Safari 4 vs. Firefox 3.5 for windows

bohemian03

Safari 4 vs. Firefox 3.5 for windows  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Which browser do you prefer for Windows?

• Safari 4
    • Firefox 3.5

Personally, I prefer using Safari in terms of the options you have and the way it formats everything, but at the end of the day Safari is far less reliable. Mine keeps freezing up and losing everything I was doing :/

Firefox is relatively extremely reliable, almost without fault. Very, very rarely does it need to close itself down, and that's the most important thing at the end of the day for me!

Firefox for the win. PC vs Mac really. Have you seen the methaphor sotry how Mac is like a little trycicle easy to master but the delights don't go beyond your pleasure but then the pc a super motorbike which can be tricky to handle but once it is handled it can do wonders XD.

Obviously an internet browser is not very hard to master but you see my point. Go for firefox. Afterall I'm a pc, so are you. :(

Edited by Bishup

I would go for Firefox anyday, I've grown to love all the awesome addons that you install for it, really makes it stand out from other browsers. I haven't tried Safari 4 but from what I've read, it supposedly renders stuff the fastest so I guess if you don't care about addons, then Safari is worth a try, I know my sister uses it, but meh, I don't like it too much.

As for Firefox 3.5, I would upgrade from 3.0.10 but when I tried, it seems that half my addons were incompatible XD What a shame, it seems to render stuff faster, but I guess it'll be worth the wait!

I use a Mac and I have both Safari and Firefox. In the end, they both work fine for me. I haven't installed many add ons on my Firefox, and the addons that I did install I hardly ever use, so I really don't feel that there's a huge difference between both browsers. They both let me browse the Internet and open multiple tabs in a single window. That's all I really need to do. I can't really answer which browser I prefer for Windows, but on my Mac I use Safari all the time.

If I were to talk about Windows specifically, then whenever I've used a Windows computer I always used Firefox and never had any problems, however I've never had the chance to use Safari on Windows, so I can't say if it's good or not.

Firefox for the win. PC vs Mac really. Have you seen the methaphor sotry how Mac is like a little trycicle easy to master but the delights don't go beyond your pleasure but then the pc a super motorbike which can be tricky to handle but once it is handled it can do wonders XD.

Obviously an internet browser is not very hard to master but you see my point. Go for firefox. Afterall I'm a pc, so are you. :(

What you mean to say is: "Windows vs Mac", since PC actually stands for "Personal Computer", meaning that a computer that runs on a macintosh operating system is also a PC. Still, Firefox isn't developed by Microsoft, so comparing Firefox with Safari isn't really comparing Windows with Mac.

Edited by Redstar

Firefox on my mac feels way too clunky and goofy. I only use it for internet banking and a couple of sites that aren't Safari compatiable. After all Safari is native to the Mac and native software works best.

On a Windows machine, I'd rather use Firefox.

Oh and Bishup, I've been using Windows since I was 5. I'm choosing the mac beacuse it's way more aesthetically pleasing, ****s up less often and it isn't Windows. Windows is for the majority.

haha Aboo, Windows is for the majority, nice.

I would choose Safari 4. Run the Acid 3 test on all the browsers and see why. Just visit this site with each of your browsers: Acid 3 Test. The higher the score the better.

The perfect score of Safari is why I chose to use it for my desktop. For my Asus Eee laptop, it can't handle the massive RAM attack of the Safari. So I use Google Chrome since it takes the least amount of RAM compared to FF and Safari. Its starting time is almost instant for me, no joke. I also found Chrome has the best download manager out of the 3. Very cool.

Personally I prefer Firefox.

I am currently using a mac, and in my home we have 2 macs and 1 pc. I think for all of them, we use firefox.

Firefox simply feels a bit more normal in my opinion.

Since Safari is more tailored towards macs, but Firefox can be used by anyone, I think this is a reason firefox is better.

Also, whenever I run downloads, they seem to run better on firefox than they do on Safari.

Safari also doesn't run flash games as well as firefox does.

Firefox is just sweet.

haha Aboo, Windows is for the majority, nice.

I would choose Safari 4. Run the Acid 3 test on all the browsers and see why. Just visit this site with each of your browsers: Acid 3 Test. The higher the score the better.

The perfect score of Safari is why I chose to use it for my desktop. For my Asus Eee laptop, it can't handle the massive RAM attack of the Safari. So I use Google Chrome since it takes the least amount of RAM compared to FF and Safari. Its starting time is almost instant for me, no joke. I also found Chrome has the best download manager out of the 3. Very cool.

Do you happen to know why it is that some browsers suck at that Acid Test? Like what it actually tests for? I just tried it with the latest version of Firefox, as it's the only thing my computer will run, and it only managed a 71/100. I'm curious to know what the crucial differences are!

You can check Wikipedia, it lists the standards that Acid3 tests for. As for why browsers suck, in my opinion, it's the test's fault, I'm not saying it sucks or that it doesn't mean anything, just that it's supposed to test for standards and at the same time it's testing for stuff that aren't standard yet. Other than that, I think the test is more for devs and the browser's dev teams since Firefox seems to be adhering to more standards, especially the less common ones recently while others have really improved, just look at Webkit's scores. Of course, all this does eventually means less of a headache for web developers and in the end, we get a better browser so I don't care XD

Edited by TidusBlade

Safari is nice to use, but Firefox is by far the best to me. It's not only safe in itself, but you also have the option of downloading add-ons that make your web experience even safer (eg. NoScript or Adblock). You can customize its appearance and functionality in a myriad of ways.

• 4 weeks later...

I've never tried Google chrome but I have heard about how smooth it is at running Javascript and extensions. For Windows XP, I think Mozilla is the hands down best internet browser, it's been on the market longer and the add ons are just fantastic. Firefox is also a relatively small company compared to the giants of Windows and of Apple's Safari and I prefer smaller companies.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm all for Opera. This is the most underrated browser I've ever used.

I don't like Firefox; I found it too difficult to adjust to after years of being on Internet Explorer. Then again, maybe I should give Firefox a second chance because it was the first non-IE browser I ever tried. I only began being aware of the existence of browsers other than IE three or four years ago, hehe.

So yeah, after being a faithful Opera user for two years now, it's very hard to change. I think it's probably the fastest browser... although I'm quite biased for it. One complaint is that some webpages look REALLY messy on Opera because not many people use it so not a lot of webmasters test their webpages on Opera. :\

I'm all for Opera. This is the most underrated browser I've ever used.

I don't like Firefox; I found it too difficult to adjust to after years of being on Internet Explorer. Then again, maybe I should give Firefox a second chance because it was the first non-IE browser I ever tried. I only began being aware of the existence of browsers other than IE three or four years ago, hehe.

So yeah, after being a faithful Opera user for two years now, it's very hard to change. I think it's probably the fastest browser... although I'm quite biased for it. One complaint is that some webpages look REALLY messy on Opera because not many people use it so not a lot of webmasters test their webpages on Opera. :\

I used Opera for some time(until I switched to Firefox). The bad thing about it, apart from what you've already mentioned, is that it saves A LOT of cookies and it will eventually become slower :/