Can you fail Ib year 1?

Hello, i was just wondering what would happen if you get like a 2 in one standard level subject or a 3 in hl subject during the Ib 1 final exams in school? would you have to repeat the year again?? or can you go into the final IB year?? Are there any specific provisions on this mentioned by the I.b??

I'm fairly certain there are no official IBO guidelines on this, but at my school you can certainly fail IB1! Some people choose to redo the year, others move into other types of education. I'm not too sure about the specifics of individual subjects, but if you don't get 24 points in your term report at the end of IB1 you aren't allowed to start IB2. But, as said, this is only at my school. (There you also have to have 24 (I think) points from the Pre-IB year grades in the subjects you've chosen in order to even start IB1...)

oh i had no idea that you can repeat the year.

in our school, i dont think we are allowed to repeat the year but to go on the certificate track

after this sem, our ib coordinator will announce who will be registered in the diploma track and who will

be placed under certificate track. i guess that is how our school management distinguishes it

At my school, we don't really have "IB1" finals for each course. We only started getting number grades instead of percentages only around the midpoint of this year.

Basically, you can't really "fail," but you can certainly do very poorly, at my school. As far as I know, you won't be forced to be dropped out or anything if you do super badly, but the teachers may encourage you to.

At my school we have mock exams twice a year. If by the spring mock you don't have the 24 points that are required when you graduate the IB, they won't let you go on to the final year. There's a couple boys in my class that are facing that now. They only got like 1s or 2s in some subjects, so they have to completely redo this year! Mostly they don't 'like' to do that at my school, and they try to encourage you to retake tests and do extra work so you prove worthy... but these people in question just gave up and decided not to come to school until the next school year. Go figure!

My school has no standards. You can fail any grade from elementary to high school if you don't pass English or Religion. How stupid? Maths isn't even a requirement. No one has failed a grade for ages now, even though they got 2's in their end of year exams.

As everyone else has said, it really comes down to the school's policies in situations such as this. Out of my IB cohort, several people were failing after year 1. Some were moved to certificates, others left the IB program entirely, and some just changed their course - for example, going to standard maths instead of HL.