Theory of Knowledge: The Verdict

Caitlin

Theory of Knowledge: The People Speak Out  

618 members have voted

1. 1. You think Theory of Knowledge is...

• A stroke of genius. Aristotle is kicking himself for being born a few millenia too early to experience the awesomeness that is TOK.
    • Like sugar on strawberries. It's kinda superfluous, but you like it anyway.
    • Watching a monkey groom itself < TOK < Monster trucks!
    • On a scale of 1 to lame? It's pretty lame.
    • The closest any breathing human being has ever come to proving the existence of Hell on Earth.

Guest cl0ckw0rk0range
I just wanted to see what the general consensus around here was regarding the IB's 6 and a halfth subject - Theory of Knowledge. ^_^ I know it has some fans, while others would rather stab themselves repeatedly in the foot 1600 times than write a 1600 word essay about how the Ways of Knowing tell them that the aforementioned activity would be very painful.

So - tell us what you think, TOK: yay or nay?

nay - well i guess it depends on the teacher. last year was definitely, waaay beyond NAY.

this year its still nay, but more closer to neutral than completely waay beyond being nay

am i making any sence?

seee - the thing with tok is that you debate, state your opnion (with exames of course) and move on.

there is not definite solution. some people are ok with that. but after debating for so long i just destepreately WANT a resolution.

its agonizing pain when the answer is "ok. thats nice to know. well thats YOUR opnion. bla bla bla (insert name) has a point too and so do you."

its like.. what was all that debating FOR?

besides, people at my schol dont really take tok seriosly

its always the same 5 people expressing their opnion. maybe 1/3 at best of students listening and nodding/disagreeing etc

and the other 2/3 just sleeping, staring at the clock, mkaing funny faces to each other, passing notes etc.

oh sorry one more thing:

id personally like to know waht the "Like sugar on strawberries. It's kinda superfluous, but you like it anyway." people think.

i mean.. tok is NOT easy. some say that all you have to do is bs, but tok is reallly really difficult for me.

any tips for people like me, for all who clicked "Like sugar on strawberries. It's kinda superfluous, but you like it anyway."?????

• 2 weeks later...
Guest charlesvoncharles

Sugar on Strawberries

I don't really mind it, but it is definitely closer to amateur philosophy than anything else. Reading a few books provides the same benefit. GEB has ensured that I'll never have to seriously pay attention to the discussion.

haha easy points, is all i can say. Actually i'm really enjoying the class, of right now, since they do alot of hands on stuff and thinking. I love it, honestly we're having our first real TOK experience this week with this whole day of the rope course on weds, and it should be a blast. It's great seeing all my mates as well too.

• 1 month later...
Guest sour_rous

I'm an IBer from Spain and I'm really enjoying TOK! We have a very interesting teacher which makes us feel much closer to all those "know-it-all" thinkers and who makes us think. Sometimes it's kind of desparating :lol::sadnod: But when you're done with your essay it's sooo satisfactory ;):D

I hope you have luck with yopur TOK teachers!

Like sugar on strawberries. It's kinda superfluous, but you like it anyway. :rolleyes: my teacher is really good but sometimes is just boring because he is taking this subject TOO serious :D

Same here. We have to get up and go to school two hours early tomorrow just to have a TOK class that we didn't have before. The only thing any of us can say is, "Why can't we just not have one class?"

Though I like it, in a way. In our class what we do is debate on all of our opinions. So we basically spend the whole session arguing. :P

Guest bobkakabobkaka

its cool for the first week, then everything gets repetitive, i guess it depends on your teacher.

overall, if tok was taken over both years it would be nice, at my school we have to split it with french, and that sucks

if tok replaced french that would be awesome

As I'm not in the real IB yet, but in a pre-DP class I gotta tell what is seems to be for me; A stroke of genius.

Also, I have to give this one out.. What is ToK - really? XD

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Our TOK class is the last class on Monday afternoons after a long lunch break. It's always good to chill and listen to other people's thoughts that have absolutely no effect on my own. It's a class where the teachers are slack, the students are cool and where you can mock the class retard without getting told off. *Because in TOK, all views are considered...