Remarking IB Papers

emjay

Hey,

With science subjects, isnt it unlikely that grade boundaries would not change as most science questions are yes or no questions?

makes you think is there any point in remarkin your science subjects.

I went up a level (6 to 7) in Physics SL last year....in total I went up by 7 marks combined in P2 and P3. So theres always a chance.

Edited by master135
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Also, I'm pretty sure that your math mark won't change much if you choose to remark it. The point is that it is very exact and only subjects like languages and the humanities will probably change if you remark. Obviously, wait until the breakdowns come out, otherwise there is a chance that your grades may go down and you really do not want that.

I just received my component grades (and my Diploma!) yesterday, and found out that I'm ridiculously close to sevens in both French and Chemistry. Now, I'm definitely going to have French remarked, but how likely is it that a science grade is raised? I did Chemistry SL and my points are as follows:

Paper 1: 29 (27 for 7)

Paper 2: 41 (39 for 7)

Paper 3: 26 (26 for 7)

Portfolio: 29 (39 for 7; 34 for 6)

Total (with scaling factors): 75,67 (77 for 7)

It feels quite unfair that I get a 6 just because of my portfolio, especially as I know that they didn't look at mine in particular. They actually only moderated two portfolios from our group; the rest were from the HL groups. Considering that they won't look at Internals when remarking, is it worth it having them look at it?

(Also, sorry if this is somehow in the wrong place. I thought keeping all remarking questions in one place would be good.)

I'd say give it a go. One of the reasons remarking this year is "dangerous" is because the grades can go down, although, it is highly unlikely that your grade could decrease as far to a 5 as you're so close to the border for a 7. Also, there is more of a chance (as compared to maths) to get more marks however, it is still pretty difficult. I'd still give it a chance, though, because you're so close.

Hope this helps :D

Edited by Taigan

I was going to get my Chem remarked as I wasn't off by much, but my problem was my portfolio too (got moderated down two whole grades D8), and the advice I got from the school was to not bother, as they've never had a science remark actually change the grade.

On the other hand, I got my language B paper remarked and it did indeed go up :) Essays etc. are very subjective like that. So I'd definitely go for your French if you are on the boundary, you've nothing to lose. Chem might be a waste of money, though :D

If you are only off by 2 for chemistry it can be worth it - is there any exam paper where you feel you got a lower mark than you should have (only paper 2 and 3 get remarked)? I went up by a total of 7 marks in a physics SL remark (combined paper 2 and 3) from a level 6 to 7. So don't just overlook it because its a 'science course'

Edited by Aboo
No text speak

I have a question so I'm going to hijack this thread because if I do make my own it'll be called the exact same thing!

OK, I know that some subjects have more chances to get extra marks after remarking than in other subjects. So I was wondering about language B subjects? What are the chances their marks will change???

When someone asks about languages my response is that the marking process is very subjective, however, with much of the language B subjects, the marking process is very exact; hence my hesitation with it.

What does everyone else think???

Language B in general is a lot less subjective than Language A1. First off, the paper 1 markscheme for language B is VERY clear - even more clear cut than math markschemes IMO...so basically the only reason a paper 1 mark would increase should be an error in addition in most cases. Paper 2, although an essay-like structure, is still not too subjective. This is because language B focuses more on the language, format, grammer etc. rather than content - only 10 marks of the 30 are designated for content/message, the other 20 are for language, format, etc. Hope that helps..

Edited by master135

Taigan,

On the other hand, I got my language B paper remarked and it did indeed go up Essays etc. are very subjective like that

If it's 1 or 2 marks, you stand a chance. P1 will not go up unless your examiner has the IQ of a chimp, but P2 could go up a bit.

Moreover, what people fail to understand about IB marking is that examiners themselves go through moderation that is very similar to IA moderation. In effect, even if your paper has deserved a 27/30, it could go down to 25/30 because of moderation if the examiner has been too lenient with other candidates. In other words, your first examiner might have given you the "right" grade in the beginning, but if it's been moderated down due to others' grades, a remark will get you back on your "right" level.

• Like 1

Taigan,

On the other hand, I got my language B paper remarked and it did indeed go up Essays etc. are very subjective like that

If it's 1 or 2 marks, you stand a chance. P1 will not go up unless your examiner has the IQ of a chimp, but P2 could go up a bit.

Moreover, what people fail to understand about IB marking is that examiners themselves go through moderation that is very similar to IA moderation. In effect, even if your paper has deserved a 27/30, it could go down to 25/30 because of moderation if the examiner has been too lenient with other candidates. In other words, your first examiner might have given you the "right" grade in the beginning, but if it's been moderated down due to others' grades, a remark will get you back on your "right" level.

Yup, what deissi said is very true, and is another unfair side of IB which most people dont know about. As a result of these moderations the mark of an exam and IAs (even straightforward exams like math or language B paper 1) is usually recorded to 30 decimal places by IB. Because of this very reason a person in my school didnt get a level 6 in French despite calculating his mark to be above the 6 boundary. It turned out he was off by a few decimal places when he found out his marks to 2 decimal place s. I think Sandwich (sorry if I am wrong) faced a similar situation on her language B..

Edited by master135

• 2 weeks later...

It depends which papers you would like to remark. Basically the first paper is multiple choice so you definitely cannot het a higher score there, but the free-responce questions are better because they give you more so called 'wiggle room.' Basically I would say that it is possible to get a higher grade in sciences, but only if you are 100% sure that you deserve a higher grade.

I definately think get a remark if you are close to going up a grade. That said, it's not a good feeling getting a result back after a remark and being told it's got up but not enough to change the grade. I got my German Ab Initio exams remarked as I was unhappy with my result. While the grade didn't change, I found closure because I then knew I had tried everything I could to do as well as possibly.

Also, my remark took one week, which was rather fast I thought. It cost me $130 AUD.

But yeah, I think definately try, as it might work out for the best! But don't do it if you are on a low 5 or 6 or whatever. make sure you are up the high end of the boundary ;)

• 3 years later...

I'm one mark off a 6 in Maths HL (May 2013) session. I really want a 6 but I don't really need it for uni. Plus it's maths and it's a lot less subjective than science which is already not very subjective. Should I go for it?

Also, is the £108 just for one paper or all three papers?

I'm one mark off a 6 in Maths HL (May 2013) session. I really want a 6 but I don't really need it for uni. Plus it's maths and it's a lot less subjective than science which is already not very subjective. Should I go for it?

All of them, but not the IA (and you can't chose to remark only P2, you ARE going to be remarked on all three papers).

All of them, but not the IA (and you can't chose to remark only P2, you ARE going to be remarked on all three papers).

Got it. Thanks.

• 9 years later...

Hello everyone. 

I have just received my IB results, and I was not rewarded the DP diploma due to my lack of points in my HL subjects. 

I am currently 1 point away from a 4 in Physics, and that's the key for me to pass right now (since I have 11 points for all my HL subjects and the minimum for the HL subjects is 12 points)

Do you think it's worth it to request for a remark in this case?

Thank you for helping me out!

PS: I need this pass since my university will need me to provide the DP certificate.