts and send you a little explanation on how people don't like you. Many people would then assault you with multiple pms telling you how much you suck. Unable to acclimatize yourself through the fine mist of hate you would undoubtedly step on a few toes and no one would explain anything to you. Hate would continue. FOREVER. And this is after the recent sweeping reform. I wasn't around to experience its darker years.

D:<

Lol it's not really that bad, but frankly I think you guys have nailed "friendly". I was actually experiencing culture shock when I started posting here. At first I was like "look at this mess. Look at these guys posting as if this is MSN or something. Look at this guy with his 5+ flirty threads". But you know what, I kinda like it. This is a really good environment you got going on here.

• Like 2

I doubt it. Haha I think Graeme took it off partly because it took up too much resources. I wouldn't want the arcade back. Elsa would never get out of there :blink:

Couldn't you technically make a media link with a flash player to a game site like miniclip or something to free server space, and make a basic script do the high scores? Or is that what IP Board already does? The arcade sounds cool btw :D

I doubt it. Haha I think Graeme took it off partly because it took up too much resources. I wouldn't want the arcade back. Elsa would never get out of there :blink:

Couldn't you technically make a media link with a flash player to a game site like miniclip or something to free server space, and make a basic script do the high scores? Or is that what IP Board already does? The arcade sounds cool btw :D

Hell no, that's crazy! It would be too distracting, this would just become an 'all thing' website which would change the whole purpose of it.

It sounds very fun, but hell, I would stop touching pens! LOL

This is actually so funny. I was about to make a thread about how amazingly friendly and welcoming everyone is on here.

On this other forum I go on, 90% of you would be brutally insulted and ridiculed in public from your first few posts. The mods would proceed to stamp little warnings on everyone's posts and send you a little explanation on how people don't like you. Many people would then assault you with multiple pms telling you how much you suck. Unable to acclimatize yourself through the fine mist of hate you would undoubtedly step on a few toes and no one would explain anything to you. Hate would continue. FOREVER. And this is after the recent sweeping reform. I wasn't around to experience its darker years.

D:<

Lol it's not really that bad, but frankly I think you guys have nailed "friendly". I was actually experiencing culture shock when I started posting here. At first I was like "look at this mess. Look at these guys posting as if this is MSN or something. Look at this guy with his 5+ flirty threads". But you know what, I kinda like it. This is a really good environment you got going on here.

We are glad you liked this forum, and more importantly found it a good environment for IB students. :blink: Welcome to IBS

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...